Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: El Paso vs. Lubbock Which City is Better
El Paso 39 54.17%
Lubbock 33 45.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 10:53 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
AirportFan, Where is this vote?

From: https://www.guidelive.com/questionab...leisure-survey

Any poll of rude cities that doesn't have Seattle and metro New Jersey near the top is not to be trusted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,863 times
I have spent time in both cities and it my opinion that each one has advantages over the other. El Paso has its negatives just as Lubbock. However Lubbock feels more like a community that supports the interests of all of its people. El Paso has much better Mexican Food for sure.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:47 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
El Paso....duh....lol

Old 07-31-2018, 05:02 AM

511 posts, read 399,343 times
El Paso for sure.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:02 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I choose none of the above.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:40 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I prefer Lubbock.

Old 04-10-2022, 01:43 PM

11 posts, read 12,985 times
I want to move to the Southwest, and I had been considering El Paso or Las Cruces. (I posted as much at the El Paso folder.)

Now I am considering Lubbock instead of El Paso.

Background: I am in my mid-50s. I work in healthcare. I live in Toledo, Ohio (which is halfway between Cleveland and Detroit.) I am single, and I don't have dependents. I like my home, but I don't like winter or humidity anymore. I fell in love with the Southwest 30 years ago when I traveled and worked there. Now, I am considering relocating to the Southwest to finish my career and then to retire. I need a city, with plenty of opportunities in education and healthcare, and a full-service airport.

El Paso seems to have everything that I need.

However...
  • It's really hot in El Paso for much of the year. I would like some cooler weather too.
  • El Paso has a mountain ridge running through the middle of it. I am a flatlander from the Midwest, and I actually prefer flat terrain.
  • Also, I prefer a smaller city: a place that has urban amenities and opportunities, but also a small-town vibe.
  • I like college towns, for the intellectual and cultural amenities, but they tend to be liberal, and I am more conservative.
So, I looked for a city in the Southwest which has some cool weather during the year, flat terrain, a small town vibe, urban amenities including an airport, strong opportunities in higher education and healthcare, and which tends to be conservative.

It seems that Lubbock might suit me.
What do you think?

Old 04-10-2022, 04:06 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie.2022 View Post
I want to move to the Southwest, and I had been considering El Paso or Las Cruces. (I posted as much at the El Paso folder.)

Now I am considering Lubbock instead of El Paso.

Background: I am in my mid-50s. I work in healthcare. I live in Toledo, Ohio (which is halfway between Cleveland and Detroit.) I am single, and I don't have dependents. I like my home, but I don't like winter or humidity anymore. I fell in love with the Southwest 30 years ago when I traveled and worked there. Now, I am considering relocating to the Southwest to finish my career and then to retire. I need a city, with plenty of opportunities in education and healthcare, and a full-service airport.

El Paso seems to have everything that I need.

However...
  • It's really hot in El Paso for much of the year. I would like some cooler weather too.
  • El Paso has a mountain ridge running through the middle of it. I am a flatlander from the Midwest, and I actually prefer flat terrain.
  • Also, I prefer a smaller city: a place that has urban amenities and opportunities, but also a small-town vibe.
  • I like college towns, for the intellectual and cultural amenities, but they tend to be liberal, and I am more conservative.
So, I looked for a city in the Southwest which has some cool weather during the year, flat terrain, a small town vibe, urban amenities including an airport, strong opportunities in higher education and healthcare, and which tends to be conservative.

What do you think?
I have no direct experience of El Paso or Las Cruces (but I did live in Albuquerque for over a decade), but it sure sounds to me as if Lubbock is much closer to what you are looking for. Be forewarned, however, that cooler weather can quickly alternate with days in the 80's, even in the winter and early spring. But you will at least get more cool days in Lubbock than El Paso.

And healthcare jobs are plentiful in Lubbock, but that might be true everywhere these days.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:48 AM

751 posts, read 1,481,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie.2022 View Post

What do you think?
Just my $0.02, worth considerably less than asking price.

Las Cruces is a cool town, but IMO a little more remote than Lubbock. I do not know the airport situation there, or the social vibe either. It is closer to the NM mountains than Lubbock is, though.
What I do know is that in New Mexico, there is a state income tax but a small property tax, and the state politics are much more liberal than Texas.
I have a daughter that has lived in Albq for a number of years is honestly the only reason I even know this paltry information about NM.

I have lived as an adult in the Tx Panhandle and South Plains for nearly 40 years and am intimately familiar with both Lubbock and Amarillo.
Texas has a much bigger property tax, but no income tax.
Lubbock has a small airport, jet service to a few places, but most long distance flights connect through larger airports like DFW. You can easily get to where you want to fly, but there is an extra leg (and expense) of flying to a larger airport to make a connecting flight.
Lubbock is plenty warm in the summer, but not brutally so. Fairly dry, there are dust storms in the spring, and winter is not brutal at all. Snow a few times some years, but snow is gone within a day or two nearly every time.
Lubbock is flat. If you like flat, you will like Lubbock.
Lubbock is remote enough from large metro areas like Dallas, that it has plenty of amenities. Not everything like a large metro of course, but plenty to keep a person entertained that does not require metro amenities.
There is a thriving healthcare community, as Lubbock is the destination for much of the healthcare for miles around.
Lubbock as a whole is pretty conservative, but there is a healthy amount of liberal tossed in because of Texas Tech, and a fair amount of independent thinkers as well. Just about whatever kind of politics you are comfortable with, Lubbock has.

Lubbock is one of the easiest cities to get around in. All the major parts of town are a grid, E-W and N-S, and the entire city can be crossed in a matter of minutes.

I currently live outside Amarillo, but have deep roots in Lubbock and spend a lot of time there. Amarillo is very similar, but has a little terrain outside the Palo Duro Canyon.
Culturally, Lubbock leans a little more white collar, Amarillo a little more blue collar. Generalizations of course, and just my own opinion.

I am fortunate enough to be able to live anywhere I choose, and still choose this area. It is not for everyone, but I very much enjoy life in the Panhandle/South Plains of Texas. It is not perfect, but neither am I, and I just kinda fit in.

Hope this is some sort of help.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:46 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
What about Abilene?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock