Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 05:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,803 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all. We will be moving there early next year. I'm interested in knowing what social media sites I can join in order to find out information about Lubbock. We will need some contractors like flooring, plumbing, etc. Are there other sites like this forum? I tried Nextdoor.com, but it doesn't seem to have anything for our address. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 09:17 PM

437 posts, read 924,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinklednose View Post
Hi y'all. We will be moving there early next year. I'm interested in knowing what social media sites I can join in order to find out information about Lubbock. We will need some contractors like flooring, plumbing, etc. Are there other sites like this forum? I tried Nextdoor.com, but it doesn't seem to have anything for our address. TIA.
Will Angie's List work?

Old 10-18-2016, 09:38 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,334,057 times
In the past seven years I have a small amount of experience with private contractors from Lubbock, e.g., sheetrock, painting and barn door repair at an area farm I have been restoring for retirement. I'm sorry to say that my experiences have all been less than good. However, from those experiences, my primary recommendation would be to require anyone you plan to hire to have recent references and for you to review those references very carefully. Secondarily, require a mutually signed pre-work contract as to exactly what is to be completed for the money that is expected to be paid.

I should tell you that none of my experiences were with well established Lubbock businesses with in-store employees. Some of my work, like the repair of Quonset barn doors, required experience and knowledge that could not be found in any of the current established modern door businesses. In this work I had to hire an individual with a private shop who had experience with these old buildings. He did a great job reconstructing and reinstalling the doors but he disappeared as soon as paid him for the complete work he was supposed to do which included repairing the two barn skylights. They were left undone.

Which brings me to my third recommendation; never pay for any labor costs before the work is completed. Any reputable contractor should have the resources to start and finish any job they elect to take on. A pre-work signed contract protects you and the contractor when money is not yet on the table.

And fourthly, beware of unlicensed and non-bonded contractors on Craig's List who say they can do the work but require much more than the cost of "parts and equipment" before they will even start.

Regarding Angie's List, Home Advisors and other such online services, I will also tell you to be wary. Last year, at our central New Mexico home, a contractor recommended to me by Home Advisors estimated a job at my house for over $6,000. I hired a fellow to help me do the heavy lifting and did the work to city code myself for about $1,500. In short, do your own local research and do not depend only on the research of online agencies.

At any rate, welcome to the Lubbock area and best of luck getting the work you need done.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:45 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,362,268 times
maybe Home Advisors.Do your own due diligence though

Old 02-25-2017, 09:03 AM

Default much thanks for the heads up

I really appreciate you taking the time to write me with such sound advice. I have become more trusting with these things lately, but really can't afford that at this time. Living in the Dallas area, we seem to have many more choices for these professions. I will certainly heed your advise. I do have a number of friends and acquaintances in the Lubbock area that have reported similar outcomes. ie. not happy with the quality of the work, etc.
My husband and I can do some of the work, but not all. Just don't have that energy anymore.
Thanks again,
We are still in the process of moving (another daunting task) and look forward to getting out of Dallas before the heat starts up... can't wait to get 3000 ' above sea level to enjoy a cooler summer.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:10 AM

437 posts, read 924,286 times
We moved to Lubbock last summer and had some work done to our home. What I learned from visiting with people in that line of work is that the exploding growth in Lubbock makes it difficult to find good contractors. There is so much new construction-both residential and commercial- that they all have all the work they can handle. Apparently, new construction is easier and pays better. We did find some wonderful people to do our flooring and countertops. I'd be happy to give you their info. If needed, PM me. Good luck and welcome to Lubbock!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:06 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,334,057 times
Quote:
My husband and I can do some of the work, but not all. Just don't have that energy anymore. Thanks again,
We are still in the process of moving (another daunting task) and look forward to getting out of Dallas before the heat starts up... can't wait to get 3000 ' above sea level to enjoy a cooler summer.
At 67 years, and having made several long moves in my life, I definitely understand the loss of energy and reluctance to making any move.

Since you have acquaintances in Lubbock, I would also add that you should try to use them as much as possible for recommendations if they are somewhat reliable acqaintances. I've always said the most expensive part of moving is losing your local contacts who know the ins and outs of the area.

Be safe in your move.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:49 PM

308 posts, read 637,587 times
Try the Lubbock subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lubbock/

The demographic skews young but it's a good read.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:20 PM

Default thanks

Thanks Stanwood... this is exactly what I've been loooking for...

Old 04-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Status: "College baseball this weekend." (set 20 hours ago)

52,671 posts, read 47,918,263 times
Quote:
Thanks Stanwood... this is exactly what I've been loooking for...
We're glad. Keep in touch with some updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock