U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2008, 12:07 PM

94 posts, read 297,677 times

Advertisements

hello to all... my name is mike and i'm currently living in northern NJ. I'm looking to make a move out of NJ and Lubbock TX is one of the locations on my list. i have never visited Lubbock but plan to before the end of April.
I'm a Realtor here in NJ and would be looking to do the same in Texas. Through Research i have found that Lubbock has a small town feel to it, is this correct? Is this a great place to start a family? Is it Safe or do i have to worry about being robbed,
burglarized? Is the Real estate market active? Are Homes selling at a good pace?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 07:59 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,378,886 times
case........I notice you very nicely skipped right over the words to the song Mac Davis wrote about Lubbock.....LOL!!!

Another musician in Lubbock was John Denver.....his band (The Hot Nuts) were a fairly big deal when I was in school there.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Status: "Merry Christmas! And 20 million views!" (set 5 hours ago)

36,846 posts, read 20,016,933 times
Default Come On Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by todaro3577 View Post
hello to all... my name is mike and i'm currently living in northern NJ. I'm looking to make a move out of NJ and Lubbock TX is one of the locations on my list. i have never visited Lubbock but plan to before the end of April.
I'm a Realtor here in NJ and would be looking to do the same in Texas. Through Research i have found that Lubbock has a small town feel to it, is this correct? Is this a great place to start a family? Is it Safe or do i have to worry about being robbed,
burglarized? Is the Real estate market active? Are Homes selling at a good pace?
Now, don't be nervous, todaro. There are no perfect cities or towns. Lubbock, for the most part, is safe. This is an area that is ripe for a renaissance. It is going through growth patterns never experienced before. The city is also celebrating its 100th birthday in the next year (feel free to take a look at another thread I had on that subject). My best advice is to come on down. Like I've said previously, now is a great time to get involved in this up-and-coming city. I'm not trying to overhype this, because now there's plenty of hype. You're in realty, right? Here's an opportunity, right here, right now. I think you will enjoy it in Lubbock --- and Texas, too, for that matter.

By the way, Texas' real estate and housing are doing better than the national average.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:26 PM

case44,

thank you very much for your response and the information provided is appreciated. i have a family living in houston that speak of how wonderfull houston is, but for some reason my thoughts always turn to lubbock as per information i have gathered via internet.
i have a few more things hopefully you can give me some input on. ive gathered some of this information through the internet and wonder if they really are issues or not....

flooding? is it common? if yes are the results of flooding bad?
hail storms? common as well?
home invasions i hear are becoming or are currently poplular in texas? true or false?
west nile virus?
fire ants? rattle snakes and copper head snakes? big presence?
black widow and brown recluse spiders?
tree roaches?
home insurance avg cost?
pet restrictions?
cost of energy?
police pressence?
which areas of lubbock are high crime areas?
sorry for all the questions but im very curious.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,765,346 times
Flooding: As long as you're not next to a lake or in a flood plain, you're prob. ok.
Hail storms: Exist throughout Texas, probably not as bad in Lubbock as in other areas.
Home invasions happen everywhere, but are not very common. Just secure your place of residence.
West Nile is not very common.
I don't know if fire ants have made it to Lubbock. Rattlesnakes are not very common. Don't know about spiders.
I've not heard of tree roaches.
Homeowners insurance is high in Texas.
Don't know about pet restrictions.
There are two energy companies, I believe: SPS and LP&L, unless things have changed in the last few years. Cost is probably lower than in NJ.
Police: I always see plenty when I'm there.
The growing sides of town are pretty safe (SW, NW). I would advise against moving near the SE side.

Hopefully this answered some of your questions. Others might be able to respond more in depth.

Last edited by shoe01; 03-03-2008 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-04-2008, 09:16 PM

189 posts, read 427,143 times
There are no fire ants in Lubbock. There are roaches, but no tree ones and they are MUCH smaller than the ones in south TX. There are black widows and brown recluse spiders; however, I never found a brown recluse ever at my house I grew up in for 15 yrs. and only found a black widow once outside and that was this past summer when I was visiting my parents. So.... I would say pretty uncommon. No rattlesnakes in town, never heard of a problem. They are out in the country. I'm not sure what you mean about pet restrictions. Number of dogs allowed at a resident or what type of pets...etc? I would say that as long as you stay west of the street, Indiana Ave., then you could live anywhere in south lubbock. My parents live between Indiana Ave. and Quaker Ave. and it's a very safe and quiet neighborhood. They are also south of 82nd street. North of 4th street on the west side of Lubbock is a nice area with lots of new homes, restaurants, and stores popping up everywhere. There is a very nice grocery store (locally owned) called United and the market street ones are awesome. I wish we had them here! Lubbock is a safe town, overall. Of course, there are a few parts of town I wouldn't want to hang around at at night, but what city doesn't have that? As far as flooding, the city has really helped in fixing this problem. The playa lakes around town used to flood bad near Loop 289, but they have a drainage system that helps... not a problem driving around that part of town now. Flooding is not common, Lubbock is not much of a rainy place. We only had one bad hail storm the whole time I lived there. The hail was golf ball sized hail. Never have we had soft ball or grapefruit sized hail like you hear about in north Tx (Dallas area.) Oh... my parent's home has never been broken into and neither was my home I was in for 7yrs. I think the worst type of theft there is is car theft, and that wasn't too much of a problem either. Hope this helps. I really liked Lubbock. You will have to get used to the scenery, but everything else about Lubbock was great. I miss it.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:57 PM

hello back2tx, thanks for your response. im looking forward to visiting lubbock very soon, even if i dont end up living there , its sounds like a great place and im very curious and anxious to make the visit.
as per your answer to pet restrictions, i was just wondering if it was similiar to some developments in houston where restrictions allow you to only have 2 or 3 pets , 2dogs or 2 cats or a cat and a dog, etc.
also curious to know , maybe you can help, is the music scene in lubbock alive and well? do they have original music, cover music ( bands playing other bands music, top hits of today etc.) and tribute bands like NJ has?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 PM

PS. also as far as winter, does it really snow much there or just some small snow fall here and there?

Old 03-05-2008, 04:55 PM

189 posts, read 427,143 times
I'm not sure about bands. I love music... just didn't have or make the time to find bands to listen to. I know at a few of the coffee shops there were some acoustic guitar performers. Texas Tech has a great music hall and people perform there. There is a Lubbock orchestra and musicals come through town.

Back when I went clubbing... we would have live performances of various bands at the Beer Garden, but that building is now part of the Buddy Holly museum. I'm kinda out of the loop for that question.

I remember one Christmas eve we got 12 inches of snow, which was awesome and closed down the town. That's really the only major snow I ever experienced there. Other than that..... you may be lucky enough to get snow for a day and then it all melt away the next. Nothing like what you are used to up in NJ, I'm sure.

Lubbock was a great place to grow up. You are 4 hrs from snow skiing in Ruidoso, NM. 2 hrs. north is a great place to go hiking in Palo Duro Canyons (near Amarillo.) Texas Tech football and basketball games were tons of fun. It can be blazing hot during the day in the summer and cool off quite nicely at night. Lubbock is definitely unique. There is also a great variety of restaurants there and some awesome Mexican food! If you don't end up there.... it still would be a nice place to visit. The sunsets are amazing.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,441 times
Default Do you know anything about Frenship schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2TX View Post
Lubbock does get pretty hot during the summer, but it's a dry heat. There isn't a zoo there. There is a science spectrum, a small amuzement park (called Joy Land), and a water park (called Water Rampage) for kids to enjoy. There are also nice parks around town with playgrounds. There are lots of sports teams your kids can get involved with during the summer. Lubbock is a very friendly town with some great schools and teachers. I lived there for 17yrs and taught for 7 yrs there. I still have family there and visit, so I still know about what's happening in Lubbock.
Lubbock is a safe city. Of course, there are some parts of town you wouldn't want to live in.... but a realtor would let you know where. If you have any more questions feel free to send me a message. Hope you like it like I did, if you choose to move there!
I have a daughter who will attend high school - we are looking at Lubbock high with its IB/dual college credit/band. Do you know anything about the high schools in Lubbock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock