U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:43 PM

15,429 posts, read 20,200,304 times

Advertisements

ActuallyFromLubbock,

It's been too many years since my family lived in Lubbock but my wife and I are thinking about retiring to the area in the coming months. Basically we will be seeking a house with acreage and barns. Some of the areas we have looked into include the areas around Brownfield, Ropesville, Shallowater, Wolfforth, and even Hockley County. Any major things going on in these areas we should look out for?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 PM

12 posts, read 36,135 times
If you are looking to stay out of the city, then Wolfforth is not the best place to be looking. The area is growing really fast, and if you buy land in that area, the taxes will get expensive, and land developers will be knocking on your door. I would suggest looking at the Shallowater area and Lynn County. There are also some great areas east of Lubbock in Crosby County that are greener and have cheap land around the Caprock Escarpment.

Last edited by ActuallyFromLubbock; 04-10-2008 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-10-2008, 09:43 PM

Yes, driving around Wolfforth I got the same feeling of not really getting out of the rat race as I did when someone suggested that I simply move from the west side of Albuquerque to Edgewood, NM. That town too is about to be swamped by the City's growth.

We have looked around Shallowater. We like most of what we see and have considered it would be an easier trip to Muleshoe to manage some inexpensive residential and commercial rental properties we have there. However, we have talked about selling these should we get the opportunity.

I haven't looked to the east of Lubbock verymuch but you are right about the Caprock. Some of that area has some nice views and is not too far from Lubbock. Coincidentally, as I read your reply about that area, I looked up at an old baseball cap I have hanging on a hat tree beside my computer desk that says "Where the Dickens is Dickens?" The cap came from my days working with the Texas boll weevil program nearly 25 years ago. In my recent internet searches I do recall running across a couple of properties around Roaring Springs but I can't remember what they were. I need to drive over there and check the areas out this summer. I've forgotten much about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM

14 posts, read 15,150 times
Just letting you know High_Plains_Retired, this is ActuallyFromLubbock under a new screen name. I felt the other one was a little obnoxious and condescending.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander92 View Post
Just letting you know High_Plains_Retired, this is ActuallyFromLubbock under a new screen name. I felt the other one was a little obnoxious and condescending.
I didn't think so at all. I just recently found these forums and the High Plains and retired just popped into my head at registration. I suppose it serves only to let others know they are simply talking to an old coot.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:54 PM

664 posts, read 1,986,222 times
I grew up on S. 88th drive (off of 82nd and Indiana, within the highlighted area). I am 28 and the houses neighborhood had been there my whole life, with a nice park across the street. There is a new developement in the area but the majority of the houses are older.

88th drive may not show up on some maps as there is only 1 house on that street.. mine. Causing some problems with pizza delivery and emergency vehicles. If the paint marks are still on the curb around the park (McCullough?? I believe was the name of the park) then 7 times around the park was like 20 miles.

I remember as a kid running around that whole square mile (and riding my bike to Waters Elemtary to go to school). Back in those days on summer nights you could hear the sprint/midget car races..

Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 PM

51,725 posts, read 45,385,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
I grew up on S. 88th drive (off of 82nd and Indiana, within the highlighted area). 88th drive may not show up on some maps as there is only 1 house on that street.. mine.
You'd think that even if such a street or cul-de-sac existed at all, it would be located on a map. Surely, Rand McNally and Mapquest would have caught that.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
I grew up on S. 88th drive (off of 82nd and Indiana, within the highlighted area). 88th drive may not show up on some maps as there is only 1 house on that street.. mine. Causing some problems with pizza delivery and emergency vehicles.
I know exactly what street you're talking about. The street serves as access to other streets except one homebuilder decided to face the house another way. A similar thing happened on Memphis Drive in my neighborhood.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:43 AM

7,137 posts, read 14,169,112 times
I work at Tech, and there is a very nice older neighborhood between 4th and 19th off Quaker, with lovely older homes and nicely kept yards. Not sure the name of the area though. I like to go over there to look at real estate, and would consider buying there.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:53 AM

The area is called the Rush neighborhood. Historically it was home to many Tech professors and doctors. It is one of the most expensive neighborhoods, but it's also one of the most pleasant neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock