U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2012, 06:28 PM

209 posts, read 230,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
I think you're being too hard on Lubbock. It is still growing, and growing faster than Amarillo for that matter. And it is still a good place to live - friendly people, stable economy, low cost of living, little traffic congestion, etc.

You are right, though, that the loss of Reese and TI really hurt the city. I was one of those engineers who left. If some REAL high tech jobs would come to Lubbock (and not the crap at Reese "Technology" center) I very well might move back.

Northwest Texas won't be like Huntsville, Al. Huntsville is a pure technical town. Lubbock maybe a mix from my perspective. But the only point is Lubbock has snow in Winter, this is awful..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 PM

347 posts, read 377,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Coherence is your friend.

Ha! This almost made me fall out of my chair laughing!

Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM

13 posts, read 9,392 times
Thumbs up Coherentism is an epistemological theory

Born to a dry land farmer outside Lubbock, Lorenzo in the county pf Crosby, (which gave permission for Lubbock County to be formed) my Dad gave me the lesson of "Common Sense". Also, always speak how you feel, you may feel surprised at how many people will agree with you.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,691,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Racially most people get along pretty well. Our biggest minority is Hispanic, there are some blacks here, a few Asians. There's a large area of bars on the south end of downtown that's pretty popular. This is a Republican town, mostly supportive of the military, mostly conservative. But like any place you'll have various viewpoints, but if you stand out for having very liberal opinions you may find the vibe a bit chilly. Lubbock has the conveniences of most places, just it's one of this, one of that. The exception is Walmart and some fast food chains. I've heard many times that average pay in Lubbock is low. Cost of living has definitely risen. How do I feel about Lubbock? Barnes & Noble and the movie theatres make it tolerable. But I miss good scenery, and while I'm not a liberal I find the extreme conservatism here makes for a bland lifestyle.
Just trowing this in, there are also a couple of Hastings stores.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 PM

165 posts, read 115,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinKat View Post
I felt Lubbock was really pretty, but I do miss water or vegetation. But like I said, I'm priced out (I think) out of many places with warm, sunshine, and water. ABQ is totally out of my reach, so is Las Cruces, so is Austin, so is Flagstaff, Charleston, Savannah, etc and etc, so is the Gulf side of Florida altho that doesn't have a lot of sun but it is warm and pretty.

Anyone know any warm places with interesting vegetation that is affordable??? I bet if you do you are keeping it a secret.
The economy isn't great here, but have you considered southern Colorado? Some cheap living especially in the Pueblo area, and since the recession the Springs is pretty affordable (but colder) too.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 AM

13 posts, read 9,392 times
Wink Great weather and cheaper than the PanHandle.

Yes, we lived for two years in the Lubbock area. Yes we paid the high prices of water and other rates. We paid the high rates for insurance and the blister of bad weather.
Yes, we moved to California, Atwater, California to be exact. Water rate here is $16.00 a month, no meter.
Same size house as in Texas, $350.00 for insurance, live in an area that is on sand so no earthquake insurance needed. Our health insurance went down when we moved here????? Our car license was actually cheaper here than in Texas.
Yes our economy is slow, but it is growing. We have a WalMart distribution system coming in, they just announced a 105 acre shopping center, with a hospital on the site.
The only problem here is the city council has run the city into the hole and we are in the process of removing them from their seats.
Housing is at a good rate and what the property is worth, not like we sold our house when we left Texas and gave it away to sell it.
The weather is great, grapes, almonds, figs, tomatoes, cotton, wheat and so on in abundance. Gas price was the same as we paid in Texas?????? And on the grocery side, while in Texas they show you produce that they throw away here, I know, as I was a produce man in a grocery store. Fresh vegetables in abundance and lots of fruit stands everywhere. Like strawberries.....WOW.....
It may not be paradise, but central California has it... 90 miles from Yosemite, 90 miles from the ocean, 90 miles from San Francisco and 400 miles from Los Angeles.
Check out Merced County, California.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 AM

915 posts, read 845,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinKat View Post
Thank you for the replies. I am not an extra-crunchy liberal by any means, I am just bored with everything where i am having to be somehow church-related and really button-downed.

I really like a mix of cultures and here it's just two.

I felt Lubbock was really pretty, but I do miss water or vegetation. But like I said, I'm priced out (I think) out of many places with warm, sunshine, and water. ABQ is totally out of my reach, so is Las Cruces, so is Austin, so is Flagstaff, Charleston, Savannah, etc and etc, so is the Gulf side of Florida altho that doesn't have a lot of sun but it is warm and pretty.

Anyone know any warm places with interesting vegetation that is affordable??? I bet if you do you are keeping it a secret.

Why are you priced out of Las Cruces? I'm thinking of moving there in order to avoid the threat of tornaodes in Lubbock, and to get med. mj (cancer & arthritis). My sense of Cruces is that it's not expensive, and a nice college town, like Lubbock but no natural disasters to speak of.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,682,667 times
mellow like a hot pepper, haha! ive seen how people react thr during tech games (rushing field like a mob) how the youths ripped/uprooted obama signs more recently and beat up the kid recording it (youtube), and mind you i dont mean this politically, just the tolerability ;been to similar po dunk towns in arkansas, etc. not bashing as this appeals to some and happens virtually anywhere, just accentuated in smaller towns where thts all thr is imo, unless you are a conservative, anglo saxon bible thumper, prefer predominantly one culture, or labor forces you thr, I would keep looking.

-very secular white person

Last edited by tekka-maki; 10-30-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock