Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2006, 12:02 PM

50 posts, read 295,311 times

Advertisements

My husband is being considered for a position with a fairly large Christian radio company and the position is in Lubbock TX. We are from CA and we've lived in NV(due to his job)that is as far east as we have lived!

I would like to find out what Lubbock is like? We have a teen daughter (freshman in H/S)and a little girl (pre-school)we are Non-denominational and very involved with our church here and will be involved with a church there...we are an inter-racial family (married 17 years)and enjoy outdoor activities and people. We are the types that get along with everyone and living in CA is hard cause noone wants to talk or even say "hi" anymore!

What is the weather like? As I stated, we lived in the desert (Las Vegas)and know extreme heat--I lived in the south as a teen so I know all about humidity and BUGS!

My teen would like to know what type of shopping is in that area and are people accepting of families like us?

Thanks for your help! From what I've read, everyone is very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 03:23 PM

15,232 posts, read 35,410,327 times
Lubbock is a very different kind of place. I have not lived there, but know many, many people that went the Texas Tech (TT). They either fled as fast as they could get out of college, or just loved the place.

Anyway, I can't personally answer anything about inter-racial couples, but I would be a little worried about acceptance (more so than in Dallas/Austin/Houston, anyway). Check your area of town carefully. I am sure there are some Lubbockites (Lubbockers?) who can help in that regard.

The weather is hot in the summer (but dry), cold in the winter (occasionally, bitterly cold), and always windy . Dust storms are impressive the first time or two you see one. Not very green, but if you like desert scenery, there are some geological formations around the area that are quite impressive.

Can't help with the shopping, although it is a big enough city to have most of the major 'mid' chains, there will be little in the way of 'upscale' shopping. Some consider that a blessing .

Old 12-27-2006, 12:30 PM

1,334 posts, read 6,419,789 times
Lubbock is a great town. Very friendly. Very sunny. Some of the best sunset vistas you've ever seen. Sure, it's flat on the caprock, but there are some great canyons just 10 minutes out of town and lots of trees in the town.

For a city of 200,000 it has much more to do amenity-wise than other cities of comparable-size. This is due to the fact Lubbock is home to a major university and it is also the medical/healthcare hub for a very large geographic region including West Texas and Eastern New Mexico.

The Tech campus is beautiful.

Much of the growth in Lubbock tends to be in the Southwest

The schools are pretty well-regarded.

Very nice place to raise a family.

There is very little humidity, so I really loved the weather when I lived there. The weather in the Spring isn't so great, though and you will get the occasional dust storm which doesn't happen very often (10x maybe?), but is a sight to behold when it does. Lubbock (unlike the rest of Texas) has four distinct seasons.

Pics:

http://www.english.ttu.edu/images/tour/Picture9.jpg (broken link)

http://www.texastech.edu/gallery/tour1/Jones-Stadium-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-27-2006, 12:32 PM

1,334 posts, read 6,419,789 times

Visit my Lubbock thread for more info:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...g-lubbock.html

Old 12-27-2006, 02:08 PM

50 posts, read 295,311 times
Thanks to both of you for your honest opinions..as with all places there are pros/cons! We lived in Vegas for 4 years and had MANY dust storms and they were NO JOKE..so we are used to that! I prefer the wind to the humidity..and as for bugs, well the desert has some pretty nasty bugs (that fly, buzz and attack)so used to that too! I am in the medical field out here in CA and a HUGE plus for us is that the company my husband is applying with pays the medical/dental/vision for the entire family! I currently pay over $600 a month for these benefits through my current employer! I also know that I can afford to take a "cut in pay" because our cost of living is through the roof here on the West Coast...and we don't live by the ocean either!

Old 12-27-2006, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 11,910 times
I used to live in Lubbock with my fiance and we have recently moved back to Dallas. I miss Lubbock everyday!

Traffic is not bad at all except for Slide and the S. Loop intersection in the afternoons. Other than that you can go from north to south; east to west in 15 mintues top, usually 10. Housing is affordable, and there are alot of nice new home developments coming up to the northwest, southwest and southeast areas of Lubbock.

The weather was great, we usually got snow in the winter, it wouldnt last but a day or two, but it stayed cool to cold, which is what I prefer. The summers would get hot, dry heat, very little humidity. It is flat till you go out towards the caprock, which will provide you with ample photo opportunities.

Its a great town, freindly people. Plenty of places to eat, check out Gardskies near downtown if you get the chance, great food.

There is also a vineyard just outside of Lubbock to the east, Llano Wine.

Just out 114 to the east you can go and pick your own apples - something fun to do with your spouse.

Good luck on your move and I hope that you enjoy Lubbock.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:54 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,588,969 times
I moved here a few months ago, and have enjoyed Lubbock, except for the wind and dust! Lubbock up on a plateau, about 3400 ft.?, hence the windy weather. Is really hot, but dry in summer, evenings cool down.

Texas Tech activities and sports the hub for alot of people here. Lots of churches, especially the nondenominational type. Not alot of culture, a few museums, and if you like Buddy Holly, he has a museum also. There is an awful thing here called The Loop, highly dangerous. The drivers here are crazy! And Slide is very terrible for traffic.

There is a pretty nice mall, and all the usual chain stores. But am happy there is Barnes&Noble, a health food store and Starbucks! There are two major hospital systems for health care. People are friendly and economy is good. Tons of new construction going on, which I do not like. Housing is booming out southwest of town.

I see alot of Caucasion/Hispanic mix of couples. Don't know what your interracial mix is, but hispanics make up 30-40% of population here. I don't think your kids will have any problems finding places to shop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: