Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 03:24 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
My mom and dad were both from near Lubbock and actually met in Lubbock. So, if it were not for Lubbock, I might not be here! I have lots of relatives there. Even though Lubbock is a larger city, I feel that it is less of a city than Amarillo--which seems more cosmopolitan to me even though it is smaller. I don't dislike Lubbock; it is just not my favorite of the West Texas metropolitan areas. The dust and lack of scenery bother me, but it is becoming a real city---slowly.
Just give them time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 05:00 AM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
Lubbock bites. If you are a Bush backer, a card carrying Republican, enjoy country weather and music and a regressive atmosphere... keep it traditional you know... then you'll like Lubbock.

Its doesn't embrace diversity or progressive development like Portland OR or Austin TX.
Its a good place for people who like old times and strip malls.
There is a "new urbanism" development in S. Lubbock called Vintage Township. While it might not be on the par of Portland or downtown Austin, it's not cookie-cutter suburbia either.

Other projects in Lubbock at least look trendy, and not like typical excrement you find in other cities, such as a certain suburb just north of Austin on I-35 .

Old 05-02-2008, 07:17 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2TX View Post
Hmmm.... makes me wonder if the reason for such a negative speculation of Lubbock has to do with the poster being an aggie???

Not at all. I don't hold anything against any other school, as I'm 8+ years removed from that mentality, which was never a serious one to begin with. (If you're a young college grad in the workforce, College Station bites. Plenty of ignorant "Boo-shays" there, trust me.) This was just a silly thread about perceptions/stereotypes of Lubbock, and that's what I tried to humorously give. National publicity about this town isn't exactly positive.

As far as Portland goes, it's a good place to visit, eat & drink a lot of real beer at the numerous microbreweries, then get out. Much too crowded for my tastes, expensive, and very regressive & restrictive in ways different than certain parts of Texas. Though I can't blame them because that part of Oregon from the Williamette Valley to the coast is absolutely beautiful. Has me daydreaming a lot.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
There is a "new urbanism" development in S. Lubbock called Vintage Township. While it might not be on the par of Portland or downtown Austin, it's not cookie-cutter suburbia either.
Hey, shoe, is there a web site for Vintage Township? Just wondering.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:04 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Vintage Township - Lubbock New Homes - Lubbock, TX

Old 05-02-2008, 09:00 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Plains View Post
My post didn't really suggest where I was from, but I was born and raised in Lubbock. As I have traveled and talked with other people, one of the most frequent remarks I have gotten is "You don't look or sound like you're from Texas." (I still don't know if I should take that as a complement.) I guess I'm supposed to be wearing a cowboy hat saying "Howdy Y'all!" When I've told people that I'm from Lubbock, it's been confused with names like Lovett and Luckenbach. I thought it was pretty sad that a tiny town in the Hill Country was more well known than a city of 200K. The only way people can relate to Lubbock is if you tell them it's where Bob Knight last coached.
You mean as you've travelled in Texas or out of the state as far as people commenting on your lack of accent? I worked with a girl back in the 90's who was from Lubbock. She had an accent, not thick like East Texas (like my hubby's accent) but still southern sounding, pronouncing words like night as naht. Like the accent Cathy4017 said she had in another thread.

God almighty, I CANNOT stand that d****yankee Bob Knight. Sorry, but he was an embarrassment in Indiana and I just couldn't believe it when he came to Texas. That was SO wrong!

Old 05-03-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
That's a good site, shoe. The city has such a strict grid pattern that they need more master-planned clusters like this just to break the monotony of continuing street names without really going all the way through. They need new street names, anyway.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:11 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,043 times
Quote:

Other projects in Lubbock at least look trendy, and not like typical excrement you find in other cities, such as a certain suburb just north of Austin on I-35 .

lots of people with lots of money have bad ideas

Old 05-05-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
My mom and dad were both from near Lubbock and actually met in Lubbock. So, if it were not for Lubbock, I might not be here! I have lots of relatives there. Even though Lubbock is a larger city, I feel that it is less of a city than Amarillo--which seems more cosmopolitan to me even though it is smaller. I don't dislike Lubbock; it is just not my favorite of the West Texas metropolitan areas. The dust and lack of scenery bother me, but it is becoming a real city---slowly.
Now, see, James, you really do have something to be thankful for!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:39 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default Lubbock...

I was born and raised in Lubbock. (I have lived in Dallas the past 20+ years, not by choice!) The stereotypes mentioned in this thread are just that,~~ stereotypes. The people are actually pretty diverse although I will admit that Lubbock did always seemed to have a conservative leaning...(but then I'm conservative. So hey, I fit right in there!)

Frankly, I would love to go back there and live but that's probably not going to ever happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock