Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 AM

8 posts, read 14,176 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My husband and I are moving to Lubbock in September, and so we are trying to figure out the best area to live. It seems like the best schools are in the southwest part of town, but we really would prefer an older home (1920s-1960s), lots of trees, and good walkability to shops, parks, and schools. We also have a small daughter, so soon we will need to consider an elementary school for her.
So given that, I wonder if someone could recommend a good neighborhood for us? We would like it to be safe, close to the University, and a good environment for kids that is still fairly urban. People tell me Tech Terrace is not a good location for a family with young kids, but is that true? We definitely don't need to be close to the mall or shopping aside from grocery stores. I think we would be able to spend up to 150,000 or so on a house, although 120-130 or so would be ideal.
Thanks for your help- we are moving to Lubbock from Reykjavik, Iceland so it will be a huge change for us and we are trying to not make it any harder than it has to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
I think Tech Terrace is a very nice neighborhood and should be fine to raise a family. The neighborhood is quite walkable, and Roscoe Wilson, the elementary in the neighborhood, is quite good. It's known for being quite diverse and more rigorous than most schools in town. The reason you heard it might not be good for families is because there are quite a few college kids there, and there are some parties in parts of the neighborhood. However, the northern part of the neighborhood is mostly families and nice older houses just like you're looking for. You could probably get something nice with your budget, but because of the central location, your money won't go quite as far as it would in other parts of town. Good luck with your move! What brings you all the way from Reykjavik?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:55 PM

611 posts, read 2,233,791 times
Tech Terrace is probably the only one that will meet the criteria of older home yet still having good schools

the further south you go and the further west in Tech Terrace the further you get from students

you could look in Maxey Park, but I am not as sure about the schools it draws to

Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
Tech Terrace is probably the only one that will meet the criteria of older home yet still having good schools

the further south you go and the further west in Tech Terrace the further you get from students

you could look in Maxey Park, but I am not as sure about the schools it draws to
Actually, more of the students are in the southern part of the neighborhood because the homes are smaller and have cheaper rent. The northwestern part around 19th and Indiana has the most families.

The area around Maxey Park is okay, but the homes aren't as nice, and it's not really walkable. It feeds into Overton Elementary, which I believe is fine.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 PM

Thanks! It looks like most of the houses available now are in the southwest part of Tech Terrace, especially on 32nd. Would you say that area is pretty noisy? We are moving from a city so some noise and traffic is ok, but if any of us can't sleep that is of course bad.
Also, any thoughts about either the area immediately to the west of the university (around Higinbotham Park?) or to the east of the university? I'm guessing the latter is still fairly 'transitional', but the former seems nice...is Rush elementary decent?
Westerner92, my husband is taking a faculty job at Tech - Iceland is a wonderful place, but there have been a lot of serious government cutbacks in the past couple years, and a permanent faculty job for him has proved elusive. At least we are used to wind and lack of trees!

Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundi View Post
Thanks! It looks like most of the houses available now are in the southwest part of Tech Terrace, especially on 32nd. Would you say that area is pretty noisy? We are moving from a city so some noise and traffic is ok, but if any of us can't sleep that is of course bad.
Also, any thoughts about either the area immediately to the west of the university (around Higinbotham Park?) or to the east of the university? I'm guessing the latter is still fairly 'transitional', but the former seems nice...is Rush elementary decent?
Westerner92, my husband is taking a faculty job at Tech - Iceland is a wonderful place, but there have been a lot of serious government cutbacks in the past couple years, and a permanent faculty job for him has proved elusive. At least we are used to wind and lack of trees!
The SW part of Tech Terrace won't be noisy from traffic, but you might have to make sure there aren't too many rentals with college kids around. From what I've seen on the "real estate" function on Google Maps, there are some houses within your price range in other parts of the neighborhood as well.

The Rush area is a good neighborhood with older homes as I'm sure you're aware of, but it's not really walkable. Rush Elementary is a pretty good school. If you're fine with driving, it's definitely a neighborhood worth looking into.

The South Overton neighborhood east of Tech is walkable, but you are right that it's transitional (with some pretty sketchy blocks here and there), and I'm not sure it would be the best area to look into.

I'm sorry you guys are having to leave a place you like, but it sounds like you have a good attitude, so hopefully you will enjoy it here. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:09 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
I just want to give another thumbs up for Tech Terrace, which was always my all around favourite neighborhood in Lubbock. It has trees, older homes, a lovely park, a great location and is very walkable. I can't comment on school feeder patterns, not having lived in Lubbock for many years, but it sounds from other posters here that the school situation is still fine.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:59 PM

Sounds like a consensus- thanks, everybody! One more question, if I may: would it be considered fairly safe to ride a bike in Tech Terrace, or just in Lubbock generally (at least on residential streets)? I'd have a toddler on the bike with me...

Old 07-21-2010, 03:08 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
Monday, I certainly think so! Tech Terrace is a very nice area. Most of that side of Lubbock is perfectly safe under normal circumstances and you should be able to bike pretty much anywhere you want on the west side of town.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundi View Post
Sounds like a consensus- thanks, everybody! One more question, if I may: would it be considered fairly safe to ride a bike in Tech Terrace, or just in Lubbock generally (at least on residential streets)? I'd have a toddler on the bike with me...
There are some bike lanes in Tech Terrace, and quite a few bikers, so it should be quite safe to ride a bike there.

Lubbock in general is a car-centric town with not many bike lanes, but I've noticed an increasing amount of bikers, so drivers are getting used to watching out for them, and generally the drivers are courteous. I occasionally bike places and I try to stay to the residential streets because it can be pretty nerve-wracking being in a major road with people zooming by you at 40 to 50 miles per hour. So yes, biking is a viable transportation option in Lubbock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock