Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:59 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times

Advertisements

Well, first of all, I'm probably prejudiced in favor of Lubbock. Again, remember I was born and raised there! But by "livable" (this info may be outdated) and again, it's just my obviously biased opinion, but my opinion was that Lubbock had more amenities, restaurants, educational opportunities (Texas Tech) etc. and was just in general, a more attractive (cleaner) looking city. This is also based on years ago and may no longer be the case. Sorry, Amarillo, if I spoke out of my own bias!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,856 times
Default Lubbock is a great city

I just want to clear up the confusion that has been posted about Lubbock. There are some posts on here that makes Lubbock sound like a horrible place to live. I was born and raised in Lubbock and now sell Real Estate there. Why would I do this because Lubbock is GREAT CITY!!! It is a good wholesome place to raise a family. There are plenty of things to do. we have the Depot District where you can pick from many places to go and listen to any type of music any day of the week. Yes we have several Colleges/Universities in the city to pick from, but its not the normal trashy college town. Lubbock ISD is a great place work and enroll your kids. But we also have many surrounding cities that are hiring teachers. You only get one interview with LISD, just to let you know. You can go check out this website, its www.esc17.net, go under the jobs tab at the top and you can find the teachers needed around lubbock. and no we do not ride horses to work. There are some of the best restaruants in town, plenty of them to pick from. It just floored me when there were posts about us being a cow towns We are far from it. If you really look out there there are not that many cows, we are more of a cotton community.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:47 AM

360 posts, read 1,087,461 times
Yes, cotton is king in Lubbock! Very different feel from Amarillo where beef is the biggest economic force. But Amarillo has it's plusses too. The west end is completely new construction, alot of new shopping and restaurants. And much of Amarillo has very mature trees and beautifully kept grass lawns. I'd say that Lubbock with Texas Tech is a more complete city, with one glaring deficiency. The local paper is the worst newspaper for a town this size I've ever seen. Amarillo's paper is twice as good, and that's not saying much. Thankfully USA Today is available.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:23 PM

42 posts, read 210,655 times
Default Lubbock

I moved to Lubbock July 2006 and love it here. I grew up just north of Chicago in Wisconsin. I have lived in Nevada , Calif, and Maryland and I find the nicest people here than any of those other states. Lots of conservitives. The weather is great! Not humid! Some snow and rain but nothing like chicago area! Lubbock is not a "dry" city. Package alcolohol sales are limited to areas just on the edge of town and are very convienent to access. Restraunts and taverns serve alcohol throughout the city. There are great roads here. No congestion. I live on the SW side of town (considered the best area) and the airport is on the NE side and at rush hour it takes 20 Min to get there. Unemployment in Jan was about 3.8%. Cost of living has been dropping for the past 6 months. New industries are moving here. There is a building boom going on. New houses here cost from $70,000 to $350,000. Nice all brick one story houses.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:11 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,117 times
i love the smell of feedlots, and like to see alot of livestock, so i think Amarillo/Pampa area would be more my thing than Lubbock, if cotton is more prevalent than livestock/ranching is...........i NEED to see and SMELL cows

Quote:
Originally Posted by topropeprincess View Post
I think most people consider Lubbock much more pleasant and "livable" than Amarillo. (I don't know about Pampa.)

Why do you say that about Amarillo? What do you mean by "livable". I'm not offended, just curious. I haven't lived there in many years, but I still have family/friends in the area and they love it. I actually have friends who prefer it to Lubbock.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:47 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,043 times
Belle, you're in luck! Every once an awhile...when the wind blows in just the right direction...you'll be taken back home with a familiar olfactory sensation you desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock