U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:32 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,128,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
No way on that. Columbus has thousands of more people than Macon. Go anywhere on a Friday or Saturday night and see how long you wait at places. Last time I checked Macon Mall was bankrupt and had stores closing left and right....
Even in Macon Mall's current state there are still more people there on Fri. and Sat. than Peachtree Mall in Columbus. I have been to them both countless times on the weekend, and does Columbus even have a mall like the Shoppes at River Crossing? The only thing I saw was Columbus Park Crossing which looked very similar to Eisenhower Crossing in Macon except I will say it is a little larger.

Sorry, I'm not saying Columbus isnt a nice place or isnt larger but it just doesnt feel like it's noticeably larger than Macon when I'm there in the way that Savannah and Augusta does. That's my opinion.

Even larger/better clubs here (for what I'm interested in anyway)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 PM

I know Macon (city limits) has our problems, but here's my point.

If a non-growing, economically stagnant, under 100,000 population city like Macon can say that it has bigger and better malls (fact), better interstate access (fact), better skyline (fact), better college (fact), MORE museums/historical sites(fact), and better clubs and bars for those in our teens/early 20s (my opinion) than the ever growing, much larger, more corporate headquarters having Columbus..then what does that say about Columbus lol?

Columbus should be blowing us away in all those categories but it doesnt. I expected it to but it didn't, which is what irritated me about Columbus.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,745,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I know Macon (city limits) has our problems, but here's my point.

If a non-growing, economically stagnant, under 100,000 population city like Macon can say that it has bigger and better malls (fact), better interstate access (fact), better skyline (fact), better college (fact), MORE museums/historical sites(fact), and better clubs and bars for those in our teens/early 20s (my opinion) than the ever growing, much larger, more corporate headquarters having Columbus..then what does that say about Columbus lol?

Columbus should be blowing us away in all those categories but it doesnt.
Your mall is nothing to brag about bc there isn't much left. Columbus has way better museums, definite fact on that one. We have more bars and clubs downtown. You were not old enough to really see the offerings downtown. My guess is that you were 20 or younger while you were here. Enough of this comparison stuff anyways....getting a little immature IMO.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Your mall is nothing to brag about bc there isn't much left. Columbus has way better museums, definite fact on that one. We have more bars and clubs downtown. You were not old enough to really see the offerings downtown. My guess is that you were 20 or younger while you were here. Enough of this comparison stuff anyways....getting a little immature IMO.

Well yeah it's in bad shape but still better than Peachtree, that's my point. As for the museums, if they are better thats only your opinion but it's a fact that we have more, and as for the bars and clubs it didnt look like more to me, and even if it was it certainly wasnt noticeable, both DT in both cities could be alot better. Since Columbus is so much bigger then it should be an obvious difference like in Augusta and Savannah.

But there's no way I can get you to see where I'm coming from if you think Columbus is in the same league as Augusta, so yeah, enough.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,745,067 times
Quote:
But there's no way I can get you to see where I'm coming from if you think Columbus is in the same league as Augusta, so yeah, enough.
Because it is....only difference is they have more people in their metro....for now. No other 2nd tier city in Georgia has the corporate presence, population growth, economic development, etc that Columbus currently has or will experience in the near future. That is a proven economical fact. I am done responding bc this has gotten to be too much.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:18 PM

8,235 posts, read 6,196,625 times
Quote:
New Name?
Uh .. NO. Different person. Nice try.

Quote:
Carmike Cinemas? That's great, but I can go to Amstar or Regal Cinemas here to watch movies.
The Carmike Cinemas chain/corporation is HEADQUARTERED in Columbus. Duh.

Quote:
W.C. Bradley, etc. are not giving me something to do on Saturday night
Actually, it as money from the W.C. Bradley Foundation that BUILT the RiverCenter ... so yes, you could say they are giving the people (maybe not you) something to do on a Saturday night ...

As for your question about whether Savannah or Augusta has something comparable to the RiverCenter, the answer is a profound NO! ... I live in Savannah and the closest thing it's got is the Johnny Mercer Theater, which is part of the Savannah Civic Center and it is AWFUL. Horrible acoustics, though it does still draw big-name acts even so.

Also, the Springer Opera House in downtown Columbus is the state theater of Georgia. Savannah does have two historic theaters that have been restored -- The Lucas and Trustees -- but both are owned by SCAD. I know Macon has an old theater but don't know what they do there, if anything.

The Macon Coliseum used to be a big deal but it's now rundown and obsolete. The Columbus Civic Center trumps it easily. Plans are in the works to build a new arena in Savannah. And Savannah does have the Maritime Trade Center which is the largest convention and facility of its kind outside of Atlanta (comparable to the Georgia International Trade Center in College Park). Macon has nothing to compare.

Quote:
As for the Museums you're naming, the Sports Hall of Fame, Music Hall of Fame
Both of them broke and barely open.

Quote:
Columbus is not Savannah.
Nobody said it was ... ?!

Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 AM

Here we go again. The OP asked for things in and around Macon, so why were the other cities brought up? I know Augusta and Savannah are larger with more things going on than Macon, but from living in both Columbus and Macon, I just didnt get a sense that I was in a bigger city. Even though it obviously isnt, just felt smaller.

You guys are naming things that Columbus has that Macon doesnt or things that both cities have except Columbus has an advanced version. That's cool, but I can do the same for Macon.

Macon has a better location, interstate access, college, skyline, malls and has events/museums that Columbus doesnt have like the cherry blossom festival, music hall of fame, sports hall of fame, ocmulgee national indian mounds. Macon also has a much stronger musical history, being that we have a good number of famous musicians that are either from here or got their start here.

But like I said it's no use even bringing up these FACTS since Columbus posters even think they are on par with Augusta and Savannah.

Last edited by King_X; 08-20-2010 at 02:49 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 08:11 AM

53 posts, read 122,571 times
Quote:
Here we go again. The OP asked for things in and around Macon, so why were the other cities brought up?
^^ This.

If you guys want, I can start a new thread titled "Macon v. Columbus v. Augusta v. Savannah et al".

All I really wanted to know was if Macon was a crap hole or not.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingirls2boys View Post
^^ This.

If you guys want, I can start a new thread titled "Macon v. Columbus v. Augusta v. Savannah et al".

All I really wanted to know was if Macon was a crap hole or not.
people love to argue lol

Last edited by King_X; 08-21-2010 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 01:03 PM

53 posts, read 122,571 times
I know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon