U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,083,968 times
Wow, Bulldawgfan, You must REALLY have proved a point posting that. You won't find many mid-sized metro cities with similar demographics to Macon without seeing similar articles on the homepages of their local websites.

Recent local headlines for Columbus

WTVM.com - News Leader 9, Columbus, GA - WTVM Home

Columbus woman, 20, carjacked at gunpoint
Alleged shoplifter turns attempted murderer in Phenix City
Crime Stoppers: Beware of fake door-to-door sales pitches

Recent local headlines for Savannah

savannahnow.com | Savannah Morning News | Savannah, GA source for Breaking Local News, Sports, Entertainment & Weather

Shooting in West Savannah neighborhood injures one
Teen charged with murder in first homicide of the year
Charge added against man who allegedly shot at metro cop
Man seriously injured in southside shooting

Recent local headlines for Augusta

WRDW-TV News 12 / Home - Serving Augusta, Georgia

Two days, two bank robberies in Richmond County
Arrests made, more expected in string of armed robberies

So what's your point? The thing you cant dispute is that the crime in Macon (and several other cities) is mostly confined to certain ghetto areas and certain night clubs and that a person can live in one of the better parts of town just fine. If you're not hanging out in the ghetto or at sleazy night spots, then you'll be just fine. Your biased posts are only doing a disservice, what's the point? Crime is only a problem to you, when it happens in Macon.

BTW, this isnt a knock on those cities, just showing that all of GA 2nd Tier cities have some problems within our high crime areas, but as I said you can live a completely safe in other parts of town.

Last edited by King_X; 01-20-2011 at 10:55 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 AM

1,505 posts, read 2,294,225 times
King_9.5,

I do not live near Columbus, Savannah or Augusta. I do not hear the local news from these other cities day after day.
Once again, like many times before, you are using addition by subtraction as an argument. You are not showing how desirable Macon is ( the original post), you are bringing the other cities down to the level of Macon. I completely understand why you do this, as does anyone who can see the forest through the trees. Using your argument tactics and applying it to the original thread I will say this ... Macon is the most centrally located crime pit the state has to offer. That would look real good on the chamber of commerce brochures, huh?

The other cities that you mentioned have been 'nightlife' destinations of mine. Columbus, on Broadway (micro brewery, Irish pub, cigar bar, dance clubs aplenty) enough to see and do in one location to make it worth the trip. Augusta certainly has a centrally located night spot area downtown, plenty to do and see. Savannah is a given, right up there with Charleston and not too far behind Ybor City in Tampa, one of my favorite nightlife destinations. My point is, as I got older and moved to the country I choose what cities I 'club' in wisely. Once we even went to Macon. The place cannot even compare to the others. Not even close. So, Macon has a comparable crime problem but no centrally located club scene to make it worth the risk.
That is subtraction by addition.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
King_9.5,

Macon has a comparable crime problem but no centrally located club scene to make it worth the risk.

BulldawgFan, downtown Macon has a host of clubs and bars. Envy, Powerstation, Asylum, random bars, etc.. There's quite a few places right
by Envy actually.

I won't act like Macon's nightlife compares to Savannah or is even with Augusta's (though I wouldnt consider Augusta's Nightlife as anything to get THAT much more excited about than Macon's but it is better)

This "centrally located club scene" you speak of in Columbus is just as close to a bad area as the clubs I just mentioned in Macon, and it's not like the amount of spots to go to are any greater. (I'm talking about in recent years, like '05-'10...I dont know how they compared when you were "on the scene" because you make it seem like it was some time ago)

I don't know how you can talk about 2 similar scenes in 2 comparable areas as far as crime, but Macon's "not worth the risk"

Old 01-23-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post

This "centrally located club scene" you speak of in Columbus is just as close to a bad area as the clubs I just mentioned in Macon, and it's not like the amount of spots to go to are any greater. (I'm talking about in recent years, like '05-'10...I dont know how they compared when you were "on the scene" because you make it seem like it was some time ago)

Once again, addition by subtraction ... look how bad other places are, see, Macon is no worse. You are not making Macon 'seem' better, you are comparing Macon the the worst of other areas. I guess you will never get that.
But seriously, does Macon have a micro brewery right next to an Irish pub which happens to be on the same street as several other bars (Columbus)? Bars that often have one and two man acoustic acts which play to a crowd of folks who sit outside on patio chairs and have beer and pizza delivered to them? Not to mention the three or four dance clubs right there. All these establishments are within three or four hundred feet of each other? In a newly renovated downtown area? If so, then yes, I missed something while in Macon. I am going to have to ask my coworker, who is a life long resident of Macon, why he has kept that area a secret from me while trying to coax me to go clubbing with him in the few and far between clubs in north Macon. I will put him on the spot and get back to ya ....

Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 AM

514 posts, read 602,984 times
We could argue personal preferences all day, but what I will chime in with is this: Last night, I went to a private party in downtown Macon and I had to search over about 10 city blocks to find parking as all spots from Mulberry to Poplar and MLK to New street were full. This is unusual on Saturday nights as it can be busy, but the parking last night was similar to a First Friday or Cherry Blossom event. There are apparently a lot of people like me who find downtown to meet their entertainment needs. The Grand Opera House had an event, the Cox had music flowing into the street and in my drive all over to find parking, the Cherry Street restaurants were very busy. It was only 8pm so the true bars werent going yet, but bar/restaurants such as Dolce Vita and The Rookery were very busy.

If downtown were so boring and crime-ridden, this would not have been the case, the downtown rental occupancy rate would not be over 95% all of the time, and people like the host of the private party last night would have chosen a different venue.

Does Macon as a whole have a crime problem, yes. But, I have lived in or near downtown for 5 years now and have never been a victim of a violent crime or even a petty property crime. Not once. I have been going out with friends downtown for 7 years now and have nearly always found a good time at one of the local venues.

I have pretty much grown out of my clubbing years so I really can't speak for that, but dining,art, music, etc events are thriving downtown. Personally, I think downtown Macon could use more clubs as I think there is a market, but I see it happening in time. Clubs generally cater to the under 30 set and Columbus with Fort Benning is probably a better market for a club due to demographics. Augusta is bigger than Macon and farther from Atlanta (I know a lot of Macon folks that go to Atlanta regularly since it is just 75 minutes away, if Atlanta were twice as far they would probably stay in Macon) and Savannah is in a whole different world with their tourism and all.

If downtown doesn't interest you, fine, spend your time and money elsewhere, but I have seen downtown grow and improve over the past 7 years and a lot of other people agree that it IS an entertainment destination. The number of folks out on a random and very cold January Saturday night speaks loudly that there is indeed a large number of people who go downtown for entertainment.

If you know of a business model that is lacking in Macon, then buy a building downtown, take advantage of the tax incentives and get going. It is growing and you would most likely be successful. In my opinion of course!

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 01-23-2011 at 07:42 AM..

Old 01-23-2011, 01:28 PM

midgeorgiaman,

Cool. Is that anywhere near the Churches Chicken?
Manís chicken dinner stolen at gunpoint in Macon - Crime & Courts - Macon.com

or near Houston Ave.?
Houston Avenue apartment damaged by gunfire - Crime & Courts - Macon.com

or anywhere near Riverside?
Massage parlor raid details released - Crime & Courts - Macon.com

or near Pio Nono?
Two rob Latin food mart - Crime & Courts - Macon.com

Just wondering. You might have missed the crime that evening, but it is happening all around you.
A chicken dinner ... a friggin chicken dinner ... are you serious? Isn't anything safe in Macon?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:06 PM

514 posts, read 602,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
midgeorgiaman,

Cool. Is that anywhere near the Churches Chicken?
Man’s chicken dinner stolen at gunpoint in Macon - Crime & Courts - Macon.com

or near Houston Ave.?
Houston Avenue apartment damaged by gunfire - Crime & Courts - Macon.com

or anywhere near Riverside?
Massage parlor raid details released - Crime & Courts - Macon.com

or near Pio Nono?
Two rob Latin food mart - Crime & Courts - Macon.com

Just wondering. You might have missed the crime that evening, but it is happening all around you.
A chicken dinner ... a friggin chicken dinner ... are you serious? Isn't anything safe in Macon?
The answer is NO. Those areas are not near downtown. These areas are not near me. Do you even live near Macon?

I never said there was no crime in Macon, my point is that the downtown area is for the most part a safe place.

If you hate Macon, fine. I love living here. I believe that we are heading in the right direction across the downtown and historic areas. Do we need to address crime in south Macon? Absolutely, but to throw out an entire city over crimes in an area that has been undermined by relentless entitlement programs is foolish. By that definition NYC, DC, LA, Atlanta, Miami, etc should all be abandoned, but somehow millions of people seem to think that the positives of those cities outweigh the negatives. I have encountered crime in Macon, but it was in South Macon and I took care of that problem by avoiding that area from now on and working with local organizations, politicians, and schools to try to improve them. I actually taught one of those boneheads who robbed the man for the chicken. Want to guess where he lived? Houston Ave and the Peach Orchard. Not areas that most people of good character would choose to frequent if given a choice.

I welcome true discussion, but slamming my opinion with news headlines from the 'hood does nothing to counter anything. If you don't believe me, fine. I wasn't speaking to you specifically anyhow. I was sharing the positive experience I had yesterday to anyone who cared to read it and to show that many people agree with me on this. Of course you are entitled to your own opinion. Have a great day.

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 01-23-2011 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Do you even live near Macon?
Are you kidding me? The crime is crazy there, how can you be so oblivious to it?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:10 PM

Bulldawgfan, I don't get the problem you have with what's being said. I could understand if someone was denying Macon's crime problem, but no one here is doing that.

There are 2 sides to a story. Macon, being the largest city in this area of the state, has some of the LEAST and MOST desirable neighborhoods in Middle Georgia.

It's all about where you live within the city. Notice that nearly all of these crimes are in the same area of town.

Here's just two random locations. 1 is in a desirable part of Macon and one is in the ghetto. Let's take Chick-Fil-A in North Macon on Tom Hill and let's take "Club Sinsation South" where those stabbings were in South Macon. They are over 9 miles apart. You can be in Macon, avoid the wrong areas, and live a good length away from them as well.

Whatever is going down on some back alley street off of Houston Ave, isnt making people several miles away up I-75 on Bass Rd. lose sleep.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Bulldawgfan, I don't get the problem you have with what's being said.
King_9.5,

I have no problems with what is being said. The question was about the 'desirability' of Macon. A search of crime statistics show Macon as one of the most crime ridden cities in the state. The bottom of the barrel in like-sized cities. Just like you can find innocent people in prison, I am quite sure you can find decent places in Macon .... but is the place, as a whole, desirable?

Busy night, or is this just typical of Macon ???
Three muggings reported in Bibb County Saturday night - Crime & Courts - Macon.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon