Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 PM

726 posts, read 2,808,526 times

Advertisements

Georgians For Passenger Rail

Georgians for Passenger Rail will be trying to fit commuter train projects into plans for a regional transportation sales tax, the group's chief executive officer said.

Passenger rail supporters prepare for new push - State news - Macon.com (http://www.macon.com/2010/12/27/1390418/passenger-rail-supporters-prepare.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,233,952 times
This is one area that Georgia as a state has completely dropped the ball. Look to North Carolina, they have been investing and preparing for high speed rail for decades. When it is actually extended south of DC, it will get to them and they will be ready. Georgia can't seem to figure out how to run and extend the MARTA train system. If the urbanites of Atlanta can't do it, I honestly don't see how they are going to sell this to areas outside of Atlanta.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would work if it were whole-heartedly embraced, but I just don't see the widespread support out there.

I suppose a lot has to do with the state of the economy by late 2012 and the feeling of the populace and another presidential and congressional election. We shall see!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:02 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,296,453 times
I would love to see this happen as well, but I just don't see it being supported by the current leadership.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:15 PM

24 posts, read 57,463 times
Yea I wish they would too. Would open up jobs to people who otherwise wouldn't have them.
Would also make this area a more viable place for people to buy homes.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:17 PM

375 posts, read 1,376,539 times
We used to have great rail system in GA about 75-100 years ago. The interstate system put the kibosh on it and it's never recovered. Try going from Atlanta to Tampa - without going to NC and DC first

Old 12-31-2010, 10:37 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,864,885 times
Macon to Atlanta makes sense as does Atlanta to Chattanooga.

More people are focusing now on passenger rail and when gas goes up to

$5/gal they will be screaming for rail. I am wondering why Amtrak does not

realize more people want rail. They added a new train in VA to DC with the

state and it went well beyond their expectations. Add more trains and routes

Amtrak and work with the states. The railroads are only interested in what

makes $$ but if the states get involved the railroads will follow.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,296,453 times
It's not up to Amtrak...it's up to the local politicians to allow passenger rail in these towns.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 PM

726 posts, read 2,808,526 times
Updated on the project
Monroe County supports high-speed rail line - Local & State - Macon.com

Midstate governments are giving support to move forward with a plan for high-speed rail between Atlanta and Macon.

Commissioners voted unanimously to give a letter of support for the project, making Monroe County the final affected government to give support to the project.

Bill Ihringer, CEO of RCT Engineering & Construction Corp., met with Monroe County commissioners this week to discuss the possibility of a high-speed rail line running through -- and stopping in -- the county, while traveling between Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport and Middle Georgia Regional Airport.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 PM

375 posts, read 1,376,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's not up to Amtrak...it's up to the local politicians to allow passenger rail in these towns.
Stupid pols in Fla decided the voters didn't know they were voting for hi-speed rail from Tampa to Orlando, so they changed the law to ignore the people.

Politicians only pay attention when there's $$$ in their back pocket or campaign funds. They could care less about what the people want.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:22 AM

7,574 posts, read 10,687,817 times
To the posters only talking about HSR the article is referring to establishing commuter and intrastate (slow) service between Macon and Atlanta. Still a great airport connection for ya'll in Macon!

However, I just thought I'd pass this on in the Macon forums. I've already mentioned it on some of the Atlanta forums. I saw a posted application to the federal government for $400m to upgrade the 2nd Norfolk-Southern right of way to be upgraded from 30 mph max freight track to 79mph max track. Currently the track passed through Griffin on the way to Atlanta and is used primarily for local deliveries and a few trains a day. (There is a fast moving mainline to the east used for more freight through-trains)

The track and crossing upgrades will allow extra space for passenger trains and allow them to move quickly. It will probably also increase the capacity for mainline freight traffic in the region as well.

However, the application is requesting the federal government pay for 100% of the funds. My guess is they won't get the money unless they put down at least 25-50% in a more competitive application. This is why it is important the regions in the state consider helping to start funding the rail start up.

However, one thing is for sure. If Atlanta and the state of Georgia ever has a built out passenger rail system these are the tracks that will be the busiest as every large central and south Georgia city en route to Atlanta will connect through Macon, except for Augusta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon