U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 AM

17 posts, read 30,090 times

Advertisements

Are Albany and Macon more dangerous and blighted than Atlanta? I hear about how bad those cities are all the time, but I thought Atlanta was the most crime infested city in Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 AM

177 posts, read 375,556 times
Wow! I take it that you don't care too much for the cities in Georgia, based on the way you phrased your post. Don't be too surprised if your question incites a heated, unhealthy debate. I will take a shot at answering your question, anyway.

As for blighted, I'd have to say yes, that is true on both accounts. The reason is because the city of Atlanta has come a long way in the past couple of decades to improve their infrastructure and to remove a lot of the "blighted" areas that once existed. This does not mean, however, that I think both Albany and Macon are completely blighted places. Like many mid-sized cities across America, they both have their good and bad parts. I also think both have made some improvements, but they do have a ways to go and are working on their issues.

I don't think the crime rate is any worse in Albany or Macon than in Atlanta overall, per capita. I know Atlanta's crime rates have improved in recent years, but I haven't seen the latest crime statistics on any of them in a while. However, your perception of "crime infested" may be different than someone else's perception. It depends on many factors, such as what kind of community you came from (urban, suburban, rural) and your life experiences. There are people on this Macon forum who definitely feel that Macon is crime infested, and there are those that do not. If a few more people respond, I'd guess that you will receive a variety of answers. I know people who think Macon is great and wouldn't consider living anywhere else for a myriad of reasons, and I also know people who think it is a dump and prefer to live in Warner Robins or Byron. Again ..... different perspectives.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:05 PM

449 posts, read 819,277 times
One key difference is that Atlanta has had so many central city areas gentrify over the last 20 years. All of that lends itself to nothing in Atlanta ever staying the same for a long period of time. In fact, I always tease my Central and South GA relatives about using landmarks for directions in traveling around Atlanta. Central city Macon and Albany on the other hand, have lost population, so not only are you not going to have as much new construction or renovations, but you are also going to also have some abandonment. Were it not for the recession, even the Southside Atlanta neighborhoods would be further along in their revitalization. There is so much more demand for property in Atlanta than Macon or Albany, so considering the new construction and renovations, of course Atlanta is going to have a fresher look.

In terms of crime, all three cities have very safe areas, all three have very dangerous areas to be aware of. A lot of it is the perception of crime. Here in Metro Atlanta, like most other large cities, you expect a certain amount of crime and take the mentality that it comes with the territory, the cost of doing business in a major city. Being that I have relatives both in Macon and Albany, some of them still have mindset that both cities are supposed to be like they were in the 60's and the 70's when both cities, with the exception of a couple of streets, were relatively safe places, and they could leave their doors unlocked.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 AM

92 posts, read 194,023 times
No I go to both of those cities very often. Macon is a friendly community city
and very easy to get around and has good effort in their growing process.
Albany on the other hand is smaller and more out in the country but it is the big city in the south because of its tourism. They only have one mini expressway but it helps during the rush our. there are also many rumors on them getting an exstention from I 185 to their main expressway. all cities can be dangerous but it depends on how you live in the city or where you live in the city. When you speak of Atlanta you are mainly speaking of the greediest city in Georgia they have every thing. no other city in Georgia has what they have.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:47 PM

449 posts, read 819,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapwizard View Post
No I go to both of those cities very often. Macon is a friendly community city
and very easy to get around and has good effort in their growing process.
Albany on the other hand is smaller and more out in the country but it is the big city in the south because of its tourism. They only have one mini expressway but it helps during the rush our. there are also many rumors on them getting an exstention from I 185 to their main expressway. all cities can be dangerous but it depends on how you live in the city or where you live in the city. When you speak of Atlanta you are mainly speaking of the greediest city in Georgia they have every thing. no other city in Georgia has what they have.
You keep referring to Atlanta being greedy, but I beg to differ. Again, as I mentioned previously, over 50% of GA's population resides here in the Atlanta Metro, so quite naturally, we're going to get the majority of resources. Also, no slight on the other GA metro areas, but many retailers and businesses see Metro Atlanta as a more attractive place to do business and to establish a presence because of the demographics. Comparing Macon to Atlanta, which is the nation's eighth largest metro area isn't even fair to Macon.

Another factor, Metro Atlanta gets one of the least returns for each dollar of taxes paid of any area of the state. Actually, all of Georgia's metro areas are getting screwed at the expense of the more rural areas. In other words, Metro Atlanta tax dollars, and to a lesser extent, Metro Macon tax dollars help subsidize a lot of projects around the state that we have no direct benefit from. That's attributed to the fact that tax revenues tend to come from the most populated areas.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
You keep referring to Atlanta being greedy, but I beg to differ. Again, as I mentioned previously, over 50% of GA's population resides here in the Atlanta Metro, so quite naturally, we're going to get the majority of resources. Also, no slight on the other GA metro areas, but many retailers and businesses see Metro Atlanta as a more attractive place to do business and to establish a presence because of the demographics. Comparing Macon to Atlanta, which is the nation's eighth largest metro area isn't even fair to Macon.

Another factor, Metro Atlanta gets one of the least returns for each dollar of taxes paid of any area of the state. Actually, all of Georgia's metro areas are getting screwed at the expense of the more rural areas. In other words, Metro Atlanta tax dollars, and to a lesser extent, Metro Macon tax dollars help subsidize a lot of projects around the state that we have no direct benefit from. That's attributed to the fact that tax revenues tend to come from the most populated areas.
I don't understand how Newnan And Riverdale are the fastest growing cities in Georgia if this is the case

Old 04-14-2011, 06:36 PM

177 posts, read 375,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapwizard View Post
I don't understand how Newnan And Riverdale are the fastest growing cities in Georgia if this is the case
Huh?

Newnan, probably so, but Riverdale????

Old 04-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geog-fanatic View Post
Huh?

Newnan, probably so, but Riverdale????
Yea I know its hard to believe.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:03 AM

6,562 posts, read 7,673,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
I need to look it up again sometime, but a GSU study found that Atlanta's core 10 counties pay into the state everything they get back from the state.

However, to go further about 12-13% of the state's total revenue comes from that region and is spent outside of that region.

The Atlanta region is a donor region.

We can be called greedy all day long, but it isn't going to make it anymore true.

And like GRS86 said.... you need to remember we have half the state's population in a much smaller area than the rest of the state. We have to have more infrastructure in that small area to handle the population.... but the amount of infrastructure per capita of an urban area is far more efficient than that of a rural area.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:24 PM

115 posts, read 207,075 times
I don't know why but sometimes feel as though Georgia should have followed South Carolina's example of small cities with big metros. Their system seems to work for them very well. I think georgia trys hard to be like Ohio or any other northern state. Georgia kinda messed up when they divided the state into so many counties, although I do get the gist of that idea. But it won't matter anyway, because by 2050 most of the rural counties in G.a. will either have their own metro areas or they will merge into larger G.A. cities like Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah, Columbus and Macon. By the way 2050 is the year the Census Bureau claims over 70% of the world will be urbanized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or