Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times

Advertisements

Why arent the micropolitan areas of Dublin and Milledgeville (around 100,000 combined) included in Macon's CSA? It cant be that they are too far away, because there are other cities in this state with places equally as far apart yet counted in their CSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 02:56 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,479 times
I don't think there are enough people who live in Milledgeville or Dublin that commute to the Macon MSA for work on a daily basis to qualify. Those two cities themselves serve as small retail and job hubs in their own right for their respective surrounding areas.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
I don't think there are enough people who live in Milledgeville or Dublin that commute to the Macon MSA for work on a daily basis to qualify. Those two cities themselves serve as small retail and job hubs in their own right for their respective surrounding areas.
I guess I'm just not sure what the criteria is to be considered in someone's MSA or CSA. So, it just takes into account the amount of people who commute to a place to work?

I asked because I just read that Tuskegee's micropolitan area is a part of Columbus' CSA, though it's 45 miles from Columbus and it's actually closer to Montgomery. So the majority of people in Tuskegee work in Columbus???

I would guess when these people need bigger city amenities, Montgomery would be the first and closer choice, yet it's in Columbus' CSA. Macon is equally as close to Dublin, even closer to Milledgeville, and we are their ONLY option available for a nearby decent sized metro, so they shop and enjoy the nightlife here regularly yet they arent in our CSA???

Sorry, I just didnt understand that.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:03 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I guess I'm just not sure what the criteria is to be considered in someone's MSA or CSA. So, it just takes into account the amount of people who commute to a place to work?

I asked because I just read that Tuskegee's micropolitan area is a part of Columbus' CSA, though it's 45 miles from Columbus and it's actually closer to Montgomery. So the majority of people in Tuskegee work in Columbus???

I would guess when these people need bigger city amenities, Montgomery would be the first and closer choice, yet it's in Columbus' CSA. Macon is equally as close to Dublin, even closer to Milledgeville, and we are their ONLY option available for a nearby decent sized metro, so they shop and enjoy the nightlife here regularly yet they arent in our CSA???

My guess is that Tuskegee is in the Columbus CSA because Auburn/Opelika and Columbus are so close together. Most people in Tuskegee probably work in the A/O area which is part of the Columbus CSA. I imagine a fair amount commute over to the Columbus area as well.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
My guess is that Tuskegee is in the Columbus CSA because Auburn/Opelika and Columbus are so close together. Most people in Tuskegee probably work in the A/O area which is part of the Columbus CSA. I imagine a fair amount commute over to the Columbus area as well.
ok well that would explain it

Old 06-21-2011, 05:38 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post

Being an alum of Tuskegee, having spent time, and having an understanding of the area, at first I didn't understand Tuskegee being in the Columbus, GA CSA. It's 10 miles closer to Montgomery than it is to Columbus, but the reason why it is included in the Columbus CSA and not the Montgomery MSA is that the Auburn - Opelika MSA is combined with the Columbus MSA to form the Columbus - Auburn - Opelika CSA. Since there is no retail, or jobs in Tuskegee, other than the university itself, there are a ton of people who commute back and forth between Tuskegee and Auburn - Opelika, especially people who work at the university. Most people in Tuskegee do their retail shopping and dining in Auburn - Opelika. A lot of Tuskegee professors and students also live in the Auburn - Opelika area. Even though there are a few people that do commute from the immediate Columbus - Phenix City area to Tuskegee on a daily basis, Tuskegee's inclusion into the Columbus - Auburn - Opelika CSA is mostly on the strength of Tuskegee's proximity and relation to Auburn - Opelika than its association with the immediate Columbus - Phenix City area.

To be fair, there are also a decent number of people who live in the Montgomery MSA that commute to Tuskegee. It's only a 25-30 minute drive from the far eastern Montgomery suburbs where a lot of the newer development in Montgomery is, to Tuskegee, but the number of people commuting back and forth between the Tuskegee / A-O area still outstrips the number commuting back and forth between Tuskegee and Montgomery. Another thing that's odd about this paradox is that Tuskegee is in the Montgomery TV market, so there are no Columbus TV stations available on Charter in Tuskegee, and only one Columbus TV station available on the university system, despite being only 45 miles from Columbus.

This isn't the only case like this. The La Grange, West Point, Valley micropolitan area is a part of the Atlanta CSA despite being only 20 miles from the Columbus - Auburn - Opelika CSA.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:17 PM

34 posts, read 92,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Being an alum of Tuskegee, having spent time, and having an understanding of the area, at first I didn't understand Tuskegee being in the Columbus, GA CSA. It's 10 miles closer to Montgomery than it is to Columbus, but the reason why it is included in the Columbus CSA and not the Montgomery MSA is that the Auburn - Opelika MSA is combined with the Columbus MSA to form the Columbus - Auburn - Opelika CSA. Since there is no retail, or jobs in Tuskegee, other than the university itself, there are a ton of people who commute back and forth between Tuskegee and Auburn - Opelika, especially people who work at the university. Most people in Tuskegee do their retail shopping and dining in Auburn - Opelika. A lot of Tuskegee professors and students also live in the Auburn - Opelika area. Even though there are a few people that do commute from the immediate Columbus - Phenix City area to Tuskegee on a daily basis, Tuskegee's inclusion into the Columbus - Auburn - Opelika CSA is mostly on the strength of Tuskegee's proximity and relation to Auburn - Opelika than its association with the immediate Columbus - Phenix City area.

To be fair, there are also a decent number of people who live in the Montgomery MSA that commute to Tuskegee. It's only a 25-30 minute drive from the far eastern Montgomery suburbs where a lot of the newer development in Montgomery is, to Tuskegee, but the number of people commuting back and forth between the Tuskegee / A-O area still outstrips the number commuting back and forth between Tuskegee and Montgomery. Another thing that's odd about this paradox is that Tuskegee is in the Montgomery TV market, so there are no Columbus TV stations available on Charter in Tuskegee, and only one Columbus TV station available on the university system, despite being only 45 miles from Columbus.

This isn't the only case like this. The La Grange, West Point, Valley micropolitan area is a part of the Atlanta CSA despite being only 20 miles from the Columbus - Auburn - Opelika CSA.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much!
Great Point! and @King X I am raising the same question about the Enterprise-Ozark Micro Are not being included in the Dothan Metro Area??

Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Also, @King-X, both Dublin and Milledgeville pretty much have their own retail "space" and folks don't necessarily have to come to Macon for dining and shopping.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
The above info is correct: Tuskegee (Macon County) has closer ties to Auburn-Opelika than Montgomery, and Auburn-Opelika are in Lee County, which stretches all the way to the state line and is just across the river from downtown Columbus. Odder still, Chambers County, Ala., is just 20 miles from Auburn-Opelika, and within the Columbus media market, but because a majority of its residents work in West Point or LaGrange (Troup County) it is considered part of the Atlanta CSA. And Meriwhether County is less than 40 miles north of downtown Columbus bugt is part of the Atlanta MSA (not CSA but MSA) because a majority of its workforce travels to Fayette or Coweta counties for jobs. Make sense yet?

Another oddity is that the Savannah CSA includes just 4 counties in Georgia, even though nearly 200,000 people live just north of the Savannah River in Beaufort and Jasper counties, South Carolina. In fact, not only are Beaufort and Hilton Head Island considered part of the Savannah retail trade area and media market, the airport is called Savannah-Hilton Head International for marketing reasons. HHI and Tybee Island are 10 miles apart. Yet, the two are considered separate MSAs. Go figure.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The above info is correct: Tuskegee (Macon County) has closer ties to Auburn-Opelika than Montgomery, and Auburn-Opelika are in Lee County, which stretches all the way to the state line and is just across the river from downtown Columbus. Odder still, Chambers County, Ala., is just 20 miles from Auburn-Opelika, and within the Columbus media market, but because a majority of its residents work in West Point or LaGrange (Troup County) it is considered part of the Atlanta CSA. And Meriwhether County is less than 40 miles north of downtown Columbus bugt is part of the Atlanta MSA (not CSA but MSA) because a majority of its workforce travels to Fayette or Coweta counties for jobs. Make sense yet?

Another oddity is that the Savannah CSA includes just 4 counties in Georgia, even though nearly 200,000 people live just north of the Savannah River in Beaufort and Jasper counties, South Carolina. In fact, not only are Beaufort and Hilton Head Island considered part of the Savannah retail trade area and media market, the airport is called Savannah-Hilton Head International for marketing reasons. HHI and Tybee Island are 10 miles apart. Yet, the two are considered separate MSAs. Go figure.
I looked up a few places in Chambers County and it appears towns like Valley and Lanett are actually a few miles closer to Columbus than Auburn and Opelika, yet they arent even in Columbus MSA or CSA???

The Savannah situation is crazy.

Is there no website or listing of population figures for just how many people live within X amount of miles radius from a city's center???

MSA and CSA can be misleading about how many people actually live in an area.

Lanett, Alabama is 70-80 miles from Atlanta, 29-35 miles from Columbus, but listed in the "Atlanta Area"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon