Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 8,254 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I currently live down in Warner Robins (I'm stationed at Robins AFB) and considering a move up to Macon next summer. My other half got a job downtown with a local firm and we've considered moving up there so he has a shorter commute, since mine will be about half an hour no matter where we live in the area. We love the area and the historical homes, and the downtown has more of the small town feel we both grew up in and are used to, whereas WR is just a big boring commercial sprawl.

What I'm curious about is we've heard from several people that the city of Macon is offering a financial incentive to young professionals our age (around 25) to come and live near downtown. We're considering it either way, but haven't been able to find out any actual information on this even though several locals have mentioned it.

Appreciate the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 04:02 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
The incentives are in the form of loan guidance and assistance in purchasing a home in historic Bealls Hill or the College Hill Corridor I believe. I haven't read the details, but I am sure the good folks at Newtown Macon can help. One of their primary goals is to increase residents downtown.

Home
NewTown Macon -
Welcome to College Hill Macon

I hope this helps you in your endeaver. I used to work at the base and live in Warner Robins and while it is a wonderful family town, I don't have kids and thus schools weren't an issue for me. I love living near downtown Macon. It isn't Atlanta or Savannah, but it is by far the most lively area to be in within central GA.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 PM

7 posts, read 38,033 times
I'll give you a good deal on a house near the Allman brothers house. It so close you can sit in the backyard and enjoy the sounds when they have a concert .

Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 PM

5 posts, read 15,066 times
Don't move to Macon. Those people don't care about their quality of life and refuse to lay in the beds they make. All they do is create danger for fellow citizens, even the nice parts are turning bad (ex Tom Hill Blvd).

Old 01-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallieS View Post
Don't move to Macon. Those people don't care about their quality of life and refuse to lay in the beds they make. All they do is create danger for fellow citizens, even the nice parts are turning bad (ex Tom Hill Blvd).
Really? I didn't know that I don't care about my city and create danger. There are terrible parts of Macon, but there are great parts too. Don't use such a large brush when painting...

Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Kallie sounds like a young girl afraid to go out in the dark. I am not from here, been in Georgia about 20 years and moved to Macon two years ago after living in Perry for ten, and Eastman before that. It is not unsafe in Macon if you aren't in a gang, don't do drugs, or deal in weapons. Period. If you get to know the city, you'll find yourself driving through some neighborhoods that look tired and unkempt, yes, and those areas I avoid after dark. Frankly, as far as I can tell, most of the crime is black-on-black, gang-related, or drug-related. You just have to be smart, be aware of your location and other folks around you, etc. No city is totally safe. There is no such thing as Pleasantville.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:11 PM

33 posts, read 66,904 times
Kallie is absolutely right. The others work for the Macon City of Commerce. Honestly - you're better off living in Warner Robins.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:00 AM

Nope, don't work for the city of Macon, but live in a wonderful historic neighborhood near downtown and love the events, cultural activities, Riverwalk, old growth trees and feeling of Macon. If you want to write off the whole city of Macon over the rundown parts that i never go to, then fine, enjoy Warner Robins and eating at Cheddars, OCharleys, Ruby Tuesday, or one of the many fried food buffets and the riveting culture known as the Warner Robins Christmas Parade.

It is all about what you prefer. If I had kids and valued good schools, I would probably live in Warner Robins, but for adult activities, Warner Robins is a typical suburb. Without 2.2 kids and a minivan, there just isn't much to do.

I find it amazing how many people who say they are so happy elsewhere somehow pencil in hours a day to dog other towns. Every place has somethings great about it and things that are not so great. Depending upon how you rate different activities on your personal priority list, different towns become good or bad fits for you.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 PM

4 posts, read 8,254 times
We're definitely moving up there sometime late this summer, just haven't quite decided if we're buying or renting. We've spent quite a bit of time in downtown and really enjoy it, I think it just gets an undeserved bad rep. Looking forward to the move and living somewhere that isn't suburban cookie cutter/strip mall hell. Even if there are some shady parts to Macon, I'm a country girl, so I'm pretty damn good with my .38

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the help and looking forward to the move

Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 PM

33 posts, read 66,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Nope, don't work for the city of Macon, but live in a wonderful historic neighborhood near downtown and love the events, cultural activities, Riverwalk, old growth trees and feeling of Macon. If you want to write off the whole city of Macon over the rundown parts that i never go to, then fine, enjoy Warner Robins and eating at Cheddars, OCharleys, Ruby Tuesday, or one of the many fried food buffets and the riveting culture known as the Warner Robins Christmas Parade.

It is all about what you prefer. If I had kids and valued good schools, I would probably live in Warner Robins, but for adult activities, Warner Robins is a typical suburb. Without 2.2 kids and a minivan, there just isn't much to do.

I find it amazing how many people who say they are so happy elsewhere somehow pencil in hours a day to dog other towns. Every place has somethings great about it and things that are not so great. Depending upon how you rate different activities on your personal priority list, different towns become good or bad fits for you.

I guess it's a good place to sleep when you're not afraid of catching gang-related bullets in your head. Yeah - it's got that going for it. As young as you're trying to make yourself sound, you should really get out and explore some, man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon