Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 9,479 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have a son with severe autism, and I currently live in Alabama and there are few services. Georgia is a neighboring state that has some programs for all special needs children that are good. Atlanta and its close suburbs definitely have a lot of services, but my husband and I do not want to live in downtown Atlanta, haven't found a job opportunity in a close suburb, and even a commute on the Marta could cause stress for our family dealing with our son's autism for emergencies, etc. We need to stay close to each other and services.
My husband has a potential job opportunity in Macon Georgia, but it looks like there are fewer services there. Does anyone on here have any idea about the schools in Macon or Warner Robins for a child who has autism? I have tried other list-serves and just haven't had much luck yet. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 01:40 PM

744 posts, read 2,482,344 times
Have you thought about posting this question on a site like Autism Speaks www.autismspeaks.org or www.autism-pdd.net ? Both of these boards have people on them from all over the country including Georgia who might be able to help you in your search.
I am in Fayette County which is on the Southwest Side of Atlanta and the services that my son recieves are excellent. We have a lot of families move here from surrounding areas who have special needs children because the services were they were were not that great for thier children.None that I have recently met are from the area that your inquiring about .

Old 12-21-2007, 07:11 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,037 times
Warner Robins would be a great place to live for raising you child, but im sure alot of the health services your child may need is offered in Macon at the Medical Center of Central Georgia, which is about a 20 minute drive from Warner Robins. If you could ellaborate more on the job offer your husband has I could be of better assistance in finding an apartment or something like that.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:11 PM

10 posts, read 48,160 times
I am a teacher in NYC and I am looking for a place to relocate in Ga. I too have a special needs child. My priority is to find a good school for my son. I know I can find a job just about anywhere. I am looking to teach in an area will I will get paid well and an area where the school system will serve my sons needs.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:25 PM

4 posts, read 21,521 times
Default Hope this helps

I also taught in NY prior to relocating almost 10 years ago. Yes you can get a teaching position and as far as services like anything else the more you know the more you get. Services are not unfortunately ever served on a platter but they are there as long as you know what is expected you can have a better chance pushing the right buttons to see that his needs are met. No system is great but as an educator it comes wit the position and our rewards are in God's hands. How old is your child if he isn't 36months yet Baby's can't Wait is a source for service that you could contact for further direction. God's Blessings

Old 01-08-2010, 11:54 AM

37 posts, read 175,608 times
We are moving to Macon in June, and I am discovering this information as well. How old is your son? Mine had PDD-NOS, so he's a little higher functioning (somewhere between moderate and mild), but I was already in touch with the public school's admin about preschool (When we move, he'll be 3).
There are state services provided through the school district once they reach 3 yo. The state has the Babies Can't Wait program for kids younger than 3. I'll help in any way that I can, but I am just getting started as well.

Feel free to private message me.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 6,656 times
there are two schools in the Macon area that you may want to look into and One is Northwoods academy and Elam Alexander II they both deal with kids with special needs. I too have a son that may have autism. And a great doctor to visit for his medical need for autism is Dr. Elizebeth Young at the the childrens health center also in Macon,GA.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 25,742 times
Default Autism Local Support Group

Central Georgia Autism

Parents using the circumstances we have faced on our path of having a child on the Autism Spectrum to support and care for families as they embark on the journey.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 25,742 times
Central Georgia Autism

Parents using the circumstances we have faced on our path of having a child on the Autism Spectrum to support and care for families as they embark on the journey.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,649 times
Thumbs down A Severe Shortage of Autism Services

I have a teenage daughter with autism. They had one summer camp here in Macon Georgia for children with autism. It was cut out of the budget about three years ago without a replacement. I have been advocating for years for services such as childcare, medical leave for parents with autism but I have not had any luck. There is a school in Macon for children with behavorial problems with autism but the school ends at 2:00 pm. When the children get out for breaks, child care becomes a problem unless you can hire someone. Parents of these kids need to go to Atlanta to ask for more funds for these children. The support system in Macon for families of children with autism is very poor. I am in the process of trying to learn to write grants and start an organization to help parents and I am trying to hear the concerns and problems people are facing with children with autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: