Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM

49 posts, read 82,434 times

Advertisements

What's it like to live in Jones County? Schools, neighborhoods, community activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfanatiq View Post
What's it like to live in Jones County? Schools, neighborhoods, community activities?
Jones County is typical suburban/rural America. It is a county with rural roots that is slowly becoming more suburban due to its proximity to Macon, but as a whole the county is still mostly rural. The schools are good for the area. There are plenty of choices in neighborhoods, from typical suburban areas with 1/4 acre lots to more spread out neighborhoods to country living on many acres in the woods. JC is a very community oriented town with only one high school so high school sports are big, plenty of recreation leagues, etc and just a short drive to Macon if you need something a little more specific like a specific martial arts class, etc for the kids.

Most people that I know that live in Jones are very happy with their choice especially those who want a little more space and less traffic than you find in a more suburban community such as Houston County. The trade-off is that you have to come to Macon for more of your shopping than those who choose Houston County. Jones County has the city of Gray there which has most everything you need, but if you want more choices than one hardware store, two grocery stores, etc you will be driving a few more miles on occassion.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 PM

49 posts, read 82,434 times
Cool. I was checking out Hidden Lakes across from Jones County High. What about Monroe County? It mirrors Jones, doesn't it?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Monroe County benefits from being bisected by both I-75 and I-475. It provides much quicker access to Macon, as well as the South Atlanta suburbs, and is seeing rapid growth because of that. Jones County, while a bit more rural, is more "upscale" overall, is more "suburban" in feel and has the better schools. Both are equally convenient to the fast-growing North Macon area, which has become the new go-to area for decent restaurants, fine shopping and other amenities. The Shoppes at River Chase is where all of Macon's new retail activity is focused, and it's equally convenient to both places.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfanatiq View Post
Cool. I was checking out Hidden Lakes across from Jones County High. What about Monroe County? It mirrors Jones, doesn't it?
Pretty much what Newsboy said. If you want better proximity to Atlanta then Monroe may help with that. The only point I may disagree with is that Jones has better schools than Monroe...I would say they are fairly equal in that regard and both districts are good for the area.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
^^^ MID GA MAN -- How does Mary Persons compare to Jones County High? I am curious; For the last two years, JCH has been zoned for the same GHSA district as Fayette County; that's pretty amazing! MPHS still seems rather rural and more racially polarized IMO. Thoughts?

Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^ MID GA MAN -- How does Mary Persons compare to Jones County High? I am curious; For the last two years, JCH has been zoned for the same GHSA district as Fayette County; that's pretty amazing! MPHS still seems rather rural and more racially polarized IMO. Thoughts?
Academically I would say they are similar, but you are right that JC is a larger school and in a different GHSA classification, but that is just based on the size of the student population. IMHO both schools are good choices for families new to the area.

JC and MP both have a strong rural element to them, but both Monroe and Jones were developing rapidly prior to the economic collapse. Jones may have more suburban areas at the moment, but Monroe is getting growth at both ends. Northern Monroe has seen some Atlanta sprawl in the past decade make it south to them.

As far as the racial polarization, I really haven't heard much about that regarding either school and teachers that I know in both districts havent mentioned it either.

If I were looking for a new community, I would pick the one that best fit my needs without really considering the differences in schools because I don't see those differences as very great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: