Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:05 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,719,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartlebie View Post
I'm just responding to those who keep attempting to insult me, label me, and castigate me for having a viewpoint which they don't agree with and doesn't jibe with their perception of Macon, GA.
You mean how you said earlier about people who live in Macon andthe people who like it?Talk about pot calling the kettle black....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 AM

24 posts, read 26,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You mean how you said earlier about people who live in Macon andthe people who like it?Talk about pot calling the kettle black....
I haven't singled out anyone here for personal attack from the beginning. I made a statement about elements of the Macon populace, and apparently, several here read themselves into one or more of those elements described and got indignant about it.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Uh, Macon definitely played an impotant role in the Southern Rock scene (Capricorn Records, e.g.) but it was by no means "born" there!

Anyway, it seems like the consensus is that Macon's a bad place, the only argument I'm getting is how bad.
How you figure that when only you and one other person has said its bad?Hardly a consensus.
People know Macon has troubles but has not reached rock bottom and it has untapped potential.
Thats far from meaning its a bad place.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I haven't singled out anyone here for personal attack from the beginning. I made a statement about elements of the Macon populace, and apparently, several here read themselves into one or more of those elements described and got indignant about it.
So who are those posters?I did not see one person identify with your comments.If there were several then it would seem it is YOU who is attaching such attributes to those posters.

Stop backtracking.Do we really need to go back and re post your statements?

Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 AM

24 posts, read 26,890 times
Quote:
So who are those posters?I did not see one person identify with your comments.If there were several then it would seem it is YOU who is attaching such attributes to those posters.

Stop backtracking.Do we really need to go back and re post your statements?
If it makes you happy, please do!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:52 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,023,544 times
Quote:
But its the MACON area.All of Macon area including Gray,Milledgeville,Warner Robins,Perry, is not bad.So why go off like there is no hope or no bright spots which there are.
Are you, by chance, related to King_9.5? Either we are talking about Macon or we are talking about other places.
Gray - crime index of 336.1 - 49 thefts reported during the last year recorded.
Milledgeville - 275.1 - 522 thefts
Warner Robins - 450.3 - 3050 thefts
Perry - 199.1 - 220 thefts
Macon - 570.3 - 4371 thefts (an astonishing 12 thefts per day average!)

Just exactly how am I "going off"? I have added no opinions whatsoever this week. I have posted only statistics, yet somehow you see that as going off?
It is not a matter of potential, as all cities have the potential to improve. Even Camden, N.J.. You can offer your opinions about what is pleasing to your eye (hill, river, whatever) but that does not automatically make everyone else feel warm and fuzzy. In my opinion there are no real hills in the Macon area. And the river does not get really usable for me until it joins the Oconee down by Lumber City. But that does not make your opinion any less valid. But I have not been talking opinions, you have. I made statements and backed every single one of them up with data. I cannot force you to believe the information provided. But "going off"? Please.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Are you, by chance, related to King_9.5? Either we are talking about Macon or we are talking about other places.
Gray - crime index of 336.1 - 49 thefts reported during the last year recorded.
Milledgeville - 275.1 - 522 thefts
Warner Robins - 450.3 - 3050 thefts
Perry - 199.1 - 220 thefts
Macon - 570.3 - 4371 thefts (an astonishing 12 thefts per day average!)

Just exactly how am I "going off"? I have added no opinions whatsoever this week. I have posted only statistics, yet somehow you see that as going off?
It is not a matter of potential, as all cities have the potential to improve. Even Camden, N.J.. You can offer your opinions about what is pleasing to your eye (hill, river, whatever) but that does not automatically make everyone else feel warm and fuzzy. In my opinion there are no real hills in the Macon area. And the river does not get really usable for me until it joins the Oconee down by Lumber City. But that does not make your opinion any less valid. But I have not been talking opinions, you have. I made statements and backed every single one of them up with data. I cannot force you to believe the information provided. But "going off"? Please.
Ok let me give you some "facts:

The FBI says that use of its crime indesx should not be used to determine how safe a city is or ranking as there are unique factors and circomstances that are not factors that are able to be used across the board for every city.

YET you are using just that as if its conclusivve evidence proves that it is bad as you seem to think.
Dont get mne wrong I think the crime in Macon really is higher than it should be but you make it sound as if it is totally unliveabnle.

I brought up Camden as an example becuase Camden looks physically depressed and is economically depressed.Not only that more than 2out of three nales have been in jail at least once and the unemployment rate 12.3% in Macon its 8.8% in Detroits it 14.4% and for compariosn ,in Columbus Georgia its,7.4%,
So in respect to areas like Detroit,Camden,etc,Macon is certainly not as lost as you suggest is a fact.When compared on more things than JUST crime,there are reasons people would still move there.

You cannot seem to see that.

So yes like you ,I have opinions but my opinions are put in proper context.You cannot just provide facts with proper context and then just say:im using facts!"

Old 08-08-2014, 03:53 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,023,544 times
Quote:
Ok let me give you some "facts:

The FBI says that use of its crime indesx should not be used to determine how safe a city is or ranking as there are unique factors and circomstances that are not factors that are able to be used across the board for every city.

YET you are using just that as if its conclusivve evidence proves that it is bad as you seem to think.
Dont get mne wrong I think the crime in Macon really is higher than it should be but you make it sound as if it is totally unliveabnle.
If I was only using the City-Data crime index as a 'crime barometer', your point would have more validity. But I used crimes per capita in this example
Quote:
Wouldn't you want to know that there were more than twice the number of murders in Macon than in Savannah (per capita, 2012) if you were thinking of moving here?
And I never made anything sound like anything. In fact, I posted this
Quote:
Never once did I say that there were not nice and safe places in Macon
Macon has a few bad sections of town inside its city limits. Those sections skew the crime rankings and the per capita crime data. But Macon is not unique in that regard, most larger cities have this very same situation. Savannah certainly does. As does Columbus.

Quote:
I brought up Camden as an example becuase Camden looks physically depressed and is economically depressed.Not only that more than 2out of three nales have been in jail at least once and the unemployment rate 12.3% in Macon its 8.8% in Detroits it 14.4% and for compariosn ,in Columbus Georgia its,7.4%,
So in respect to areas like Detroit,Camden,etc,Macon is certainly not as lost as you suggest is a fact.When compared on more things than JUST crime,there are reasons people would still move there.

You cannot seem to see that.
Time after time I am accused of "making something seem" or "not as lost as you suggest".
When in actuality I post actual statistics. Rarely do I ever post my opinions in this regard. I do not change any stats nor do I just make them up. I generally compare stats (not indexes) from one city to another for simple comparison reasons. If you live within the old city limits of Macon (latest data not updated yet) there were 21 murders within just a few miles of you in 2012. That is not an index of crime, those are the actual reported crimes. The fact that you feel completely safe in your north Macon suburb does not affect those numbers one bit. I consider it a bit disingenuous to simple say "there are bad areas in town, just avoid them" to folks who are considering relocation to Macon. Those bad areas exist in every decent sized city and Macon is not unique in that regard, despite you might think or feel.

Quote:
So yes like you ,I have opinions but my opinions are put in proper context.You cannot just provide facts with proper context and then just say:im using facts!"
You see, this is where I have a problem with your post. I offered no opinion whatsoever and was the only person placing stuff in as close to context as possible. I posted the actual crime data for two cities FOR context purposes. It sure seems to me, time after time, if I post published data I am accused of making something out of nothing. Its as if people do not want to believe what is happening just a few miles from where they live. I am accused of being deceitful, or at least of having an agenda, simply by joining into an already started discussion and inserting actual data as apposed to feelings or opinions.
I guess it can be attributed to human nature, where facts often get in the way of feelings.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
If I was only using the City-Data crime index as a 'crime barometer', your point would have more validity. But I used crimes per capita in this example
Macon has a few bad sections of town inside its city limits. Those sections skew the crime rankings and the per capita crime data. But Macon is not unique in that regard, most larger cities have this very same situation. Savannah certainly does. As does Columbus.

Time after time I am accused of "making something seem" or "not as lost as you suggest".
When in actuality I post actual statistics. Rarely do I ever post my opinions in this regard. I do not change any stats nor do I just make them up. I generally compare stats (not indexes) from one city to another for simple comparison reasons. If you live within the old city limits of Macon (latest data not updated yet) there were 21 murders within just a few miles of you in 2012. That is not an index of crime, those are the actual reported crimes. The fact that you feel completely safe in your north Macon suburb does not affect those numbers one bit. I consider it a bit disingenuous to simple say "there are bad areas in town, just avoid them" to folks who are considering relocation to Macon. Those bad areas exist in every decent sized city and Macon is not unique in that regard, despite you might think or feel.

You see, this is where I have a problem with your post. I offered no opinion whatsoever and was the only person placing stuff in as close to context as possible. I posted the actual crime data for two cities FOR context purposes. It sure seems to me, time after time, if I post published data I am accused of making something out of nothing. Its as if people do not want to believe what is happening just a few miles from where they live. I am accused of being deceitful, or at least of having an agenda, simply by joining into an already started discussion and inserting actual data as apposed to feelings or opinions.
I guess it can be attributed to human nature, where facts often get in the way of feelings.
Its not a matter of WHAT you say but how you say it.When your only post are negative then its easy for that to be rerad as DONT MOVE HERE BECAUSE ITS ALL BAD!

So regardless of what you say,your remarks all almost always not flattering.

If you tld me I was fat all the time and never said one thing about how nice I dress myslef then do you think I would think you thought of me kindly or positively?Of course not.Its the same thing.

When giving advice and FI you are trying to be neutral and impartial,you have to give some good examples and well as with the bad.All I get out of your post is negativity so what else am I and others suppose to conclude?

Old 08-10-2014, 06:13 AM

49 posts, read 82,064 times
Quote:

Wait, what? Whatever point or argument you're trying to make is all over the place. You said Macon has a few bad sections that skew crime statistics and most decent sized cities have these bad sections, but you consider it "disingenuous" for someone simply to say avoid those areas? If most decent sized cities have bad sections, and simply telling people to avoid those areas is "disingenuous," then what are you saying? That people should avoid most decent sized cities altogether? Being disingenuous would be denying that any bad areas exist at all. Telling people where those bad areas are, and to avoid them, would be the complete opposite. So if someone lives in a city that has bad sections, you cant tell people to avoid those sections and relocate to nicer areas of town? What are you supposed to say? Tell them to go find a town with 0 bad neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon