Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,936 times

Advertisements

There is a Primary School within 5 minutes and a Middle School within 15 minutes.They are apart of the Bibb County School District and score very high the middle school ( Howard Middle School ) is not over three years old. As far as High School education a propsed high school is coming to the area that will probaly be no more than 15 minutes away. The Primary-Elementary school ( Sonny Carter ) is located on 5910 Zebulon Road next to Kroger. The website is bibb.k12.ga.us/carter/. Any other information about Lake Wildwood can be found on Lakewildwood.org. Information on the city of macon can be found on CityofMacon.net. The only thing I advice is that you go out sightseeing, and for your safety please take all percautions in the Downtown Area however feel free to relax. There is a children's musem located next to the New Tubman Museum Construction Site, and across from the sports hall of fame, im sure your 4-year old would have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 08:39 AM

14 posts, read 54,954 times
Default Macon...good and bad.

I lived in Macon from 1988 to 1998 and saw a lot of changes. Buying a home is certainly affordable, but you'll want to be careful here as well. Neighborhoods change rapidly in terms of crime and general condition.

Over the course of 10 years I lived in Lake Wildwood, apartments on the north side, and right downtown in a highrise. When I was living downtown, I rarely saw anything bad (mid 90's) happen, although I am told it was iffy even then. Now you couldn't pay me enough to live there or most parts IN the city. The downtown seems to have given up completely! (I was just there at Christmas time.) There was gang graffiti on almost every flat surface. Characters of all kinds were hanging around in broad daylight. It just looked horrible. (This is the same area I lived in just 10 years ago.) There is much less crime and sprawl in the outer areas. All I can say is, if you see a neighborhood that looks nice, check carefully to find out what kind of neighborhoods surround it. Good luck.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 15,952 times
you are the first person to give a positive description of Macon. What portion of Macon do you live in. My family is planning on relocating in July 2007. We do have children. We just keep hearing about the south side vs the North side are these areas racially diverse or are they "going down" because they are mostly minorities. I understand that you are a teacher (in Macon?) I am a nurse.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:43 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,091 times
I was born and raised in Macon. I left there in 1987 and have only returned to the area to visit family. It would be last on my list of places in Georgia. Any city would look great with 300,000 cherry trees in bloom.

The building/business boom on the north side can be seen in just about any city of Macon's size or larger in the South (except LA and parts of MS). Notice that most of the growth is outside the city limits. Money moves where it's well treated and stays there.

It's a shame what's happened to the city -- such great history, music, architecture

Old 04-24-2007, 03:20 PM

I strongly disagree with most of what you said epecially on the quote below.

Quote:
The building/business boom on the north side can be seen in just about any city of Macon's size or larger in the South (except LA and parts of MS). Notice that most of the growth is outside the city limits. Money moves where it's well treated and stays there.

Macon's population is on a decline but many major corpartations see it as an econimic hotspot. Being 45 minutes from Atlanta, and 2 hours from Savannah you have easy access to major interstates, this is way companies like Geico, Sara Lee, Kohl's, and most recently Home Depot find Macon to be a huge economic hub, Macon is home to many major distribution's for the southeast.

I did some research about some Mississippi cities that have around the same population as Macon, and what I found was sad, but at the same time can back me up when I say this. There most populated city ( Jackson ) has around the same population as Bibb County ( 150,000 ). The Macon, GA Metro Area, happens to fall only 200,000 short of the Jackson, MS Metro Area, I understand the question of where does Hurricanes play a part in the population of Jackson, well Pre-Katrina Population was only 188,000 people and they city was already suffering a -6.3 loss.

There are only a few cities that compare to Macon in size thats in the South, there are none in Mississippi, or Arkansas. However, there is Charleston, and North Charleston, SC, Chattanooga, TN, several cities in Florida, and Virginia.

Also on the fact that any city would look great with 300,000 cherry trees, you are probably right but way doesnt every city have 300,000 cherry trees, if it maes you city look nice, way doesnt every city make the investment to go out in plant 300,000 cherry trees, why does Macon coninue to be Cherry Blossom Capital of the WORLD, dont you think if its brings hundreds of thousand of people to Macon each year for the festival, and over $10,000,000 to the area, that other cities would go out in plant these cherry trees.
However I do agree with the fact that every thing is going on outside the city limits, due to the fact of crime, and a huge part is do to politicians, thats way my name ( MayorofMacon2019 ) is the way it is.

Last edited by MayorOfMacon2019; 04-24-2007 at 03:54 PM..

Old 04-24-2007, 03:33 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfMacon2019 View Post
Being 45 minutes from Atlanta, and 2 hours from Savannah you have easy access to major interstates,
I see this number thrown around a lot and I finally had to say something. I've only done the drive a few times but it always takes twice that. Maybe from edge of metro to edge of metro but that wouldn't be a fair time to tell people interested in the area. I checked Mapquest and it says it takes 1 hour 25 minutes to get to Atlanta, a far cry from 45. It takes 58 minutes just to get to McDonough which is on the edge of the Atlanta metro area. Sure if you are on the northwest side of Macon you can probably get to the very southeast edge of Atlanta in 45 minutes but it really isn't accurate to say Atlanta and Macon are 45 minutes apart.

The 2 hours to Savannah also seems a little low but much more realistic.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:00 PM

Yea technically you're correct but i was speaking of the other edge, ask anyone from outside of Georgia, and there probably going to consider Henry County, Atlanta. But technically you're correct, and I'm positive about Macon being 2 hours from Savannah as I take the trip to Savannah over 10 times in a year, I usually average out around 2 hours, with a 15 minute stop near Statesboro.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:18 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,283 times
Sure, Henry County is part of the metro area. But why would people or business be going to Atlanta. If they are a business they want to be close for the airport (which is about an hour and fifteen minutes, or other business which are located in Atlanta (which are mostly north of I-20 and at least a 1.5 hour drive). If you're a resident you are looking for shopping (which all the good malls are again north of I-20 and at least a 1.5 hour drive) or for cultural activities which are going to be in the center of Atlanta (1.5 hour drive) or maybe for some sort of specialized medical treatment (also all north of I-20).

Most people aren't going to be going to Henry County so if you're giving information and are trying to be accurate I think you have to give times from city center to city center. You don't know where in a metro area people are going and theoretically the city center would provide a good average location. Otherwise people are going to move and be because of the misinformation they were given be very disappointed.

You might be right about Savannah. The times I did it, it seemed a little higher then that. Mapquest says 2.5 hours but those times are usually a little off. I can tell you though Atlanta to Savannah is a solid 4 hours so that would probably mean Atlanta to Macon is more like 2 hours then 45 minutes (and I'm coming from downtown, not northern suburbs).

Old 04-24-2007, 04:24 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfMacon2019 View Post
I'm positive about Macon being 2 hours from Savannah as I take the trip to Savannah over 10 times in a year, I usually average out around 2 hours, with a 15 minute stop near Statesboro.
Dude, how fast do you drive? It's 165 miles from Macon to Savannah. It takes me nearly two hours to get from Savannah to Dublin going the speed limit.

Are you one of those people who don't start timing till they get on the highway and going full speed (80+ mph)?

Old 04-25-2007, 04:39 PM

If im not mistaking the Georgia speed limit is 75 mph, meaning if I choose to drive 5 mi. over limit, I can.

Mapquest says from Macon Coliseum to Savannah/Hilton Head Airport, its 2 hrs, and 15 mins, I caculated and thats at 75 mph. However from Dublin to Savannah/Hilton Head Airport its 117.00 miles, and they est. that at 1 hrs. 50mins. at 75 mph.

I know this is going to be cut by an editor, but whie it last ellie you should mayb change your name to Mrs.Daisy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon