Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:05 AM

29 posts, read 51,085 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to move for a very long time now and keep coming back to the Macon/Warner Robbins area. I will not be moving under the best of circumstances but a move is unfortunately necessary. Where I currently live I can not stay at for long, and the city I am in is dying slowly. So here is what I need help with...Apartments, looking online gives me only the ones that advertise which is normally higher end. I need to know about employment options as well...I have lots of customer service experience and my bf can do factory work or something like that...I do have a son who is in middle school as well. I don't have money saved (not a lot anyway). I know that it isn't ideal but as I said I need to move and I don't see the point in moving to someplace closer to where I am now when where I am now isn't getting better or bigger but rather the population is getting smaller and business are closing...Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
You should probably get jobs first, that's the hard part around here. Geico is always hiring, they are a major claims center here in Macon, and there are plenty of factories around the Macon airport.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:55 PM

The idea of getting a job first is awesome! But having put in applications when you live in a different state for a basic job doesn't work well I need an address of some sort there...as I said in a perfect world things would work out easier lol I've just come to the conclusion that some times you need to take a leap of faith...knowing about the factories and such is great information.....thanks

Old 07-23-2013, 01:16 PM

177 posts, read 458,241 times
What you can afford will be a big factor in where you would live. What size apartment would you prefer, and what is the maximum rent you are willing to pay? Also, how important is safety in your decision, as well as school quality for your son?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM

I need two bedrooms, and i have cats (one of them I've had longer then my son ) as for rent i'm looking for as low as possible with no bug infestations...I'm not overly picky no i don't want to be in a place that i would be worried about being alone at night if possible but I'm also realistic that we are very limited on money and we will not be able to get the perfect apartment right now....with my son only have one year before he is in high school the school is important, but I am capable of supplementing his education if necessary...I would prefer a good school but again I'm realistic

Old 07-23-2013, 01:58 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
You don't need to be in Macon if you want a good school.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You don't need to be in Macon if you want a good school.
I suppose it depends on what is wrong with the schools... I have found great teachers in crappy schools and crappy teachers in great schools! A school is at least partly what you make of it...so unless you are saying that the schools do not offer advanced or AP classes in high school or that they perhaps don't have teachers or electricity then I feel it is possible to learn...I don't now and have never put all the responsibility of my son's education onto the school he attends and I don't plan on that now...

Although I would be interested in what you feel is wrong with the schools instead of just a statement that they are all bad

Old 07-23-2013, 02:33 PM

177 posts, read 458,241 times
The problem with many of Macon's public schools go beyond the quality of education they will receive. You might also want to consider the safety factor in these schools. If your son can get in the AP classes and steer clear of the troubled students, then he might do okay, especially if you can supplement his education to fill in the gaps from a mediocre school system. On that note, one of the areas I would suggest you look is northeast Macon, particularly in the 31211 zip code. In my opinion, if you are very limited on income, there are some apartments/rentals on the outskirts of that zip code that would probably be safer than many other areas in Macon. You might also see what is available over the line in Jones county. I think there are a couple of apartment complexes just over the line and in the town of Gray (10 miles further) that are more affordable, plus your son could then go to Jones county schools.

One last suggestion would be to consider some of the more affordable areas of Warner Robins, particularly the north side of town (zip code 31093). I know many people claim that section of town is crime ridden. To some extent, they are correct, but compared to a large portion of Macon, I don't think the crime is nearly as high. Most of the crime in that area is property crime, as Warner Robins still rates fairly low on violent crime. Most of the jobs in Warner Robins either fall into the retail category or are affiliated with the Air Force Base. Base jobs are hard to get unless you know someone with influence. Therefore, if you live in Warner Robins, you may have to commute to Macon or south Bibb County for work.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:28 PM

I was looking into Warner Robbins to begin with, it just seemed that Macon is cheaper...I don't have a problem supplementing an education, and we are aiming for advanced and AP classes...the school he is going to now is not really in the safest neighborhood to be honest...I'm not sure if there is a safe school in the area I'm currently in...Thanks for the info and zip codes...any more info or opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacca1124 View Post
I was looking into Warner Robbins to begin with, it just seemed that Macon is cheaper...I don't have a problem supplementing an education, and we are aiming for advanced and AP classes...the school he is going to now is not really in the safest neighborhood to be honest...I'm not sure if there is a safe school in the area I'm currently in...Thanks for the info and zip codes...any more info or opinions are greatly appreciated!!!!!
As one who is very knowledgeable of Macon's schools, I would say that Howard (north Bibb co), Rutland (south Bibb County) and Central High's IB program are really the only options that are acceptable for high school. While there are some great kids and teachers at Southwest and Northeast Highs, the gang and discipline issues are so severe that it is tough for learning to occur. I wish I could say otherwise but unless your son has an A+ in ghetto understanding 101 then steer clear of those high schools IMO. Westside...who knows...that place is ok to some and miserable to others...not an expert on that one but most view it quite negatively.

The above is why so much of Macon is cheaper than WR as a whole. I would really look at WR 31093 or south bibb or north bibb because of the school requirement.

Hutchings Career Center is ok, but they dont offer much in the way of advanced academics so not helpful if you are looking for AP classes. That is a missed opportunity for many in Bibb's worst school zones, however,...anyone in the county can go there and they actually have the highest graduation rate in the county so if you find a cheap apartment in a bad school zone it could be a better option for a year or two.

If you have to do Bibb schools, PM me if you want specific info...many graduate with great educations, but as a whole the schools are not as good as Houston Co. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon