Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,789 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am looking for friendly neighborhoods, close to I-75, or 285, or other highways that could lead to the above mentioned highways, as well as within close proximity to ATT COR store locations, and very low crime rate. Currently I work for ATT, and I am looking for a change. I have done a little research and here are some of the zip codes and neighborhoods I've come up with.

Smyrna- 30080; Riverdale- 30327; Sandy Springs- 30342; Warner Robins- 31088; Macon, GA;

North Macon, GA; East Macon, GA; Marietta, GA; and McDonough, Ga

I don't have zip codes for all of the cities. I am looking for your help as to a great neighborhood, not a long commute to work possibly no more than 20 minutes if possible, but not concrete.., but definitely nothing 40 minutes or more in commutes...

Close to the above mentioned highways if possible, and low crime rate. Most of all and very, very important, I have no intentions of switching my cell phone service to Verizon, I would like to stay as an ATT customer and with that being said my service has to work in the area that I live in.

Thanks to everyone in advance for their cooperation in helping me to make my decision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 02:02 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,077,696 times
Pretty much all of North Macon fits your criteria. Most of East Macon's best neighborhoods are further out bordering Jones County but you have the Shirley Hills area in East Macon behind Kroger and it's directly by I-75

Old 08-21-2014, 05:11 AM

Thanks for your response King_X.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:19 PM

Good evening everyone,

As I am trying to get all my ducks in row I am asking for your help. Can you tell which county or counties neighbor Cobb County and are within 30 minutes the most to Atlanta?

Thank you once again for your help and responses.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:55 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,942,719 times
Your first post is pretty vague on where exactly your job will be located. 285 is a circle around in-town neighborhoods of Atlanta and 75 shoots right through the middle from NW to SE and vice versa.

You also mentioned towns with a few zip codes you were looking in to. I'm assuming you'll be traveling to and around those various places?? If so, you may want to look into suburbs south of Atlanta such as McDonough in Henry County for example.

For the record, if you have to travel to those places, it will take you a minimum of 40 minutes to get to some of them considering how vast of an area it is. Also, you should post in the Atlanta forum as most of these places (except for Macon) are in the Atlanta area AND it gets TONS more traffic than the Macon forum which may get posts or comments every other day at times.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 PM

Hi Wandering Import,

Thank you for your response. I don't have a job in Georgia as yet as I am currently employed with ATT, however there are no current positions in my field. However I am very adamit about moving to Georgia with my savings. I have been searching for single family homes, duplexes, or apartments for rent in Cobb County, however I refuse to live in Atlanta...

Thank you for your response.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All About Change View Post
Hi Wandering Import,

Thank you for your response. I don't have a job in Georgia as yet as I am currently employed with ATT, however there are no current positions in my field. However I am very adamit about moving to Georgia with my savings. I have been searching for single family homes, duplexes, or apartments for rent in Cobb County, however I refuse to live in Atlanta...

Thank you for your response.
Rents in and around Atlanta metro have skyrocketed and I hear other growing parts of Georgia are experiencing the same thing (Savannah, for example). You would be doing yourself a big favor by having a job before you moved.

Cobb County is considered the Atlanta area, so technically, you would be living in Atlanta. I'm assuming you meant you refuse to live in the city proper of Atlanta. Why? There are some beautiful low crime in-town neighborhoods with lots of flavor and charm, however, prices get pretty high inside the perimeter (285).

Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,838,265 times
The further away from Atlanta you go, the cheaper things will get. McDonough is a good choice. Warner Robins, too. Avoid Riverdale and East Macon.

But as others have said, don't move anywhere without a job first.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:09 PM

446 posts, read 675,701 times
Cobb County is a suburb county of Atlanta so you will not be living in Atlanta. Only way you will be close to living in Atlanta for as Cobb County is Vinings where Cumberland mall is. Vinings is on 285 and 75 also its a mid or upscale type of area on the northwest side of Atlanta across the river. vinings is where the new braves stadium is being built also. You have Smyrna a city north and west of Vinings which part of it is off 285 and that part is relatively a good place to live. You have Mableton and Austell where Six Flags is but the 2 cities are a lil tricky for some it spreads from I-20 back up into Cobb and to east Paulding county. All of those small cities are in Cobb and are suburbs of Atlanta. Cobb County will let you know that you are in Cobb County. Parts of riverdale are fine and other parts aren't I never had an issue in Riverdale or the Clayton County areas. There are plenty of single family homes and duplexes in Smyrna, Mableton, Austell and Vinings area but the further you are away from the city its gets cheaper 75% of the time....If you are going to live in Cobb County think about traffic location of work and that's even on the southside(Clayton County suburb of Atlanta also...City of Atlanta is in Fulton and part of it extends into DeKalb County just for your info of where Atlanta is located)

Old 08-22-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
Cobb County is a suburb county of Atlanta so you will not be living in Atlanta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1985 View Post
All of those small cities are in Cobb and are suburbs of Atlanta.)
I said technically living in Atlanta, not officially. If someone from outside Georgia not familiar with the area asked where you lived. You typically wouldn't respond with Vinings or Smyrna, you'd say Atlanta. Unless you just wanted to confuse them. Most people don't know the suburbs, they do know Atlanta. That was my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon