Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 05:05 AM

49 posts, read 82,455 times

Advertisements

A water park that could handle 1,000 or more visitors a day is slated for Lake Tobesofkee by June 2015 under a deal Macon-Bibb County commissioners approved Tuesday night.
The surprise agreement, discussed in a closed session before the regular commission meeting, calls for a $2.7 million investment by Spirit of America Theme Park and Development LLC in exchange for a 20-year lease and $248,000 in publicly funded improvements near Sandy Beach.
Commissioners added the item to Tuesday’s action agenda and voted unanimously to ratify it.
The resolution authorizes use of bond money from a 2013 issue by the Macon-Bibb County Urban Development Authority to pay for public improvements, such as utility service and road upgrades.
The initial site is 8 acres at Sandy Beach, with the possibility for some expansion. It will include a year-round pool, children’s splash pool, “lazy river,” wave pool, two water slides at least 250 feet long as well as beach and concession areas, according to a description of the project.
The developers, based in Marietta, intend to have the park in operation by June 30, 2015, the agreement says. They would pay just $1 per year for the land lease’s first three years, but in years four through six that would rise to 1 percent of the water park’s gross revenue, and 1.5 percent thereafter, according to the agreement.
Peach County commissioners agreed Sept. 11 to approve a similar park by the same developer on about 6 acres between Russell Parkway and Lakeview Road, near U.S. 41. Peach County agreed to put in $300,000 worth of road improvements once the park there is 25 percent complete.
The Georgia Open Meetings Act allows for closed session to discuss the disposal of property, including leases, provided any final vote is taken in public.
SUNDAY VOTING
A resolution authorizing $3,000 to pay for Sunday voting in the November election passed 7-2, though an earlier rejection by the Macon-Bibb County Board of Elections casts its usefulness in doubt.
“That should be a moot point,” Mayor Robert Reichert said at a pre-commission meeting. The board of elections voted 3-2 Sept. 25 against opening polls on Sundays.
Commissioner Al Tillman -- co-sponsor of the resolution along with Commissioner Elaine Lucas -- wondered whether commissioners could also direct the board of elections to hold Sunday voting.
“You can vote to do it, but it would be of no legal effect,” County Attorney Judd Drake said.
Commissioners Ed DeFore and Mallory Jones voted against the resolution. In earlier discussions, Jones said absentee voting, three weeks of early voting, Saturday voting and the regular election day should be enough.
LOG CABIN DRIVE
Authorization for the Macon-Bibb County Land Bank Authority to buy easements and rights of way along Log Cabin Drive, in anticipation of road improvements there, passed unanimously.
Land acquisition is expected to cost up to $264,200, including all fees, according to the resolution. It should take 9 to 12 months to complete, Reichert said.
The work will add sidewalks and a pedestrian bridge over Rocky Creek, fix the existing bridge and improve the intersection with Hollingsworth Road.
Tillman said he hopes the Belle*vue Concerned Citizens group is kept informed of progress.
“I think this is very exciting for the folks that have been waiting a long time,” he said.
DeFore said he’s long called for the Rocky Creek bridge to be widened, and he thanked the administration for agreeing to the work.
In reply to DeFore, Reichert said, “Thank you for the SPLOST funds that made it possible.”

$2.7 million water park approved for Lake Tobesofkee | Politics | Macon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 06:24 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,356 times
I don't understand the recent obsession with water parks. This sounds like good news and I am not knocking it, but water parks will only be open from May to September with the kids being in school for 3 of those 5 months (May, August, September). Where are the customers going to come from? We have next to zero tourism. Atlanta, Statesboro, Valdosta, and Jekyll all have water parks already so it will just be locals. I hope it does well, but I am skeptical.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:27 PM

153 posts, read 274,812 times
I'm a little skeptical as well. I don't really know where all of the visitors will come from. Macon is quite close to Atlanta, which already has a large water park, so it might get a few people from that area, but not very many. A little more might come from Columbus, since it has no water park. Savannah has a water park much closer to the city than Macon is. Augusta has a $20.0 million water park planned, so none from that area either. No one from Florida traveling to Atlanta either. While I would love to have a water park here, I think their visitor projections are way to high. It will probably just be local, not really a tourism draw, and 8 Acres is pretty small. It will probably be great for the local, and I am always happy to hear about improvements.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:51 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,844,832 times
Quote:
A little more might come from Columbus, since it has no water park.
WRONG! The Columbus area does have water parks.

Surfside Water Park
Robin Lake Beach
Whitewater .....Just to name a few.

The Tri-City is filled with water parks.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:27 AM

967 posts, read 1,073,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post

Surfside Water Park
Robin Lake Beach

I think he was referring more to one with water slides. Surfside unfortunately closed. Although with our Whitewater attraction I wouldn't be suprised if one is added sometime in the future. Based on the site plan for the Brickyard in Phenix City there will be an indoor one connected to that project.

I am glad for the Macon area and being from Columbus I'd definetly come check it out if it looks impressive once built. If the price is a lot cheaper than Whitewater in Atlanta, which I would assume it would be being much smaller, I can see it bringing in some people from Columbus.

Last edited by DWColumbus; 10-10-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 01:35 PM

153 posts, read 274,812 times
Quote:

Surfside Water Park
Robin Lake Beach

Ya, I was talking about one with slides, a lazy river,and a wave pool of the sort, which Columbus does not have. I am very familiar with Columbus.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:

Surfside Water Park
Robin Lake Beach

Somehow I knew the kid would be here trying to fluff up Columbus.

None of those are regular water parks with slides and lazy rivers, but thanks for playing.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:25 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times
Macon water park to open on Memorial Day - 41 NBC News

Old 01-31-2015, 03:09 PM

70 posts, read 60,544 times
cant wait til it opens. but i think if a water park going to be built it needs to be where anyone can get to. problem with it being at the lake is the buses dont go out there. the closest the bus gets is where the food lion was on thomaston rd. think it would have been a hit if put on the along the river front somewhere. will be watching this project with interest.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:27 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipspeed View Post
cant wait til it opens. but i think if a water park going to be built it needs to be where anyone can get to. problem with it being at the lake is the buses dont go out there. the closest the bus gets is where the food lion was on thomaston rd. think it would have been a hit if put on the along the river front somewhere. will be watching this project with interest.
There are exceptions, but a majority of Macon Transit customers are rather low income....probably not the target audience of this venture. If enough bus riders would use a line out there, they would do it, but I doubt sustained ridership is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon