Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 12:17 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
I like your posts here about great bones and history. Just visited Macon finally and it's an outstanding place! Underrated, kind of off the radar. Very interesting city. Riverwalk is great. Reminds me of Columbia. As is Ocmulgee National Park. I see it as an inland cousin to Savannah. We have some really great cities here in Georgia.
Ive taken some friends down to Macon twice for a day trip.Alll of them from different oarts of the U..S. and arround the world.
We all had a great time.
Everyone was really intrigued by the Occumulgee Natuonal Park and Monument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 10:14 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,543 times

Old 01-15-2015, 10:09 AM

149 posts, read 197,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
That couldn't be the reason for that, since there are cases of cities of way over 50,000 people being located next to each other and still being considered the same metro area. Dallas-Fort Worth is an example of that. The gain in population was probably not the reason for the separation. Warner Robins could have become it's own micropolitan area even without a gain in population, as long as other factors changed. Commuting patterns probably fell below the threshold between the counties, so they became separate metro areas but have still have enough connection to be the same CSA.
In Fulton county; we all know Atlanta is the reason, the mother city, but now there are 4 other cities/suburbs with over 50,000. Sandy springs 99,419, Roswell 93,692, Johns creek 82,306 and Alpharetta 61,981. They all know that all they will ever be are suburbs of Atlanta. Warner Robins, the Base and suburb that Macon gave birth to 75 years ago want it's own urban status. BTW it don't even have a downtown, it's a true suburb and much of it look and feel just like Macon.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:02 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,587 times
I POSTED THIS IN THE MACON TRANSIT THREAD, BUT IM REPOSTING HERE BECAUSE I FEEL AS THOUGH THOSE IN GOVERNMENT POSITIONS IN THE CENTRAL GA AREA, PARTICULARY MACON-BIBB AND WARNER ROBINS NEED TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE IF THEY EVER WANT TO COMPETE WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD OR EVEN THE REST OF GEORGIA FOR THAT MATTER AND EVER BE A TRUE HEALTHY METRO AREA WITH A HEALTHY ECONOMY. IT ALL STARTS WITH UNITY

Well to be Honest with you, this is a MACON Problem Period... The MTA Bus System just isnt running where the Population is anymore. Reason being Most of the Macon Residents have moved to the outer portions of Bibb and Houston County,or Yes ATLANTA, while the Inner Core Near Downtown has suffered like Crazy and nothing or very little has been done to redevelop the Inner City. They Just Tear down the Delapated homes thinking thats going to solve Macons Problem and leave a Ghost Town with Empty holes, Isolated looking place. Prime Examples, Sections of 2nd, 3rd St. and Houston Ave. Even Shopping Centers like the WestGate Area looks like something out of a Zombie Movie, Ridiculous. On top of all of that, The bus Routes havent Changed in YEARS, Still pretty much run in the same Areas it has well over 20 to 30 years Ago. The only reason the City can even half way compete with other 2nd Tier Cities is Consolidation, and the people within the City and County Government knew that they had no other Choice, thats the only reason why they did it. My opinion and yes this is my personal opinion, i think one of Macons Biggest Mistakes was Changing there Transit Bus Style to a bunch of CutAway Buses, They look like a bunch of Church Buses Running around a City which is Ridiculous. For a City Macon's size that is not Appropriate. CutAway Buses should be Used for disabled Customers only, Not the GENERAL Population. They Claim they Changed to CutAWAYs due to Cost Efficiency and the Green Nature of the Buses,, SMH..Who ever is making the Decisions in Macon-Bibb County sure can make some bad decisions and make the City look bad, but whats New, this has been going on for YEARS. The better plan would have been to Expand the System County Wide, Especially since the City and County has Consolidated. Especially in Areas in Shopping Districts of North, West and South Bibb County or Macon Now that it has Supposedly Consolidated. Build Transit Hubs in the Suburban Corners of the County with Mini Park and Ride Lots and Bus Shelters. Build a Healthy Bus System with Regular Transit Buses that People can see it is a real TRANSIT SYSTEM and they will ride it. Focus on a Real Regional System Covering both Macon-Bibb and Warner Robins Houston County with real Transit Buses and Shelters for the Public and watch Rideship increase. The Macon Transit Authroity worries about the wrong things like Facilities and Terminal Stations, SMH, more than the System itself or the Citizens. The crazy part is they have lacked for years even getting Bus Shelter in the Parts of Town that needed them the Most, Prime Example Houston Ave. To be Honest the People of Macon has just what the people running there Govt. WANT them to have and it has been that way for years now. Some things never Change no matter what year it is sad to say. If you want better Services that you expect from a healthy Metro Area, Your only real option is to Leave, i have faced that fact...You cant beat a dead Horse

Old 01-30-2015, 04:12 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,251 times
Hijacking other threads is not the way to contact government officials. Have you tried email, a phone call, or old fashioned letters? I doubt officials give much credence to anoymous online forums...

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 01-30-2015 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon