Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 12:43 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times

Advertisements

Jessica, you may like Lizella, which is still in Bibb County. As midgeorgiaman said, not all of Macon in crime infested. It seems like Jessica prefers more of a small town setting though. Convextech is right, there isn't much in Gray at all, but if you just want a nice, quiet, small town with a sense of community with good schools then Gray is fine. She can drive to Macon or Milledgeville for other amenities. Gray doesn't have as much as Perry, Forsyth, Milledgeville, etc. but it is smaller and more serene, calm, etc. You should come check out all of these towns if you can, Jessica. It's possible that you could like them all. They're all decent smaller towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 07:44 PM

45 posts, read 107,960 times
Thank you everyone for the info. My husband and I are talking about coming down this summer to check out the area out and we will go visit all the towns. And we are looking more for a laid back town with charm. Somewhere where there's a nice downtown and a sense of community with good schools and parks for our son. He's really into sports already so as soon as I can sign him up for sports I would like too as well. We currently live in a city and Macon is too big for what we are looking for.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:32 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica41108 View Post
Thank you everyone for the info. My husband and I are talking about coming down this summer to check out the area out and we will go visit all the towns. And we are looking more for a laid back town with charm. Somewhere where there's a nice downtown and a sense of community with good schools and parks for our son. He's really into sports already so as soon as I can sign him up for sports I would like too as well. We currently live in a city and Macon is too big for what we are looking for.
Given what you are looking for...Perry is your best bet. It is the only town that meets all of your requirements. It has a nice albeit small downtown area and good schools and youth sports programs.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:29 AM

9 posts, read 16,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
No. They are separate towns 10 miles apart. For the record...not all of Macon is crime infested....my neighborhood of over 300 homes has gone months without a single crime...not one. Just saying. So no, people dont ride around for miles outside of their neighborhood looking for unsuspecting victims. SMH.
It's difficult to know what areas of Macon are decent when we currently live 500+ miles away. Just going off of what is read in forums, where the majority of the comments recommend staying out of Macon. Husband is moving next month so it should give him some time to check out different areas. We have 3 school age kids, one whom will be entering high school next year- so schools are top priority. We like the smaller town feel, which is why we were considering Gray, also if seems to be a good midway point to Dublin and Warner Robins, which is where the husband will be alternating work. Appreciate the insight from those who know the area.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:27 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Gray is not between Dublin & Warner Robins, it's between Macon & Milledgeville. If your husband will be alternating between Dublin & WR, I'd stick with WR.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:53 AM

He only needs to live within an hour of each and will be primarily in WR, spending very little time in Dublin. We like more of the small town atmosphere. Any other towns within that area that are smaller in population?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:20 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Not between WR and Dublin. Perry maybe, which a little south, and is a longer way to Dublin. Or maybe Hawkinsville. Do you have a map?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:18 AM

He's going to check out Perry when he gets there next month. I've mapquested a bunch of different locations, but since the majority of time will be spent at RAFB we figured we should stay closer to that area.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:51 PM

399 posts, read 568,327 times
If I had a vote, I'd vote Kathleen. Granted, we live in Byron and I work in Macon. It's a 20 minute drive to work most times. Our subdivision is new and they're still building, Peach Park is down the street and we have a play ground if you have other little ones. Oh, and the important part.... houses are very inexpensive.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
I would at least look in the quality areas of North Macon. Can anyone here give this nice young couple some ideas of some good elementary school district in North Macon so they can narrow their search?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon