Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 07:48 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,126,480 times

Advertisements

Reasons like this is why Georgia imo needs to have a state dedicated source of funding for transit. It makes no sense that roads get all of the transportation funding.
Quote:
Jones says to run the bus line without the federal funds could mean routes could be eliminated and ride prices could increase from $1.25 to up to $5.

"We would have no means to support the federal portion of the bus line," argues Jones.

Roynita Sherman relies on MTA because she doesn't drive.

"I don't think it's fair for the government to cut MTA funds because a lot of us depend on it to get to school, work, daycare centers," expresses Sherman.

Jones admits raising bus fares usually lowers the number of people that will take the bus.

"I would not want to increase fares, I would like to consider that as my last option," states Jones. "We've got to remember that some folks, have to live within the incomes that they have with is very minimal and when you increase a fair even a little bit it effects them a lot."

May 31 is the deadline for federal lawmakers to approve a transportation funding bill.
Macon Transit Authority could shut down without federal funding - 41 NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 12:32 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,452,479 times
Why dont they just implement or vote on a 1% sales Tax like marta does, if they know the City needs it and the people NEED it. That type of thing is done with Splost and road improvements projects all the time. They already know the State is not going to pay for it. But you know what, that's Typical Macon, waiting till the last minute when things get bad when better planning could have been done in the beginning. SMH, Prime Example of what i have been saying all along. It would Ridiculous if Macon-Bibb county, a city and County of over 150,000 residence allows its Transit System to Shut down. Its actually kind of Ridiculous were even having this conversation. Believe me if Clayton County and the State of GA allowed C-Tran to shut down back in 2009 they will let it Happen to Macon and not give it a second Thought... SMH

Old 03-26-2015, 06:47 PM

149 posts, read 196,201 times
This is or would be a major step in the wrong direction for Macon.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:51 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,238,297 times
I doubt this will come to pass. More legislative BS. Not that the Feds love Macon or anything, but this is a nationwide transit "pool" of money and other transit systems rely on it as well. Other cities have transit that is imperative to a majority of their citizens and this will not fly. Just my thoughts...not an expert on public transit funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: