U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 08:39 PM

5,044 posts, read 3,739,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
“In 2012, we began to focus on three target blocks, and it was about 50 percent vacant,” he said. “Right now, it’s only about 31 percent vacant. If you can get new storefronts and concentrate where they are, people are going to notice.”

NewTown, its downtown partners and commercial developers have had a great deal of success increasing downtown living over the past few years as the number of available lofts has increased dramatically from 214 in 2012 to 396 now. The commercial growth that needs to develop alongside the residential growth has come along a little more slowly, Rogers said.

“Part of it is market-driven,” he said. “For every 15 lofts, we try to get one new storefront.”

The occupancy of new storefronts has grown slowly but steadily, Rogers said, noting that the three target blocks -- bordered by Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, and Cherry, Second and Plum streets -- are expected to reach 70 percent occupancy by the end of 2015.

NewTown has been able to protect certain storefronts on its target blocks using the Transitional Property Fund, which allows someone to donate or partially donate a building to NewTown, which in turn matches the property with developers.

NewTown has used the fund, for example, to protect the space along Cherry Street, allowing for businesses such as Travis Jean and Doughboy Pizza to open. In addition, there’s other available commercial space and multiple residential units.

Read more here: Commercial blight: Empty buildings don’t necessarily mean blight, says NewTown leader | Local & State | Macon.com
Commercial blight: Empty buildings don’t necessarily mean blight, says NewTown leader | Local & State | Macon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 09:58 PM

5,044 posts, read 3,739,743 times
Here's the next part of the excellent series the Macon Telegraph is doing on commercial blight in Macon. I think the timing of this series s important considering two major retail developments have been announced in the last month for North Macon.

Quote:
Eisenhower Parkway is the heart of Middle Georgia’s retail industry.

Some $450 million is spent along that stretch each year, according to Hull Property Group, owners of the Macon Mall on Eisenhower.

But you wouldn’t know it from how it looks.

Arriving into Macon via Interstate 75 and traveling west along Eisenhower, drivers see acres of pavement in front of empty or rundown buildings. Over the decades, new development has spread west along the corridor away from the mall, pulling economic activity with it.

“We see a lot of cannibalism, where a chain store moves slightly farther out of the city and slightly more into the suburbs, leaving an empty building standing in a place that used to be the hot new commercial development,” said Sarah Gerwig-Moore, outgoing Macon-Bibb County Planning & Zoning Commission chairwoman.

Read more here: Eisenhower decline at center of commercial blight | Local & State | Macon.com
Eisenhower decline at center of commercial blight | Local & State | Macon.com

Old 04-27-2015, 08:31 AM

149 posts, read 117,775 times
Yes it is and if you can recall I stated about how Eisenhower crossing sucked the life out of the Macon Mall in which sucked the life out of Westgate Mall. 3 Major centers in the same area. North Macon already has 2 large scale shopping centers on Tom Hill Sr. Blvd. The Shoppes at River Crossing not that far away and also a smaller Publix shopping center on Bass Rd. Now North Macon is about to get 2 more in basically the same area between Riverside and Bass Rd. Stores go to where the money is but that is a lot of stores in one area; somebody going to loose and leave an empty big box like they did to the west side of town. I really believe some should consider downtown or renew Westgate. Retail Investors were thirsty for Macon before the recession and still are but unless Macon attract a few more high paying employers, Some of these stores/centers will fail. I am as optimistic as they are but let's get the population and money up to par. Another downside to Macon shopping is the same as the airport; we are just too close to the mother load; Atlanta. Macon don't have to have a Bloomingdales or Saks Fifth Ave. when they're just up the road. When I ride through midtown or Buckhead I think/wish; with such a vigorous building competition in Atlanta, Macon would benefit with just one of these businesses/tower or 2. I know that was off the subject; just a thought.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:21 PM

919 posts, read 1,294,575 times
My guess...Tom Hill Sr will be the loser here...Unfortunately.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:10 PM

573 posts, read 927,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDarrylx View Post
Yes it is and if you can recall I stated about how Eisenhower crossing sucked the life out of the Macon Mall in which sucked the life out of Westgate Mall. 3 Major centers in the same area. North Macon already has 2 large scale shopping centers on Tom Hill Sr. Blvd. The Shoppes at River Crossing not that far away and also a smaller Publix shopping center on Bass Rd. Now North Macon is about to get 2 more in basically the same area between Riverside and Bass Rd. Stores go to where the money is but that is a lot of stores in one area; somebody going to loose and leave an empty big box like they did to the west side of town. I really believe some should consider downtown or renew Westgate. Retail Investors were thirsty for Macon before the recession and still are but unless Macon attract a few more high paying employers, Some of these stores/centers will fail. I am as optimistic as they are but let's get the population and money up to par. Another downside to Macon shopping is the same as the airport; we are just too close to the mother load; Atlanta. Macon don't have to have a Bloomingdales or Saks Fifth Ave. when they're just up the road. When I ride through midtown or Buckhead I think/wish; with such a vigorous building competition in Atlanta, Macon would benefit with just one of these businesses/tower or 2. I know that was off the subject; just a thought.
Darrylx... I live in Atlanta now but i'm originally from the Macon area... I do the same thing when I'm riding around Atlanta, I wish Macon could just take off economically and reap some of these office towers like Atlanta. Also I agree those retail investors was huge on Macon before the recession.... There was like 8 different mix-used lifestyle centers proposed for Macon including several in North Macon and 3 for the Hartley Bridge area... But is appears they are coming back to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon