Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:31 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,251 times

Advertisements

Look, people in suburban areas know their neighborhood. Hood types go by sides of town because that is what is known by them. I don't hang around ignorant ghetto fools so I don't understand the whole south macon, west macon bizarre nonsense. The nicer in town neighborhoods like intown, ingleside, and such can also identify their neighborhoods. I think the missing part is that silly fools who care more about baby daddies and gang affiliation don't care to refer to areas by their proper names. That is to be expected. They rarely live in any one place long enough to care, or get married, or be involved positively at all with more than a Tupac song. My two cents on this dysfunctional thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 07:03 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,386 times
I usually agree with midgeorgiaman, but I have to disagree on this one.

Most people, regardless of their background, acknowledge what side of town they're from AND their neighborhood (i.e. "hood" people from West Macon commonly acknowledge their neighborhoods like Bloomfield, Unionville, etc. and many people in areas like North Macon have no problem telling people they are simply from, "North Macon") but many times they arent that knowledgeable of neighborhood names on a different side of town other than their own side, unless it's a big well known neighborhood, and they make vague generalizations about whatever side it may be.

Example? It doesnt matter if it's someone in a public housing unit in West Macon or subdivision in North Macon, most people know of and have vaguely said "East Macon" but they dont know about the individual different neighborhoods out here and usually paint it all under a broad stroke, associating it with the ghetto "Fort Hill."

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 01-12-2016 at 08:15 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 07:29 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I'm actually more shocked (since I know a few of you are AA's) you guys left out my area which has a particularly unique history in East Macon, Shurlington.

The back part of Shurlington contains its own little neighborhood called Belvedere Manor which was "the" place to be for well-to-do African Americans in the city decades ago. It extends across into Jones County, adjacent to other neighborhoods such as Clifton Ridge and also Lake Arrowhead.

Belvedere Manor is still a quiet, safe, nearly all black neighborhood with most residents being older in age, though some younger such as myself. As a whole, I wouldnt describe Shurlington as bad at all, but there are a few "shady" areas further down Shurling Dr. near Shurlington Plaza.

Because we're not in North Macon, South Bibb, and have a certain demographic, we often get overlooked. AA's from the likes of Otis Redding's Daughter (Karla), William Hutchings (who the Career Center was named after, sons became Doctors too), Dr. Jolley (former President of Morris Brown) have all lived out here at one point.

Clifton Ridge

Belvedere Manor

BTW, there is no neighborhood really called "East Macon" it's only the side of town with many different neighborhoods, several of which are nothing alike.

Shirley Hills (behind Kroger; mostly white middle class)

Shurlington
Part Near Shurlington Plaza - mixture of some slightly ghetto to more lower middle/middle class....depending on the street
Belvedere Manor - middle class AA area
Cifton Ridge - mostly middle Class AA
Lake Arrowhead - mostly middle class AA

Jeffersonville Rd.
Ghetto on some parts, then becomes quiet rural neighborhoods

Thornton Heights, Kings Park, Kingsview Village, etc.
I agree that Belvedere Manor has aged relatively well with time. I remember when my aunt and uncle bought their house out there in 1967!!!!

Old 01-13-2016, 08:38 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I usually agree with midgeorgiaman, but I have to disagree on this one.

Most people, regardless of their background, acknowledge what side of town they're from AND their neighborhood (i.e. "hood" people from West Macon commonly acknowledge their neighborhoods like Bloomfield, Unionville, etc. and many people in areas like North Macon have no problem telling people they are simply from, "North Macon") but many times they arent that knowledgeable of neighborhood names on a different side of town other than their own side, unless it's a big well known neighborhood, and they make vague generalizations about whatever side it may be.

Example? It doesnt matter if it's someone in a public housing unit in West Macon or subdivision in North Macon, most people know of and have vaguely said "East Macon" but they dont know about the individual different neighborhoods out here and usually paint it all under a broad stroke, associating it with the ghetto "Fort Hill."
Fair enough. Valid points. Especially the north Macon thing. That is kind of annoying to me. I mean it is still Macon...prefacing it with north doesn't make it different.

I was in a mood with my last post having just scrubbed sharpie made graffiti that said "southside" off of a wall that day that took over an hour... In reading my previous post, I was obviously in a bad mood. I retract.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:56 PM

117 posts, read 182,788 times
Default Big City Macon

I wonder if Macon is a big city with plenty of jobs? I've only visited once over 20 yrs ago.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:45 PM

909 posts, read 544,701 times
Before the Macon - Bibb consolidation in 2014 people had always felt that the whole Bibb County was considered Macon. Now that it is, we can come to friction with alot of things and put that anguish to the side. If we ever want to move forward as a community to building better ties and developing a better future. First of all we need to know our neighborhoods. Since the consolidation Macon has become a medium - sized city with a population of over 155,000 people. Any city that has a population of over a 100,000 in it is considered a medium size city. For the record, 50,000 citizens to under an hundred thousand is a small city. A big city is anything over 250,000 people. In land mass of square area Macon is 250 square miles. That's bigger than Chicago which is 228 square miles. Atlanta is 133 square miles in square miles of land miles. Back in the day when Macon built its high schools the name of them would always be in a direction like Southeast, Southwest, Central, and Northeast. Then they built Westside High School in 1997. The reason that I am bringing this up because even though we call a certain area East Macon, there's really not much of it. East of downtown central business district is nothing but marshy, swamp land. Really in reality there is not an Eastside/East Macon, though we tend to call it that, but what we should be calling that area is Northeast Macon. I know that it is some whom may want to dispute me on this, but it's just my theory in which I consider fact. Though I am level headed and can deal with the way that I am going in on this post and stick with what the city say of it really being a East Macon. If that is what ya'll want to hear. Let me be clear though. Everything Vineville Avenue north is considered North Macon. Everything Eisenhower Parkway south is considered South Macon. Let me start off first with the westside. These are some of the names of neighborhoods from the area of West Macon: Villacrest, Payne, Briarwood Hills, Westminster, Westview, West Oak, Bellevue, Unionville, Bartlett Crossing, Kitchen Pride, Cherokee Heights, Greenbriar, and Booger Bear Bottom. These are some of the names of neighborhoods from the area of South Macon: Arlington Park, Westgate Estates, Westfield, Sofkee Estates, Aultman Pines, Rutland, Walden, Angles Acres, Bloomfield, Village Green, Lizella, and Lynmore Estates. These are some of the names of neighborhoods from the area of North Macon: Winship Heights, Vineville, Wimbledon Woods, Whitehouse Plantation, Wesleyan Hills, Arkwright, Wheeler Heights, Whispering Pines, Wimbish Wood, Wesleyan Woods, Wesleyan, Woodcrest, Summerfield, Stintsonville, Ingleside, Pleasant Hill, and Wimbish Hills. These are some of the names of neighborhoods from the area of East Macon: Smithsonia, Tybee, King Park, Shirley Hills, Franklinton, Groveland, North Highland, and Fort Hill. Last, but not least these are some of the names of neighborhoods from the area of Central Macon: Tindall Heights( I know that most people's from here do not think that this is a neighborhood, but it is not just an apartment complex it is and historic neighborhood that also consist of this apartment complex also, one mile southwest of central business district within Oglethrope, Broadway, Eisenhower Parkway, Felton, and Nussbaum Streets), Beall Hills, Huguenin Heights, and Tatnall Square Heights.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post
Before the Macon - Bibb consolidation in 2014 people had always felt that the whole Bibb County was considered Macon. Now that it is, we can come to friction with alot of things and put that anguish to the side. If we ever want to move forward as a community to building better ties and developing a better future. First of all we need to know our neighborhoods. Since the consolidation Macon has become a medium - sized city with a population of over 155,000 people. Any city that has a population of over a 100,000 in it is considered a medium size city. For the record, 50,000 citizens to under an hundred thousand is a small city. A big city is anything over 250,000 people. In land mass of square area Macon is 250 square miles. That's bigger than Chicago which is 228 square miles. Atlanta is 133 square miles in square miles of land area. Back in the day when Macon built its high schools the name of them would always be in a direction like Southeast, Southwest, Central, and Northeast. Then they built Westside High School in 1997. The reason that I am bringing this up because even though we call a certain area East Macon, there's really not much of it. East of downtown central business district is nothing but marshy, swamp land. Really in reality there is not an Eastside/East Macon, though we tend to call it that, but what we should be calling that area is Northeast Macon. I know that it is some whom may want to dispute me on this, but it's just my theory in which I consider fact. Though I am level headed and can deal with the way that I am going in on this post and stick with what the city says of it really being a East Macon. If that is what ya'll want to hear. Let me be clear though. Everything Vineville Avenue north is considered North Macon. Everything Eisenhower Parkway south is considered South Macon. Let me start off first with the westside. These are some of the names of neighborhoods from the area of West Macon: Villacrest, Payne, Briarwood Hills, Westminster, Westview, West Oak, Bellevue, Unionville, Bartlett Crossing, Kitchen Pride, Cherokee Heights, Greenbriar, and Booger Bear Bottom. These are some of the names of neighborhoods from the area of South Macon: Arlington Park, Westgate Estates, Westfield, Sofkee Estates, Aultman Pines, Rutland, Walden, Angles Acres, Bloomfield, Village Green, Lizella, and Lynmore Estates. These are some of the names of neighborhoods from the area of North Macon: Winship Heights, Vineville, Wimbledon Woods, Whitehouse Plantation, Wesleyan Hills, Arkwright, Wheeler Heights, Whispering Pines, Wimbish Wood, Wesleyan Woods, Wesleyan, Woodcrest, Summerfield, Stintsonville, Ingleside, Pleasant Hill, and Wimbish Hills. These are some of the names of neighborhoods from the area of East Macon: Smithsonia, Tybee, King Park, Shirley Hills, Franklinton, Groveland, North Highland, and Fort Hill. Last, but not least these are some of the names of neighborhoods from the area of Central Macon: Tindall Heights( I know that most people's from here do not think that this is a neighborhood, but it is not just an apartment complex it is and historic neighborhood that also consist of this apartment complex also, located one mile southwest of central business district within Oglethrope, Broadway, Eisenhower Parkway, Felton, and Nussbaum Streets), Beall Hills, Huguenin Heights, and Tatnall Square Heights.
My corrections. Wheeler Heights is located in East Macon, and Arlington Park is a neighborhood in West Macon. In addition to the names of neighborhoods that I have already named these are some more. Starting with West Macon: Cherokee, Camelot, King Cove, Trails End, Meadowbrook, Green Lawn Acres, Lumberhill, Clarkview, Brookwood, Azalea Park, Log Cabin Heights, Hillcrest Heights, Hillview, Crestwell Heights, Anthony Terrance, Green Meadow, Bon Ayer, Lakewood, and Brookhaven. These are some of the names of neighborhoods from an area called South Macon: Glenhaven, Crestfield, Terra Cotta, Stratton, Waverly Place, Tharpe Heights, Jefferson Hills, Lindsey Park, Silver Pines, Groveland Park, Meadows, Vinson Village, Storeyland, Bloomfield Estates, Blairwood, Bloomfield Park, Bloomfield Heights, Jarrel Heights, Bloomfield Gardens, Bloomfield Farms, Christian Rest, South Highlands, Bedingfield, Vonreg Subdivision, Fairystone, Bevinwood, Goodall Estates, Sardis Estates, Mill Creek Run Apartments, and Jones Road Subdivision. These are some of the names of neighborhoods from an area called North Macon: Castlegate, Wesleyan Estates, Glenwood Forest, Lorane, Sherwood Forest, Stratford Oaks, Country Club Estates, Idle Hour Estates, Forest Lake, Lokchapee, McKibben Lane, Glencove, Thornwood, Northwoods, Riverview, Pine Forest, Riverside Park, Riverside Hills, Brookwood Hills, Dixie, Tara, Lakeview, Rivoli Plantation, Woodcrest, Billingwood, Idlewood, and Jackson Heights. Last but not least here are some of the names of neighborhoods from an area called East Macon: Highland Circle, North Forest Hills, Heritage Acres, Highland Hills, Wood Valley, Shirlington, Duresville, Bristol Forest, Lakeside Hill, Morningside, Lakeside, Mogul, Tanglewood, Crystal Springs, Bridgeman, Lanier Heights, Sunnydale Acres, King View, Joycliff Estates, Bowden Hills, Weaver Heights, Belvedere Manor, and Lake Arrowhead. All in all with the two last post combined I have named over one hundred fifty neighborhoods in Macon. I know that there are plenty more so if you come across some that I haven't feel free to post them.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:33 AM

12 posts, read 17,971 times
Booger Bear Bottom??? Where is that and how did it get the name?

Old 02-19-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username5000 View Post
Booger Bear Bottom??? Where is that and how did it get the name?
Booger Bear Bottom is off of Mercer University between Key Street and Lilly Avenue. I don't know actually how it got it's name sake. It is adjacent to the Unionville community/neighborhood.

Last edited by the tiger; 02-19-2016 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,842 times
to tiger Back in the day Macon high schools had name like MILLER , BALLARD-HUDSON, ETC. check the history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon