Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 01:43 PM

761 posts, read 907,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL410 View Post
Hi,

My family (wife, two small kids) and I will be moving to Georgia in September. We are moving from California.

We are looking for a place either in Macon, GA or south of Atlanta (halfway between Macon and Atlanta).

We are looking to rent for a year or so until we get our bearings.

I am looking for a nice, quiet, safe suburb/city with good elementary schools.

Thanks for your help.

Macon is about 1.5 hours from the airport. Definitely look at Peachtree City. Peachtree City is an upper middle class suburb south of Atlanta with an average family income over 100K. The current average home price in PTC is about 450k-500K, which is a lot for Atlanta, but probably pretty reasonable coming from California. All elementary schools in PTC are rated in the top 10% of the state and both high schools and middle schools are ranked in the top 5%. It's also about 20-30 minutes to the airport. That is why around 3,000 Delta Pilots live in Peachtree City. It also has 100 miles of multi-use cart paths. Golf carts are a main mode of transportation here. You can drive them everywhere and kids even drive them to the local high school. There are also many transplants here, and even many people from California. There aren't many transplants in Macon.

48. Peachtree City, GA | TIME

Peachtree City, Georgia Convention & Visitor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 09:22 AM

5 posts, read 16,075 times
Thank you all for your replies.

We got back from our trip to Georgia. We really enjoyed Peachtree City.

We liked the area so much that we decided that instead of renting for a year we plan on purchasing. We can see ourselves living there for quite some time.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:36 AM

761 posts, read 907,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL410 View Post
Thank you all for your replies.

We got back from our trip to Georgia. We really enjoyed Peachtree City.

We liked the area so much that we decided that instead of renting for a year we plan on purchasing. We can see ourselves living there for quite some time.
Welcome to the "Bubble"! Your family will love Peachtree City.

Old 12-25-2021, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,470 times
Welcome to Georgia!

Make sure to vote Red.

Old 12-27-2021, 01:09 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierC View Post
Welcome to Georgia!

Make sure to vote Red.
4.5 years later.... And anonymous posters telling people how to vote really makes a difference. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:58 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
It’s good that the OP appeared to settle on living in Peachtree City.

Macon, while continuing to make incremental improvements in its quality-of-life, very likely would have been a poor choice as a place to live in for commuting to and from a job at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

That’s because Interstate 75 south of Atlanta (including between Macon and Atlanta) can be prone to experience extremely heavy traffic delays because of the road’s often extremely use as both a massive route for getaway, vacation and tourism traffic traveling between the Great Lakes and Florida, and as a major route for freight truck shipping between the Great Lakes and the Southeast.

Living in Macon and commuting to a job at the Atlanta Airport on an extremely busy and delay-prone transcontinental superhighway like I-75 would be the Georgia equivalent of attempting to commute to a job at LAX (Los Angeles International Airport) from such far-flung exurbs as Palmdale, Lancaster, Oceanside, etc., on an extremely busy and delay-prone transcontinental superhighway like I-5 in Southern California.

South-southwest Atlanta suburbs like Tyrone, Peachtree City, Newnan and Fayetteville along with maybe some West metro Atlanta suburbs like Douglasville, Smyrna, etc., seem to be much better options for frequent commuting to and from the Atlanta Airport than a Middle Georgia location than Macon.

Old 12-30-2021, 06:51 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
It’s good that the OP appeared to settle on living in Peachtree City.

Macon, while continuing to make incremental improvements in its quality-of-life, very likely would have been a poor choice as a place to live in for commuting to and from a job at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

That’s because Interstate 75 south of Atlanta (including between Macon and Atlanta) can be prone to experience extremely heavy traffic delays because of the road’s often extremely use as both a massive route for getaway, vacation and tourism traffic traveling between the Great Lakes and Florida, and as a major route for freight truck shipping between the Great Lakes and the Southeast.

Living in Macon and commuting to a job at the Atlanta Airport on an extremely busy and delay-prone transcontinental superhighway like I-75 would be the Georgia equivalent of attempting to commute to a job at LAX (Los Angeles International Airport) from such far-flung exurbs as Palmdale, Lancaster, Oceanside, etc., on an extremely busy and delay-prone transcontinental superhighway like I-5 in Southern California.

South-southwest Atlanta suburbs like Tyrone, Peachtree City, Newnan and Fayetteville along with maybe some West metro Atlanta suburbs like Douglasville, Smyrna, etc., seem to be much better options for frequent commuting to and from the Atlanta Airport than a Middle Georgia location than Macon.
I concur. It used to be I would only hit traffic going into Atlanta from Macon from 7 to 9am or on Friday afternoon. Now it doesn't matter. Henry County is going to be gridlock at least 50% of the time and I haven't been to the airport in a long time where I didn't get hung up in traffic. There is no way I would try to make that commute more than once or twice a week. It is brutal. Plus with construction of the new truck lanes about to commence, it will only get worse.

Old 12-30-2021, 08:22 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,401,673 times
It's too far south on I75. Better choices are Marietta, Roswell, Alpharetta and best of all is Peachtree City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon