U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 7,224 times

Advertisements

I will be moving from Milwaukee, WI. I am black women in my mid-twenties with degrees in criminal justice and anthropology. I have experience with non-profit organizations, courts, and can easily transition into the private sector with things related to investigations. As far as activities, how is the night life in the area? Nightlife not being strictly clubs (I never frequent them), but as far as lounges, bars, or restaurants with music or any general entertainment to be entertained by.

Also, the neighborhoods. How is the city divided, and what is the crime trend of those areas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 11:43 AM

2,344 posts, read 2,099,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KekaRoo View Post
I will be moving from Milwaukee, WI. I am black women in my mid-twenties with degrees in criminal justice and anthropology. I have experience with non-profit organizations, courts, and can easily transition into the private sector with things related to investigations. As far as activities, how is the night life in the area? Nightlife not being strictly clubs (I never frequent them), but as far as lounges, bars, or restaurants with music or any general entertainment to be entertained by.

Also, the neighborhoods. How is the city divided, and what is the crime trend of those areas?

I don't live in the area so I cant be too sure or know what the Nightlife is like in the area but it seems Downtown would be the area now a days where you would find most of the lounges or bars. If none in the area fit your style or your looking for something more, Atlanta is only about 82 miles, within an hour drive without Traffic and your sure to find plenty. Macon is a city of around 150,000 and the Macon/Warner Robins Metro/CSA around 420,000. As far as Neighborhoods, the south side of Town seems to be the worst and I would avoid! Crime is pretty high and its a very run down area. The best parts of town would be DT now, which has been doing a lot of gentrifying lately I have notices with plenty of New Loft Apartments going up. Also with in Bibb county North Macon, South Bibb and NW Bibb counties are very nice suburban districts if that's the feels your looking for. Just south of the city in Houston County, Warner Robins with a population of about 75,000 is another busy suburban district. It has the typical suburban strip feel if that's what your looking for.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:42 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,008,871 times
Crime is very high in Macon. Less so in North Macon or Warner Robins, but you may not want to do the drive. Mercer Univ area is high crime as is the area closer to downtown.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:23 PM

143 posts, read 123,330 times
North Macon or downtown is where you’d want to be. South and East Macon has gone down hill and is where the crime occurs.
North Macon is great. Downtown actually isn’t dangerous. It’s one of the fastest growing areas of Macon. There are LOTS of newly developed Lofts that you would love. More of an urban feel and walkable. Lots of good restaurants and where the night life occurs. Downtown has a few organizations that strive to create a sense of community and organizing events regularly. Currently there is a new bar and a nice club/lounge close to opening, a houka lounge, jazz spot which I’ve never visited. Downtown is where you’d want to be in my opinion. Several downtown restaurants have live musicians all the time. Downtown has several venues that host concerts all the time.
Downtown still has several big developments starting very soon as the growth isn’t complete.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:49 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maconfinance View Post
create a sense of community and organizing events regularly. Currently there is a new bar and a nice club/lounge close to opening, a houka lounge, jazz spot which I’ve never visited. Downtown is where you’d want to be in my opinion. Several downtown restaurants have live musicians all the time. Downtown has several venues that host concerts all the time.

That's only since Wes and Brad bought the radio station. The Creek FM Two years prior, downtown was dead meat. Now there are venues they didn't have before.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:49 PM

143 posts, read 123,330 times
One more fun night life addition is the dueling piano bar Macon Smiles that is soon to open

Old 06-13-2018, 03:36 AM

1,982 posts, read 4,702,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maconfinance View Post
South and East Macon has gone down hill and is where the crime occurs.
Downtown actually isn’t dangerous.
That's not entirely true.

East Macon gets a bad rap because retail is severely lacking and the worst (and largest) neighborhood, Fort Hill, is what you visibly see along the busiest parts of the main East Macon roadways (near the Shurling Dr/Gray Hwy intersection, Emery Hwy near the Coliseum Hospital) but most of East Macon isnt like that. There's plenty of decent neighborhoods behind Kroger, Upper River Rd, further down Shurling Dr near the Bibb-Jones border. The Eastside is the least populated side of town too, and out by Geico is basically rural and quiet. Not very crime infested out that way. You didnt mention West Macon at all and areas near the mall off Mercer Univ Dr, Pio Nono, and Eisenhower (like Bloomfield) are far worse than anywhere in East Macon. That's where most of the crime occurs, along with the "Southside" (just south of Downtown, further down 2nd St, MLK/Broadway, Houston Ave, etc)

I'm even careful about labeling the Southside and Westside to unfamiliar people now, because even though areas many locals generally think of as "Southside" and "Westside" can be VERY bad, Rutland/Hartley Bridge area technically is "South Macon" and Thomaston Road and some other areas headed toward Lizella and Crawford County are "West Macon" too and there are some decent places to live there too.

Downtown is definitely on the up-tick, and walking along places like Cherry St where most of the activity is, it definitely is safe, but JUST south of downtown is THE worst part of Macon and that element can rear it's head sometimes, so you still have to be very cautious downtown. For an example. near the intersection of 2nd St and Cherry, it's safe. Keep riding down 2nd St. and it starts resembling a rust belt ghetto.

North Macon, of course, is mostly suburban in nature and generally very safe. This is the detailed story on the crime breakdown in Macon @KekaRoo

Old 06-13-2018, 04:02 AM

As for the nightlife (I'm not trying to offend anyone with what I say below, just painting as real of a picture as I can)

BJ Billiards has pool tables and a bar. It's a diverse, mixed crowd

Hummingbird is a bar with a mix crowd, mostly white though.

Parrish is a restaurant with a bar, mix crowd, mostly white.

Thirsty Turtle is a dance club that has 2 bars. The back part is more of a bar. It's a mix crowd, but depending on the day, the crowed coud range from being 80% black one day to 80% white on the next.

Hookah Bar, mixed crowd

Reboot is an arcade bar, mix crowd, mostly white.

Crazy Bull, I've actually never been in there, but it seems to always have a decent line or crowd outside it. It appears to be a mostly white crowd but I see some black people going in there, increasing amounts of black people as time goes on, I have no idea what kind of music they play, I need to check it out. I'd bet it' probably a top 40 playlist of all genres

Primetime41. Hood, Ghetto Crowd. Kinda young. Not for me.

Recess is more of 25 or 30 and up-ish mostly black club with a bar and lounge area. It's kinda small and can get crowded late, but if you go between like 10-1, it's usually not many people in there at all and is an OK spot to meet up with a friend for a drink. I wouldnt call it "Hood" but a few 30+ year old men who still live in their teenage days may show up, but this is after 2 or so when it gets packed.

Overtyme is more of the "bar and grill" sports bar 30, 40+ black crowd. It's pretty chill.

Warner Robins' been having a few spots come up lately.

The Chocolate Room appears to be a mostly 30+ black crowd that offers hookah and it's a pretty chill crowd
Blitz Sports Bar seems 25, or 30 and up too, mostly black, Similar age group as the Chocolate Room and Overtyme, but did seem to have a slightly "hood" edge to it, but not much

Also, the "Family Fun Centers/Entertainment Parks" like Pin Stripes in North Macon has a bar and restaurant area in the back with pool tables. Lots of the adults go hang out there. I havent been to Rigby's in Warner Robins but I imagine it's the same.

There's a few more places too that I either cant think of, dont know much about, or dont want to mention.

i.e. there are other spots, mostly in West Macon like Sparks and Club Rodeo but they are far too ghetto and trashy.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 06-13-2018 at 04:17 AM..

Old 06-15-2018, 02:29 PM

12 posts, read 14,756 times
Omg I had to reset my password just to log in and tell you the truth!!! If you are an educated black person you'll hate it here! Macon doesn't have a black middle class/educated culture at all!! Well maybe a few people, but they don't make the majority and you'll stuck out like a sore thumb. For the most part Macon is trashy.

Stay away from anything on the Southside or the Westside. Meaning no Eisenhower, Mercer University, Houston Ave.. None of that. If you stay North, East (that's kinda iffy) and parts of downtown that's your best bet. You don't want to live off shirling Dr either which is considered the East

Are you married or single? If you're single your only hope to find a decent black man would be to see if you can find someone on Robbins afb

If you have children please put your child in private school so they can avoid the gang low life ratchet culture. I just have to be honest because I would hate for you to come all the way to Macon and be disappointed.

The clubs that southern soul bro listed are pretty accurate. If the clubs are not on that list, you may want to proceed with caution. Not sure if mystique is still open, it was kinda hoping at times but you could get decent drinks there

Central Georgia in general is pretty dismal for educated blacks. You may want to direct your sights closer to Atlanta. Just being honest!

Old 06-17-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username5000 View Post
Omg I had to reset my password just to log in and tell you the truth!!! If you are an educated black person you'll hate it here! Macon doesn't have a black middle class/educated culture at all!! Well maybe a few people, but they don't make the majority and you'll stuck out like a sore thumb. For the most part Macon is trashy.

Stay away from anything on the Southside or the Westside. Meaning no Eisenhower, Mercer University, Houston Ave.. None of that. If you stay North, East (that's kinda iffy) and parts of downtown that's your best bet. You don't want to live off shirling Dr either which is considered the East

Are you married or single? If you're single your only hope to find a decent black man would be to see if you can find someone on Robbins afb

If you have children please put your child in private school so they can avoid the gang low life ratchet culture. I just have to be honest because I would hate for you to come all the way to Macon and be disappointed.

The clubs that southern soul bro listed are pretty accurate. If the clubs are not on that list, you may want to proceed with caution. Not sure if mystique is still open, it was kinda hoping at times but you could get decent drinks there

Central Georgia in general is pretty dismal for educated blacks. You may want to direct your sights closer to Atlanta. Just being honest!
This is 95% accurate, but if you travel all the way down Shurling Dr (past Mystique), there are "old money" (relatively speaking) black neighborhoods right at the Bibb County and Jones County line, on both sides. They are mostly older, retired black people who had professional jobs though. This majority black neighborhood is off Shurling and partially in Jones County, and nothing like some of the other neighborhoods on Shurling headed toward Gray Hwy

I have been very, VERY critical of Macon and similarly size southern cities for the lack of options for a middle class black crowd (Let me just say "non-ghetto" crowd, because there is a good bit of working class black people who arent down with that ghetto environment either) and I'm somewhat starting to believe that it CAN be OK middle class black person if you move right. If you choose to hang out at Overtyme, Chocolate room, some of those new bars, pubs and eateries downtown, it can at least me tolerable. Now, if you plan on being aroun a LARGE middle class area, then no, this isn't where it's at, because even with that neighborhood I posted above, it's not too far from the "hood" and if you have to go to the nearest stores further than Shurling, they are pretty ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon