Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 10:26 PM

148 posts, read 149,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Sounds like overbuilding--especially since most all north-south road traffic to and from Florida completely bypasses Macon on I-75.

Any hotel building really should be out on I-75 exits.
There already are lots of hotels off I 75. There was a recent hotel economic
Study conducted for Macon and it came back that Macon would benefit from 500 hotel rooms in the urban core over the next 3-7 years.
Another direct area that needs servicing for hotel rooms downtown is Navicent Health and possibly Coliseum Health Systems ( our downtown hospitals). As Macon continues to develop downtown there will be more tourists visiting Macon and enjoying downtown if that’s where they are staying the night.
It will put more feet downtown and help downtown Macon take the next step towards a vibrant downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 08:26 PM

841 posts, read 1,401,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriouserGeorge View Post
I can think of at least two things that Macon doesn't have that Columbus and Augusta do! The first is Alabama for Columbus, and the second is South Carolina for Augusta! Crossing the river from either of those two cities and there are modestly successful cities and areas in their own rights, both of which add to the local Augusta/Columbus economies, but without the cost of maintenance or government.

Travel across the Ocmulgee from downtown Macon, and what do you have: east Macon! All things being equal, I'd choose living on the state lines, instead of in the center of the state.

Also, Columbus benefits from proximity to Fort Benning, and Augusta benefits from being near Fort Gordon, because both bases are synonymous with their respective cities and are in the same counties. Macon totally loses out by having Robins AFB nearby because that base is tied to a separate city and county. People stationed and working at Robins naturally are more likely to live and recreate there. Too bad, really, because Warner Robins is basically a soulless town with no real history or architecture to identify with. This was the case certainly when I was living and growing up there in the 50's and early 60's, and I'd wager it's still the case today (albeit I'll allow that it's a safer city and better managed government than Macon).
That maybe true in one sense and very subjective, however Macon's centralize location and Infrastructure puts it at somewhat of advantage to attract industry and it most definitely shows, In the past couple of years, Macon had over billion dollars of Private investment of new industries. Kumho Tire opened
a $450 million manufacturing plant in Macon. Irving Consumer Products invested $400 million private investment for new manufacturing plant in Macon and over 200 new jobs and has begin work on a second phase of the project worth another $400 million, Irving along is has made $800 millions in private investment in Macon. Amazon's private investment of $90 million for a 1 million sq ft Distribution Center and over 500 new jobs and the Tyson Foods expansion private investment of $60 million 102 new jobs. Graphic Packaging International invested $136 million dollars in the modernization of its paperboard mill in Macon to helps retain more than 460 manufacturing jobs. Dean Baldwin Painting, a private company providing full strip and paint services for military and commercial aircraft, will invest $21 million to build a new, four bay service hangar at the Middle Georgia Regional Airport, creating 115 new jobs. Embraer -- the world’s 3rd largest aircraft manufacturer located a maintenance, repair, and overhaul operation in Macon at the Middle Georgia Regional Airport and created 100 new jobs. Macon is doing well!! Also they just elected a new Mayor who also has some really good plans for city. The Macon Bibb Industry authority announced in one of their meetings that they are getting a lot contact from new industries looking at Macon even during Covid for operations. And let's not talk about Downtown's growth.

Macon and Warner Robins both benefit from Robins AFB as include people tied to base lives in either city. Also a lot of people who are moving to area for base related jobs or missions, Studies show they are now moving to DT Macon for lofts and Urban Living Environment.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:31 PM

158 posts, read 72,545 times
Quote:
I think you're making the wrong argument here. The reasons many people will move to or visit an area have very little to do with the heights of the buildings. Instead, they have more to do with quality of life issues like opportunities, safety, employment, education, health care, history, culture, community spirit, etc.

Furthermore, I'd suggest that the most interesting buildings in either Macon, Columbus, or Augusta (or Savannah for that matter), are the historic churches and the older 2-3 story buildings. There may be some bragging rights to having the structure with the most floors, but I'd hardly be inclined to depart the interstate just to see it

I agree and disagree. The skyline is sort of like the icing on a cake. A skyline may be a want and not necessarily a need but it affects many things. A lot of tourism comes from just plain ol visuals rather than the actual experience. Now I do agree, Augusta and Columbus may have a better quality of life but in my opinion Macon has more potential for future growth out of the three.

Macon reminds me of Atlanta before Atlanta became Atlanta. At one point Atlanta's entire city was dangerous besides North Atlanta but now it has become a center for entertainment, business, and diversity. I don't think Macon can ever reach the status of Atlanta but I do believe that it will eventually surge past Columbus and Augusta depending on the moves we continue to make.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I think you're making the wrong argument here. The reasons many people will move to or visit an area have very little to do with the heights of the buildings. Instead, they have more to do with quality of life issues like opportunities, safety, employment, education, health care, history, culture, community spirit, etc.

Furthermore, I'd suggest that the most interesting buildings in either Macon, Columbus, or Augusta (or Savannah for that matter), are the historic churches and the older 2-3 story buildings. There may be some bragging rights to having the structure with the most floors, but I'd hardly be inclined to depart the interstate just to see it

I'm sorry you misunderstood my posts, Correction none of my posts made any reference or argument of what actually draws people to Macon or any city for tourism. My posts were simply out lining tourism itself and how the city of Macon has benefited from the increase of people visiting the city whether it was from tourism or the film industry and some of projects that are being developed in the downtown urban core area. I even created this sub forum about the hotel boom in Downtown Macon. Also what draws a person to tour or visit a city can be for anything, for me personally i'm not big on the historic buildings, I'm more fascinated by skylines and how diversified they are between cities. For example a lot of people love the Charleston, Savannah or Washington DC proper due to historic buildings and height restrictions preserving the architecture by not permitting high-rises; however those cities really don't excite me because I love to see skylines and how they differ from city to city, large or small. Everyone has varies reason to visit a city you can't really say skylines don't attract people. I do agree ppl do look at the city's quality of life issues, opportunities, safety, employment, education, health care, history, culture, community spirit, etc, However, some people who look to move or visit an urban area not small towns, usually associate skylines to city size and offerings.

Last edited by NewtownMacon; 08-26-2020 at 08:23 AM..

Old 08-26-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdagoat View Post
I agree and disagree. The skyline is sort of like the icing on a cake. A skyline may be a want and not necessarily a need but it affects many things. A lot of tourism comes from just plain ol visuals rather than the actual experience. Now I do agree, Augusta and Columbus may have a better quality of life but in my opinion Macon has more potential for future growth out of the three.

Macon reminds me of Atlanta before Atlanta became Atlanta. At one point Atlanta's entire city was dangerous besides North Atlanta but now it has become a center for entertainment, business, and diversity. I don't think Macon can ever reach the status of Atlanta but I do believe that it will eventually surge past Columbus and Augusta depending on the moves we continue to make.
I don't agree with you saying that Columbus may have a better quality of life than Macon, I don't really see any spectacular Columbus or Augusta is doing that's not offered in Macon or in the works;but that's your opinion, however i do believe that Macon is positioned better for future growth and will eventually surge past Columbus and Augusta. Macon just elected a new mayor and a few new commissioners that will be taking office in Jan. and they all really have a lot of great plans and ideas to help fuel Macon's continued growth and success. As you can see above with in the last 2 years Macon had over $billion dollars of private investment and you can google it for the facts. I'm sure it will continue and increase in the years to come. Especially with the deepening of the port of Savannah.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:57 AM

246 posts, read 498,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
That maybe true in one sense and very subjective, however Macon's centralize location and Infrastructure puts it at somewhat of advantage to attract industry and it most definitely shows, In the past couple of years, Macon had over billion dollars of Private investment of new industries. Kumho Tire opened
a $450 million manufacturing plant in Macon. Irving Consumer Products invested $400 million private investment for new manufacturing plant in Macon and over 200 new jobs and has begin work on a second phase of the project worth another $400 million, Irving along is has made $800 millions in private investment in Macon. Amazon's private investment of $90 million for a 1 million sq ft Distribution Center and over 500 new jobs and the Tyson Foods expansion private investment of $60 million 102 new jobs. Graphic Packaging International invested $136 million dollars in the modernization of its paperboard mill in Macon to helps retain more than 460 manufacturing jobs. Dean Baldwin Painting, a private company providing full strip and paint services for military and commercial aircraft, will invest $21 million to build a new, four bay service hangar at the Middle Georgia Regional Airport, creating 115 new jobs. Embraer -- the world’s 3rd largest aircraft manufacturer located a maintenance, repair, and overhaul operation in Macon at the Middle Georgia Regional Airport and created 100 new jobs. Macon is doing well!! Also they just elected a new Mayor who also has some really good plans for city. The Macon Bibb Industry authority announced in one of their meetings that they are getting a lot contact from new industries looking at Macon even during Covid for operations. And let's not talk about Downtown's growth.

Macon and Warner Robins both benefit from Robins AFB as include people tied to base lives in either city. Also a lot of people who are moving to area for base related jobs or missions, Studies show they are now moving to DT Macon for lofts and Urban Living Environment.
We seem to have two different ideas of where "Macon" is. I'm talking about downtown Macon, which for the sake of argument I'll say consists of a 2-mile radius from the post office (and roughly eastwards to Highway 41. Feel free to move it out further or bring it closer in). For the most part, you referenced areas that are 7 -10 miles from downtown, in what I would classify as rural county land. I find it difficult to think that anyone living or working that far from downtown is actually traveling to shop there, and your jobs data notwithstanding, most of those workers are more likely living and shopping in areas closer to where they live which might mean southwards towards Warner Robins, and northwards past Amerson Park. The upshot of it all is that the downtown area requires the greatest help, but benefits the least. Lastly, I'm happy to learn that personnel working/attached at Robins may be moving to downtown Macon, but I'm skeptical that they're having much of an impact there. My most recent experience has been that other than a few restaurants, there's really very little to do there.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
We seem to have two different ideas of where "Macon" is. I'm talking about downtown Macon, which for the sake of argument I'll say consists of a 2-mile radius from the post office (and roughly eastwards to Highway 41. Feel free to move it out further or bring it closer in). For the most part, you referenced areas that are 7 -10 miles from downtown, in what I would classify as rural county land. I find it difficult to think that anyone living or working that far from downtown is actually traveling to shop there, and your jobs data notwithstanding, most of those workers are more likely living and shopping in areas closer to where they live which might mean southwards towards Warner Robins, and northwards past Amerson Park. The upshot of it all is that the downtown area requires the greatest help, but benefits the least. Lastly, I'm happy to learn that personnel working/attached at Robins may be moving to downtown Macon, but I'm skeptical that they're having much of an impact there. My most recent experience has been that other than a few restaurants, there's really very little to do there.

Not sure what you mean by a 2 radius or nothing to do; but it appears you need to catch up on what’s going on in downtown Macon, There are variety of restaurants, Bars, beer Tap/breweries, also there is a escape room, Ax throwing venue, there is also the Friday Street Events, Parking garage car shows, Christmas in downtown Lights show, including the multiple concerts and entertainment events at the City auditorium and Coliseum, the Baseball Games at Luther Williams, there is a lot of different things to do in downtown Macon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dh2i3mgSgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxhDDm6GL1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8K9aDU7rBQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403TDwuXXpc&t=65s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqlESPSrxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YXbCa4KMQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMtEh0g0Moc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhCYKoXyh1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT235V6plNw

Last edited by NewtownMacon; 08-26-2020 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon