Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:05 AM

8 posts, read 30,847 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are possibly relocating to the Macon area because of his employment, and I'm a little disappointed with the comments I've read concerning Macon. Of course, I realize there are always people who will be unhappy. His company would be located on Mercer University Drive in Macon. Could someone tell me what side of town this is located? Also, what areas outside Macon would be a close drive? Any great subdivisions/areas you would recommend? Thanks for your assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 11:39 AM

23 posts, read 89,684 times
Do y'all have school age children? That will be a major deciding factor in where you need to live. Where are you relocating from, if I may ask? GA, the South.....?

Mercer is a pretty long road.... any ideas what his office is near?

Old 02-16-2007, 12:56 PM

3000 block of Mercer. Possibly relocating from Indiana. We're in our early 50's, no children, so schools are not a problem with us. We currently live in a nice, safe community just north of Indianapolis - newer, nicer homes - and would probably want something comparable. Is Centerville a suburb of Macon?

Old 02-17-2007, 08:18 AM

23 posts, read 89,684 times
Default you'll be fine....

Centerville is a kind of a suburb, but is linked w/ Warner Robins - about 30 minutes south on I-75, minimum. That would be quite a commute for him. I personally would stay in the Macon area if I were in your shoes. Yes, Macon has some definite downsides (just ask about the mayor!), but is a beautiful town, in parts. Offers more established, mature appeal than the Warner Robbins areas..... that just looked like a typical miliary base town to me. Not a bad thing, of course, just not what we needed.

If you want character, maturity & since you don't have to contend w/ the questionable local school situation, I would strongly encourage the Ingleside area in Macon. This is a beautiful, established neighborhood w/ a mixture of retirees, young couples.... you name it. During cherry blossom bloom time alone is almost worth living there - breathtaking! The proximity would be excellent for your hubby & for you - close to restaurants, shopping, etc. If you go to a mapping site like Mapquest, just look for the roads around Ingleside Av, Ridge Av, Vista Cir. etc. As w/ just about any neighborhood, you'll be able to tell by driving around where your boundaries need to be. Just watch the condition of the yards, homes, etc.

If schools weren't a concern for us, this was where we wanted to be - sure y'all would love it! Good luck!!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:29 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,162 times
Centerville is not a suburb of Macon, centerville is located in Houston County. The 3000 Block is somewhat in the heart of Macon, near the Georgia Power building. Drives to many suburban areas are maybe a 20, or 30 minute drive. Although there are communities like Ingleside and Vineville which features old homes which have been or are being revatilized. Crime is not high in these areas. Its somewhat a city within a city. Both feature many commercial business, many of the homes have historic value as well. However, if your not with the city life and wish to live in suburban areas Mercer University will take you all the way out to Lizella, or to the Westside High School area which has many suburban areas and is not to far from Macon State College. These areas are not in the city and crime rate is very low. Drives are 20 to 40minutes away, depending on traffic from the 300 block of Mercer University.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm a legal assistant and would be seeking employment with a law firm. Do you have any info as far as large litigation firms? I have worked in larger (100+ attorneys) firms as well as smaller firms (12-15 attorneys) and prefer larger, particularly a firm that specializes in litigation. Know of any firms with an excellent reputation?
A 30-minute drive for me is a piece of cake. I live 9 miles from work, and it is a 20-25 minute commute. I used to commute to downtown Indy (about 13-15 miles) and some days would spend as much as an hour in the car each way. Traffic in Indy is terrible!! Did one of you say that a commute from WR would be around 30 minutes?
With three feet of snow on the ground, we're anxious to head south!

Last edited by HoosierColts; 02-17-2007 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-17-2007, 03:52 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,162 times
There are many law firms most are adjacent to the courthouse, the Fickling & Company building is home to many law firms do to its proximity to the courthouse. The courthouse is located on 601 Mulberry Street Drive around the area and you should find many law firms.

The following website should be useful http://www.hierosgamos.org/hg/db_law...ovince=Georgia

Here is a list of Litagation offices
Reynolds, McArthur & Horne
Hall, Bloch, Garland & Meyer, LLP
Pate & Brody, LLP
James, Bates, Pope & Spivey, L.L.C.
Karen Kelly Daniels
Wm. Lee Robinson
Harris & James, LLP

Before you move you should always check the conditions of areas and dont believe everything posted here. Many things are better off seen with your own eyes, moving is very exspensive and should be look into backwards and forwards.

Last edited by MayorOfMacon2019; 02-17-2007 at 04:01 PM..

Old 02-21-2007, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 48,629 times
I was born and raised in Macon and now live in Byron which is about 25 miles south of Macon just before you get to Warner Robins. You couldn't pay me to live for free in a $20 million dollar mansion in the City of Macon. Check out Zebulon area or Weslyn area. Stay clear of living in the city limits your safety is worth the commute. If quiet country life is what you're looking for check out Byron or Gray. Only problem with Gray is if you're really looking to eat out or do any major shopping you'd probably wind up on Gray Highway and it is too nasty and the service in that area is low quality. Also the traffic on Gray Highway is always heavy. Living in Byron you have the choice of shopping and eating out in Warner Robins which has certainly took care of our needs for the past 20 years. I never go to Macon anymore.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:23 PM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,716 times
AMEN Tragan.....LOL...Here comes Mayorofmacon to defend Macon though....Go ahead buddy....try to paint a prettier picture...LOL

Old 02-21-2007, 03:56 PM

5 posts, read 48,629 times
I'm glad I gave you a laugh gp2 but that is just my opinion that's all. There are a few that are left in Macon because they want to be there and an enormously large number that are left there because they can't afford to leave. Take care all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon