Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:17 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Read where Macon is looking at Columbus as a model when it comes to urban development....interesting stuff.
Although we have been down this road before (perhaps not you specifically... but you know what I mean) I will add this. I like what I see in downtown (oops, that's "uptown" ) Columbus. They have done well with their urban renewal projects. There is plenty of work still left to do, but they are moving in the right direction. I do not see that in Macon. I see, for the most part, a flight from downtown. Moving north.
Even going back to the early stages of developing the downtown Columbus area there seemed to be some forward thinking going on. Wide streets and sidewalks, block sizes seem larger than most down towns, ect.. They seemed to have a decent plan from the get go. It ain't perfect, but its not so bad. I think it is too late for Macon to 'learn' anything from Columbus' progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Dawg, are you oblivious? How's that working for you?
gaflsc,

I am beyond oblivious. Stuposedly and relegedly I am way beyond that.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:35 AM

841 posts, read 1,402,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
NewtownMacon,

You are the King/Queen of debate.
Good, I'm glad you know that

Old 03-06-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Read where Macon is looking at Columbus as a model when it comes to urban development....interesting stuff.
Correction, In an effort to revitalize downtown, Macon is in the process of becoming an Urban Main Street city. It would join Columbus, currently the only city in Georgia with that designation. They Are only using columbus to see if this would be something to help aid Macon in it's Downtown revitalization efforts, not because Columbus is more urban than Macon.....Don't get it twisted....

Old 03-06-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Columbus is a hole too. Macon needs to look elsewhere.
Macon wants to become a designation known under the Urban Main street City, and they are just visiting Columbus to see what kind of effects becoming a Urban Main street city may contribute to the existing revitalization efforts in DT Macon. It not because Columbus is doing something so spectacular, nor is it because Columbus is more urban than Macon.

to be honest I feel that Macon should visit more propersous cities in the future like Greenville, Richmond, Rochester, Tallahassee and Mobile.... They have done wonders with their DT areas and gain much more successful development DT than Columbus of all places. Thats just like having the blind leading the blind.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
There is plenty of work still left to do, but they are moving in the right direction. I do not see that in Macon.

I think it is too late for Macon to 'learn' anything from Columbus' progress.

Other than side walks and streets capes can you tell me what major developments and projects have Columbus done DT that no other city even Macon have not already completed. I can list several projects in DT Macon can you do the same for Columbus.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post

to be honest I feel that Macon should visit more propersous cities in the future
Boy, that's a tough one. More propersous? Did you mean prosperous? Just about every city in the country fits that bill. Those folks from Macon doing all these studies are gonna be busy. With a median household income of more than $20,000 less than the state average, perhaps they need not travel far, huh? Like... pretty much... uh... anywhere else. Valdosta? Way higher. Americus? Way higher income. I mean even Dublin and Vidalia beat out Macon as far as... uh, what's that word... propersous.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Boy, that's a tough one. More propersous? Did you mean prosperous? Just about every city in the country fits that bill. Those folks from Macon doing all these studies are gonna be busy. With a median household income of more than $20,000 less than the state average, perhaps they need not travel far, huh? Like... pretty much... uh... anywhere else. Valdosta? Way higher. Americus? Way higher income. I mean even Dublin and Vidalia beat out Macon as far as... uh, what's that word... propersous.
Really, thats good to know,lol Thanks for providing the information

Old 03-07-2009, 05:05 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
People like bulldawgfan really try to stretch it too far. One of the most realistic people here was "lilmusket"

To be honest Macon does have alot of work to do, and if people find it too dangerous or ghetto for them (though we do have several very nice areas as well) I could understand your points.

What I cant understand is how some of these people say they love or can completely tolerate another place that has many of same characteristics of Macon, but yet they only list the characteristics as cons when it comes to Macon.

For an example, if someone were to make a blanket statement of "Macon is Ghetto"....I would mention to them that we do have nice parts but I could understand where they were coming from.

But if you are comparing Columbus to Macon...and you start talking about how much of a "Ghetto Dump" Macon is...lol..that would be irrelevant to your argument considering that Columbus is basically just as ghetto.

I've traveled through, been to and have family in several of these small central/south ga towns.
If someone moved from the North GA mountains to Macon, I could understand their culture shock....but GIVE ME A BREAK LOL.....if you come from Dublin, Americus, Eastman, Jeffersonville, Milledgville, Valdosta or one of MOST of these central and south ga towns......then you see "thug culture" everyday just like we do in Macon. Stop puttin on an act like you were in Mayberry all of sudden until you hit Macon.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:10 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
I mean come on, I actually frequent Americus and Dublin, If you to a gas station in those towns, you're likely to see the same dreadhead with goldteeth and 24 inch rims that you would in Macon. The differences between those towns and Macon would be that youdont have to drive out of town to go to a real "city"

If you can live there you can live in Macon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon