Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:31 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,024,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Lets take a city that isn't even known for "crime" or "corruption"

While I was in Huntsville, Alabama, crowds of people would completely take over shopping centers and gas stations and turn them into their own personal ghetto car shows/thug fest. When the police would make everyone leave, the crowd would simply move from place to place, and the cycle continued all night until people decided to go home.

There was also a problem with something called "stunting" where fools would drive down the street fast as the could and constantly change lanes or do car tricks in the middle of the dang road, gas station, parking lots, etc.

Many fights and wrecks resulted because of this ALL THE TIME. THIS DOES NOT EVEN HAPPEN IN MACON!!

....on the other hand....SIMILAR to Macon....there would also be problems on the weekends at the mall, as it was a gathering place for THUGS.

All of this in a city with a much better rep than Macon.

Sometimes you have to actually go out in public and see things.
Got any more stories to tell?
I really do not care how you feel about the world around you. Prove what you say. Or at the very least stop making a fool of yourself.
And how about those stats... got any yet? Didn't think so. You are wrong, admit it and move on. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,067,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Got any more stories to tell?
I really do not care how you feel about the world around you. Prove what you say. Or at the very least stop making a fool of yourself.
And how about those stats... got any yet? Didn't think so. You are wrong, admit it and move on. Please.
Well, I bet there is more to enjoy in Macon than whatever country town you live in.

What are you talking about? Why dont you PROVE what you say. Nobody can PROVE anything unless they were right there as it happened, or have video evidence. Your stats makes "suggestions" but they dont PROVE anything either, because there are always other factors.

It is you making a fool out yourself, going out of your way to say something bad about Macon every chance you get. If there was an incident that happened to you here that could have happened anywhere else, but you continue to whine about Macon, then get over it.

There have been enough people who stop by these forums to let it be known that Macon is not nearly as bad as you and a few other bitter people paint it.

What exactly do you get out of being negative towards the city every chance you get?

Old 03-08-2009, 08:51 PM

Bulldawgfan

What is it that you want me to admit? You want me to admit that Macon is BY FAR more ghetto and dangerous than the cities I named? I will not do that, because it isn't. My proof is through experiencing these cities first hand.

There is not a day that goes by that some ghetto crap does NOT happen in the many ghetto sections in ALL of those towns. There is nothing WORSE going on here in Macon.

Troubled public schools, fights, robberies, occassional shootings, gang activies, etc.

all of that is common among those cities...not just macon. Stop putting on an act.

go spend time in any of those cities, go to the mall on the weekend, and look at the nightly news. Same stuff, different city.

Post all the "STATS" you want, you cant deny or disprove that.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 03-08-2009 at 09:01 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Why dont you PROVE what you say. Nobody can PROVE anything
You Highness,

Look back through this thread and see how many times I used the word 'ghetto' or 'gangsta'. You will not find either word in my responses. I did ask you and NewtownMacon to defend your fine city with some stats comparing her to ANY like-sized city in the southeastern United States. You mentioned a couple of cities... all of which I provided published information countering what you said. It seems to me that your mind is made up. You will not believe any published information or data which counters your opinion. I cannot help that you two are closed minded and cannot see the forest through the trees.

I am glad that you guys feel safe in your home town despite the documented information which states otherwise. Really. But if this is how you two are going to defend her, well, I feel sorry for her. You "feel" safe? You "don't care what the information says" because you have been to other places? You want to quibble about sizes of cities? Come on. The U.S. average City-Data crime index is 320... and your city is more than double that. One could say Macon is twice as bad as the average, based on published data. But I never did, did I? Nope. What I did say was that I have traveled a lot throughout the south east and cannot think of a like-sized city in which I felt less safe (from crime). As Macon is the nearest 'metropolitan' area to where I live I really wish it was not a crime hot spot, I really do. But wishing and hoping does not change the facts. Niether does looking the other way (sticking your head in the sand), which you two apparently are very good at.

There is a little counter on the top of this page which shows the reputation others give you if they like what you have said or agree with your point. Since we have started this discussion mine has increased a couple of points because others have agreed with my stance on this subject. I have not seen either of yours increase... not even one point. Despite your 'feelings' how this discussion went, the data was against you.

So go ahead and say I am Macon bashing. It was I who provided published information to counter your claims. Everyone can see that. Well, everyone but you two.

The truth is, you guys probably live in a nicer part of a crime ridden city. Period.

(Do not feel discouraged... I hardly believe you guys could be wrong on every subject)

Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 AM

38 posts, read 118,411 times
Macon is not all that but it's not that bad neither. It's a cool town and has a lot of things for a city of only 97,000.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,295,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
You Highness,

Look back through this thread and see how many times I used the word 'ghetto' or 'gangsta'. You will not find either word in my responses. I did ask you and NewtownMacon to defend your fine city with some stats comparing her to ANY like-sized city in the southeastern United States. You mentioned a couple of cities... all of which I provided published information countering what you said. It seems to me that your mind is made up. You will not believe any published information or data which counters your opinion. I cannot help that you two are closed minded and cannot see the forest through the trees.

I am glad that you guys feel safe in your home town despite the documented information which states otherwise. Really. But if this is how you two are going to defend her, well, I feel sorry for her. You "feel" safe? You "don't care what the information says" because you have been to other places? You want to quibble about sizes of cities? Come on. The U.S. average City-Data crime index is 320... and your city is more than double that. One could say Macon is twice as bad as the average, based on published data. But I never did, did I? Nope. What I did say was that I have traveled a lot throughout the south east and cannot think of a like-sized city in which I felt less safe (from crime). As Macon is the nearest 'metropolitan' area to where I live I really wish it was not a crime hot spot, I really do. But wishing and hoping does not change the facts. Niether does looking the other way (sticking your head in the sand), which you two apparently are very good at.

There is a little counter on the top of this page which shows the reputation others give you if they like what you have said or agree with your point. Since we have started this discussion mine has increased a couple of points because others have agreed with my stance on this subject. I have not seen either of yours increase... not even one point. Despite your 'feelings' how this discussion went, the data was against you.

So go ahead and say I am Macon bashing. It was I who provided published information to counter your claims. Everyone can see that. Well, everyone but you two.

The truth is, you guys probably live in a nicer part of a crime ridden city. Period.

(Do not feel discouraged... I hardly believe you guys could be wrong on every subject)
Absolutely fantastic post! You have waaaaay more patience than I do.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 AM

38 posts, read 118,411 times
Macon is more than double the national average, but so are some of those other towns. It is rough in MAC GA but not as rough as some would like you to believe, atleast not in comparison to other towns. I see points on both sides but I agree that some people tend to come down too hard on macon

Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 PM

Bulldawgfan, you seem slightly confused.

This is what you said,

"I did ask you and NewtownMacon to defend your fine city with some stats comparing her to ANY like-sized city in the southeastern United States. You mentioned a couple of cities... all of which I provided published information countering what you said."

You see, I NEVER claimed that Macon was a perfect town or that Macon was so much better than the cities I named. My MAIN point was and always has been that Macon and those towns are very similar when it comes down to their "problems"

What you did was post the crime index of those cities. The US average is around 320.
You posted Macon at 700+
You posted the 2 Louisiana cities I named which both were 600+
You admitrd Jackson, MS was even higher than Macon's.
and all the other cities were significantly over the US average.

That proves my point in that most (if not all) of the cities I mentioned ALL suffer from similar problems as Macon....gangs, occasional shootings, poor public schools, high population of thugs roaming around malls on the weekends. My point is you can see that in all those towns. My question to you is WHAT makes it so much WORSE when it come down to Macon in comparison to those cities?

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 03-09-2009 at 11:17 PM..

Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 PM

Tell me something that is NEGATIVE that generally occurs in Macon, that DOES NOT ALSO happen in Jackson, Montgomery, Mobile, Columbus, Augusta, Savannah, Port Arthur, Beaumont, Shreveport, Monroe (Louisiana), Baton Rouge, Columbia, N. Charleston, Durham, Tallahassee, etc. as well

When you can do that then I will admit I am wrong.

You speak as if Macon is the only city in our region where these things happen. I mean, you do not even have to look that far.
Macon WITHOUT a doubt is no worse than Birmingham, Savannah, N. Charleston, Augusta, Albany, and several South Florida Cities....and in my opinion....you can toss in Columbus, Montgomery, Mobile and Columbia too....thats without even mentioning the cities in other southern states that do not even border Georgia.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Tell me something that is NEGATIVE that generally occurs in Macon, that DOES NOT ALSO happen in Jackson, Montgomery, Mobile, Columbus, Augusta, Savannah, Port Arthur, Beaumont, Shreveport, Monroe (Louisiana), Baton Rouge, Columbia, N. Charleston, Durham, Tallahassee, etc. as well

When you can do that then I will admit I am wrong.

You speak as if Macon is the only city in our region where these things happen. I mean, you do not even have to look that far.
Macon WITHOUT a doubt is no worse than Birmingham, Savannah, N. Charleston, Augusta, Albany, and several South Florida Cities....and in my opinion....you can toss in Columbus, Montgomery, Mobile and Columbia too....thats without even mentioning the cities in other southern states that do not even border Georgia.

King_9.5,

In your defense, you never put Macon on a pedestal like your fellow defender. But, if you can find anywhere in this thread where I said this

Quote:
You speak as if Macon is the only city in our region where these things happen
I will give you a shiny new $100 WalMart gift card. I will save you some time... stop looking. Want another opportunity to win a $100 gift card? Find a single time where I said this

Quote:
If you are going to put words in my mouth please do a better job of it, OK?
On the other hand, I provided/can provide published data which shows that this statement you made is false, in regards to crime indexes

Quote:
Macon WITHOUT a doubt is no worse than...
Quote:
... Shreveport, Monroe, Montgomery, Mobile, Birmingham, Savannah, Albany
I cannot help that you do not agree with the stats that are located on this very site. I guess you think the people behind these stats are closet Macon bashers also. We are all out to tarnish your city's image (we are all after those $100 gift cards mentioned earlier ).
As I said earlier, you mind in made up. You are not willing to accept any information that counters your beliefs. If you really believe that black is really white, or that the moon is just the sun at night, I am not going debate with you. Can't you see that comparing your city to the very worse in the southeastern U.S. only proves my point? Maybe? Kinda? Sorta?
Its actually quite funny if you think about it. You are attempting to elevate your cities stature by comparing it to the bottom of the barrel, in regards to crime stats. The funny part is that you (guys) failed.

On a lighter note, I sure hope there is good weather for the Cherry Blossom Festival this year.

Last edited by Bulldawgfan; 03-10-2009 at 06:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon