Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:48 AM

970 posts, read 2,951,091 times

Advertisements

God help this place....

What "glitz" one may see driving up 75 passing Riverside Dr. & Bass Rd. cannot tell the story of how run down & depressing this place is. The airport is a joke. I had to go there to swap out a rental car. No active gates. NONE. Only two out of four rental car counters were open. I was maybe one of 6 people on the entire property.

I'm sorry, this place needs an enema. Maybe Atlanta will move south, absorb it & fix her up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 01:17 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
Macon is home to a mighty fine hotdog place... Nu-Way weiners..that's atleast one redeeming thing about the town.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 PM

41 posts, read 166,815 times
You could find the airport?? Seriously, those of us in Macon don't fly out of the little strip of an airport, we drive up to Atlanta, an hour away. And we don't rent cars from the big guys.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:25 PM

841 posts, read 1,402,267 times
I see Macon has lot of Fans or a lot of haters; Because it seem that a lot of you go out your way to bring attention to the City......Thanks keep it coming, It's so funny to See people making them selves look so STUPID....

Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
... It's so funny to See people making them selves look so STUPID....
Its good to see your still out there making friends, NewtownMacon. Informing people that you think their opinions are stupid will surely get you far. For what it is worth, I have traveled all over the southeastern U.S. in the last 20 plus years and cannot think of a city, in my opinion, that is more ugly, rundown or nasty than Macon. You can call me stupid... I think I am accurate.

Quote:
You could find the airport?? Seriously, those of us in Macon don't fly out of the little strip of an airport, we drive up to Atlanta, an hour away. And we don't rent cars from the big guys.
MaconWard1,

This is the attitude that keeps Macon down. The airport is about the only thing Macon has going in a good direction. But rather than park in a small lot, walk right in and board a plane... you would rather drive to Hartsfield, park in that mess, wade through that humanity, and wait forever to even get to a gate. A minimum of two and a half hours (if you are lucky) to board a plane that you could have gotten on in less than an hour. If I were promoting Macon I certainly would not dis the airport... it is the single bright spot of the city. To have commercial services in a city of less than 100,000 people is a good thing. It will not last long....

Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Macon has it's pluses...you apparently did not take the time to find them. My half-sister (an Atlanta native) has lived there for 15 years and loves it. I find in my visits that it has a cool historic area, lovely neighborhoods and some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Macon has it's pluses...you apparently did not take the time to find them. My half-sister (an Atlanta native) has lived there for 15 years and loves it. I find in my visits that it has a cool historic area, lovely neighborhoods and some of the nicest people I've ever met.
Exactly

Old 03-03-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Its good to see your still out there making friends, NewtownMacon. Informing people that you think their opinions are stupid will surely get you far. For what it is worth, I have traveled all over the southeastern U.S. in the last 20 plus years and cannot think of a city, in my opinion, that is more ugly, rundown or nasty than Macon. You can call me stupid... I think I am accurate.

MaconWard1,

This is the attitude that keeps Macon down. The airport is about the only thing Macon has going in a good direction. But rather than park in a small lot, walk right in and board a plane... you would rather drive to Hartsfield, park in that mess, wade through that humanity, and wait forever to even get to a gate. A minimum of two and a half hours (if you are lucky) to board a plane that you could have gotten on in less than an hour. If I were promoting Macon I certainly would not dis the airport... it is the single bright spot of the city. To have commercial services in a city of less than 100,000 people is a good thing. It will not last long....

Well you must haven't been to that many cities in the south because i can name a least 10 that in my opinion makes Macon look like paradise..... Good try, but still as always another lame post trying to make Macon look bad has failed..... maybe next time it will work........

Old 03-03-2009, 12:34 PM

970 posts, read 2,951,091 times
Quote:
If I were promoting Macon I certainly would not dis the airport... it is the single bright spot of the city. To have commercial services in a city of less than 100,000 people is a good thing. It will not last long....

Have you SEEN the airport? It's basically closed! No ticket counters were open (they only have two)...and the screening area was closed! No TSA folks were there!

And this is the "bright spot" in the city? Between that & other assorrted blight, Macon is well on its way to being Clayton County-South.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:51 PM

41 posts, read 166,815 times
Quote:

MaconWard1,

I'm getting flack from Bulldawg about a negative comment about the Macon??? That's a laugh. Why would I drive 30 minutes South of Macon to an airport that only has one carrier that does not even have a gate at the only airport it flies to? And have to still have to go through security in Atlanta? And back when ASA had service most of the time their plane was a Bus to Atlanta! No thanks. Groome or drive myself to the park 'n ride, an hour and a half to the Delta kiosk.

The problem with the Macon Airport, other than the lack of air service, is the size (runway) and location. If it was closer to I-75, not down a stop and go 247, it would serve the region better. The new Sardis Church Road Exit might help, but will also land lock the airport to the South. It would have also been a good idea to use Robins runway like the Fort Watlon Beach airport uses Eglin.

I'd say build a new Macon Airport north of the city, around the 75/475 interchange with a high speed rail to Hartsfield/Jackson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon