Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 12:52 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,558 times

Advertisements

In the market for a four-bedroom home? You might not find a better deal than in Macon.

That’s because Macon has one of the nation’s 10 most-affordable housing markets, according to a study released Wednesday.

City: Macon among nation’s most-affordable housing markets - Business - Macon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 09:51 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
In the market for a four-bedroom home? You might not find a better deal than in Macon.

That’s because Macon has one of the nation’s 10 most-affordable housing markets, according to a study released Wednesday.

City: Macon among nation’s most-affordable housing markets - Business - Macon
This doesn't surprise me at all. There is a very valid reason why it ranks this way.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This doesn't surprise me at all. There is a very valid reason why it ranks this way.
I think the OP is still trying to decipher this.

I agree though.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 AM

18 posts, read 42,743 times
I wouldn't live in Macon for various reasons.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:51 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,037 times
And I would also live in Macon for various reasons thats why I do! LoL

Old 01-17-2010, 06:47 PM

14 posts, read 43,789 times
Per capita, it ranks #1 in the country in homicide. If you're a gang banger, you can feel good about your dirt cheap crack house. You get what you pay for; there's a reason for that: supply / demand. People are dumping their properties in Macon faster than removing an Obama sticker at a KKK rally.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,356 times
AR Hippie: A little bitter about Macon are we? I am shocked by your comments given your writing on the AR board where you said, "Judging any state by one person is just plain stupid. Stereotyping is racism's ugly sister." Aren't you judging an entire city by the poorest and least educated of its citizens? Hmmmmmm.

Of course there are crackhouses in Macon, but much of Macon is beautiful. I would bet my street is as safe as yours. I live close in with an older heavily wooded neighborhood and it is as quiet as can be. By the way you can drive Lower Hartley Bridge road until it becomes Boy Scout rd in Byron and you can see about 20 of Byron's finest crackhouses too.

I know some people don't care about the ameneties of living in Macon such as the art/cultural events, local restaurants, nightlife, and history. Some of us love it. I could never live in Byron as it is far too country/suburban for me, but I realize that many folks are looking for towns such as that.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 01-18-2010 at 06:32 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
lol.....How in the heck can Macon be #1 per capita in homocide...when you have similar populated cities like Gary, Indiana and Camden, NJ with many more???

Most mid-sized cities in the south, midwest and east coast have a ton of rough spots...but enough good as well. It's the same ol story.....I see people saying the same things about Montgomery, Mobile, Charleston, Savannah, Augusta, Columbus, etc....about how horrible it is when it comes to being ghetto and its never as bad as they make it out to be...

good post @midgeorgiaman

Old 01-19-2010, 02:48 PM

14 posts, read 43,789 times
You guys are just mad about my Obama sticker comment, LOL. King_X, you're right; I was wrong on Macon being #1. I heard that from someone that supposedly got it from a reliable source but I just checked and I was wrong; sorry about that. Middlegeorgiaman, my address is in Byron but I actually live in Powersville, in Old English Plantation subdivision. I doubt that there is any neighborhood in Macon, gated included, that is as safe as ours here.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers or gave the wrong impression. I'm not bitter about Macon in the least; I've lived in Weiner Robins for nearly 30 years and I've never had a problem - but I don't go downtown Macon at night unless I have to. It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon