Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 04:38 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,023,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNF View Post

The posts that everyone is quoting are where YOU SAID Rutland isn't a nice place to live because of crimes in south and east Macon.
Show me where I said that. I will save you some time, I never specifically said that. You think I did, but I didn't. What I did say was that no matter where you are in Macon you are only a few miles away from all that crime. That is a fact. No lie there.
Quote:
Your whole argument is that macon extremely bad
Once again, show me where I said that. I will save you some more time, I never did. But Macon does have an extremely high crime rate, which, indirectly is saying that I suppose. I know that logic is not on your side but you do realize that by claiming that most of the crime happens in a condensed area makes parts of your city even worse than the stats show, correct?
Quote:
you even went as far as to say because Macon "was" 55sqm that crimes affect everyone regardless of the area
And again, you make stuff up. But there is some truth to that, by the way. While your police force is trying to do something about the massive amount of crime you have they will no doubt be slower to respond to the fender benders and other lesser incidents that happen. So, it will indeed effect everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 PM
RNF

141 posts, read 231,426 times
Lets look at what you said. So this guy claims he never said anything bad about Rutland nor crime.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
BWesty,
I looked back at a weeks worth of the local paper and this is what is happening within just a few miles of those few decent pockets in and around Macon

Police: Two mean shot to death in east Macon duplex did not shoot each other

Masked man robs KFC in north Bibb County

Macon men forced into a car and robbed at gunpoint

Soiled clothing gets Macon burglary suspect arrested

Records: Man accused of running over, killing woman had history of domestic violence

Bibb deputies investigate stabbing of teen

Bibb teen reportedly shoots self in foot

Macon police charge man with robbery by force

Gunmen rob Macon man at home

Macon man shot Saturday in New Clinton Road area

Illegal resident charged in Macon rape

Masked man brandishing large stick attempts Bibb motel robbery

One week, all within just a few miles of those few decent places in and around Macon. I did not see a single post that said everywhere in Macon is bad. But these murders, rapes and burglaries did all occur within just a few miles of every decent area in and around Macon. If that is OK with you, then fine. But I think potential new residents should know what they are buying into. I would want to know that if I wandered a few miles in my new city I would likely be entering crime areas that rival any in the country. I think it is the right thing to do, as appose to sugar coating the real landscape of an area.
Quote:
The current version of Macon is 55 square miles, or around 7.5 miles by 7.5 miles if one wanted to represent it in a square shape. In 2010 there was 22 murders in that 7.5 mile by 7.5 mile area. Savannah had 20. Albany 11. Columbus had 15. Huntsville 12. Montgomery did have 25, but it is about a hundred square miles bigger than Macon. Per capita Montgomery had about half the murders as Macon.
In almost every crime category Macon is worse than all the cities previously mentioned. Based on population (per capita), based on size or even just based on shear numbers of crimes.
Consolidation does not change that 22 murder number, in fact it is bound to go up.

That is not a compulsive lie, those are published numbers. All that crime is happening in a 7.5 mile by 7.5 mile area, so yeah, it is close by ... whether you want to recognize that or not.
Quote:
You are so blinded by your rose colored glasses you do not even understand the simplest of math. There were 22 murders in Macon in 2010. It does not matter if you stretch Macon out from south Atlanta to Valdosta, from Butler to Dublin ... that 22 murder number is higher than all other liked sized cities in the state. And because you just increased the size of Macon by well over 100 times its actual current size those murder numbers with go up. Do you not understand that? Consolidation (i.e. size) has nothing to do with the raw crime numbers.

And for the record, I am forced to use statistics from this site because they will remove links from all other stat type sites.

Again, no lie there. Why do you have to lessen this thread by asking what I am smoking, you know that is a violation of the terms of this board, right? Here is what I wrote, and please pay attention to the underlined part

Your city is so bad in regards to crime that you are forced to compare her to the very worst cities in the entire country, just to make her look better. To help you out I will list the other like sized cities from another site that have a worse crime problem than Macon. All nine of them, in the entire country.
Camden NJ, West Palm Beach FL, Compton CA, Trenton NJ, Reading PA, Canton OH, Youngstown OH, Miami Beach FL, and North Charleston SC. These cities are the only liked sized cities in the entire country that you can compare Macon to if you want her crime to look better. All other comparisons will make her look bad, and that list is huge. So, yeah, Macon is worse in regards to crime than most all other liked sized cities in the country.

You too cannot see the forest through the trees. The 22 murders in your beautiful city in 2010 are real numbers. Just like your neighbor is your real neighbor. When consolidation kicks in that 22 murder number is either going to go up or maybe stay the same, but I doubt it. 22 murders is a really high number. Columbus had 15. Huntsville had 12. Albany had 11. When consolidation kicks in you increase the sample size, making it very likely that that 22 murder number will go up. Your per capita crime rate will likely go down ... but that does nothing to the shear number of crimes your city experiences.
Quote:
And there it is, as plain as day. You have no problem promoting your city to folks that are possibly relocating knowing good and well that within just a few miles there exists a crime problem that is about as bad as it gets in the southeastern U.S.. 22 murders in 55 square miles in 2010, and this year just might be worse. You say there are decent areas yet fail to mention that those 55 square miles has one of the worst crime problems in the nation. Come move to Macon you say, but fail to mention that the whole 7.5 mile by 7.5 mile area is not very 'usable'. I have seen the maps you have drawn on ... stay away from here, don't go there, etc.. By narrowing down the bad areas you actually highlight just how intensely violent the city of Macon really is.
I am considering starting a weekly crime log on this Macon forum. A monthly crime log would just be too darn long.
22 murders in maybe 35 square miles. That kind of crime rate has got to be about as bad as it gets anywhere! Go ahead, live near that and promote that. Defend that. Personally I could not sleep at night doing that.
Quote:
Yet, from another site I found this list:

CITIES OF 75,000 TO 99,999 POPULATION: (129 cities)

Most Dangerous 10:

1. Camden, NJ
2. West Palm Beach Beach, FL
3. Compton, CA
4. Trenton, NJ
5. Reading, PA
6. Canton, OH
7. Youngstown, OH
8. Miami Beach, FL
9. North Charleston, SC
10. Macon, GA*
*Albany, NY was previously listed as 10th. It is 12th

Which, if you notice the asterisk, says that Macon recently replaced Albany, New York as the tenth most dangerous city in the country. Just where did Albany fall in the list you linked? 13th. The second most dangerous city of this size in the state of New York. Are you OK with your city being compared to the worst cities in the country? You do not think that is an important thing to mention to possible re-locators? I certainly do. And I will.

For every post that you make that says "parts of Macon are not that bad" I promise you I will be here to present published data that shows just how bad it is, as a whole. It is the right thing to do.
Quote:
Face it, you have more crime in your city than most all other like sized cities. In the entire country.
Quote:
Ready for this? Well, according to the City Data crime index, Macon has a worse crime rating index than 7 of the top 10 on the list you posted! Repeat for emphasis ... Macon has a higher crime index than 7 of the top 10 on your list!
So, yeah, man ... one of the worst crime problems in the nation!!!

Lets just assume that your list is more accurate, for discussions sake. Macon is listed 40th worst in the nation. Now lets assume that there are 129 cities in this size range as my list indicates. That means, for discussions sake, that Macon is ranked 40th most dangerous out of 129.
So, yeah, man ... Macon is in the top third of most dangerous cities in the nation. At best. Sux when you see the numbers, huh?
For your sake I sure hope that consolidation happens soon ... then all that crime will be diluted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Underlined is most imp. The rest is this guy talking about crime.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Lets look at what you said. So this guy claims he never said anything bad about Rutland nor crime.

Underlined is most imp. The rest is this guy talking about crime.

Boy you spent a lot of time just to prove my point.
Again, show me where I said this
Quote:
The posts that everyone is quoting are where YOU SAID Rutland isn't a nice place to live because of crimes in south and east Macon.
In all that that you copied and pasted nowhere did I say what you said I did.
And in regards to this
Quote:
Your whole argument is that macon extremely bad
I never once said all of Macon was bad, as you infer. As a whole, it certainly sucks, but did you not see these lines I wrote?
Quote:
And not once did I see anyone paint an ugly picture of the Hartley Bridge area. I could find nothing stating that there were no decent places to live in Macon
Since you are putting words in my mouth I will help you out again, since I am such a nice guy ... and I hate to see you cut and paste a bunch of stuff that only strengthens the points I made ...

I did mention Rutland/Hartley Bridge. I did mention crime. But never once did I mention them together, or linked.
You can cut and paste all of my posts and you still look like a fool trying to argue for arguments sake. I never said what you think I said. You feebly try and defend a city that, as data shows, is clearly way way down on the most desirable list of safe cities to re-locate to. You clearly do not understand how increasing the area (consolidation) will only show more crime in the actual numbers.

By the way, you are wrong here, when you say this
Quote:
I like how you switch the conversation to something else from another thread which no one said here
Not only was it said in this thread (post number107), but you said it. I repeat, you said this in post number 107
Quote:
90% Percent of Macon is bad. Go to google earth or google maps. Start on 247 all the way to North macon........that whole area is bad. Note: That's most of the city.
But rather than call you a liar, I will just say you are wrong. Again and again and again.

Perhaps you and others live in a nicer part of town, I am happy for you. But that does not change one thing about the areas within just a few miles from where you live. Crime that rivals most any other similar sized place in the nation. It is sad that you would even try to deflect that, in my opinion.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:25 PM
RNF

Quote:
Boy you spent a lot of time just to prove my point.
Again, show me where I said this
In all that that you copied and pasted nowhere did I say what you said I did.
And in regards to this
I never once said all of Macon was bad, as you infer. As a whole, it certainly sucks, but did you not see these lines I wrote?
Since you are putting words in my mouth I will help you out again, since I am such a nice guy ... and I hate to see you cut and paste a bunch of stuff that only strengthens the points I made ...

I did mention Rutland/Hartley Bridge. I did mention crime. But never once did I mention them together, or linked.
You can cut and paste all of my posts and you still look like a fool trying to argue for arguments sake. I never said what you think I said. You feebly try and defend a city that, as data shows, is clearly way way down on the most desirable list of safe cities to re-locate to. You clearly do not understand how increasing the area (consolidation) will only show more crime in the actual numbers.

By the way, you are wrong here, when you say this
Not only was it said in this thread (post number107), but you said it. I repeat, you said this in post number 107

But rather than call you a liar, I will just say you are wrong. Again and again and again.

Perhaps you and others live in a nicer part of town, I am happy for you. But that does not change one thing about the areas within just a few miles from where you live. Crime that rivals most any other similar sized place in the nation. It is sad that you would even try to deflect that, in my opinion.
1 post above.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
1 post above.
I have read the underlined quotes and still do not see where I said what you say I said.
Quote:
I am considering starting a weekly crime log on this Macon forum. A monthly crime log would just be too darn long.
If I did start a monthly crime log, this is how busy I would be -

I would likely have to report nearly two murders per month, and

around three rapes per month

about 24 robberies per month

31 or so assaults

about 178 burglaries each and every month

about 376 thefts per month

52 or so auto thefts every single month

and about 6 arsons per month, give or take.

Each one of those within that 55 square mile area. And, if you live within the city limits, all of that is happening within just a few miles of where you live. Each and every month, by average.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:52 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,065,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Crime is crime. It can happen anywhere at any given time in the United States whether it's Macon or not. I'm not a big fan of crime stats because I can find somewhere to live away from all of that..

Does Macon offer those areas? Of course they do...so don't feed on the trolling....
Exactly.

I dont see how this is so hard to understand for some..

Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM

Bulldawgfan doesnt realize how easily his train of thought can be discredited.

1 City could have an overall higher crime rate than another, but you could have specific neighborhoods and zip codes
in the city with lower overall crime that are much more dangerous and violent than certain neighborhoods and zip codes in the city with higher overall crime.

Huntsville has a lower overall crime rate than Macon. However, there are areas in Huntsville like Terry Heights and Butler Terrace that are BY FAR more
dangerous to reside in than Rutland or North Macon. Using his logic, I guess it would be safer to live in the Terry Heights area of Huntsville than North Macon.

I think people are more concerned about whether or not the neighborhoods and immediate surroundings of where they choose to live within a city
are safe. Take your pick, Macon, Savannah, Columbus, Augusta, Albany, Montgomery, Mobile, Huntsville, etc. and they all have certain areas people wouldnt
want to wander in at night. This guy makes it seem like Macon is the only one with those areas.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Oh, I agree. I-95 and I-75 are major drug corridors. But according to some one here, the crime in Macon is mostly focused in certain areas of the city. Poorer, more run down areas. I really doubt the drug runners would use those areas very much when they pass through. They would be too worried about getting robbed and/or shot!!

Hilarious.

So here you've basically admitted you don't know what you're talking about and you're just proving how clueless you are.

You're assuming the crime in Macon is caused by out of town drug runners, then you attempt to bash Macon some more by assuming that a significant portion of that crime is spread out all around town because you "doubt the drug runners (who are just out of towners, passing through) would use those areas (Poorer, more run down areas) very much when they pass through" which in turn means you're suggesting that "out of town drug runners who are just passing through" are roaming all around "safe" areas like Forsyth Rd, Tucker Rd, Zebulon, Hartley Bridge, etc causing equally or nearly as much trouble as the thugs in South or West Macon city proper.

Crime in Macon is MOSTLY committed by gang banging thugs who live in South Macon and West Macon city proper neighborhoods and MOSTLY confined to those neighborhoods. It's not committed by fictional "Scarface" movie characters who set up shop in the "safer" areas of town because "They would be too worried about getting robbed and/or shot!!" in the poorer, more run down areas.

If this kind of wild speculation is not trolling, then I don't know what is.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:08 PM
RNF

Quote:
I have read the underlined quotes and still do not see where I said what you say I said.

If I did start a monthly crime log, this is how busy I would be -

I would likely have to report nearly two murders per month, and

around three rapes per month

about 24 robberies per month

31 or so assaults

about 178 burglaries each and every month

about 376 thefts per month

52 or so auto thefts every single month

and about 6 arsons per month, give or take.

Each one of those within that 55 square mile area. And, if you live within the city limits, all of that is happening within just a few miles of where you live. Each and every month, by average.
Rutland wasn't in the city limits. How can one not comprehend that?

Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post

You're assuming
And you are wrong again. I was assuming nothing. In fact, I was infering just the oppisite of what you say here
Quote:
crime in Macon is caused by out of town drug runners
For the life of me I do not know how you could read what I wrote and come up with that. I merely pointed out that drug runners who happen to be passing through are probably not going to chill in the bad part of towns ... any towns. You see, they do not want to draw attention to themselves, so they probably would not hang out where the police presence is high.

And although I never said anything even remotely like this
Quote:
you're suggesting that "out of town drug runners who are just passing through" are roaming all around "safe" areas like Forsyth Rd, Tucker Rd, Zebulon, Hartley Bridge
It is probably much more likely that they would stay in a low to medium quality motel, say off of Eisenhower or Zebulon, than them hanging out in the 'hood'. But they certainly would not be roaming all around like you suggest, and that I never said.

The only person who is guilty of
Quote:
wild speculation
is you. You continually read way more into my posts than I ever say. You fill in areas to suit your position that were never said nor inferred.

Quote:
Bulldawgfan doesnt realize how easily his train of thought can be discredited
So far, my train of thought is nothing close to what you say it is.

Quote:
1 City could have an overall higher crime rate than another, but you could have specific neighborhoods and zip codes
in the city with lower overall crime that are much more dangerous and violent than certain neighborhoods and zip codes in the city with higher overall crime.
Please show me where I ever suggested anything to counter your above post.

Quote:
I think people are more concerned about whether or not the neighborhoods and immediate surroundings of where they choose to live within a city
are safe
And I do not disagree with this statement. But we will have to define just what is an 'immediate area'.
From the Hartley Bridge and I-75 area to, how did you say it,
Quote:
Crime in Macon is MOSTLY committed by gang banging thugs who live in South Macon and West Macon city proper neighborhoods
is only a couple of miles away. Maybe three, four, perhaps five. Define immediate area, and if you say less than four miles I will disagree with you again. Four miles is around 21,000 feet, in this day an age that is not very far.

Quote:
set up shop
Where in Gods name did you come up with this thought? I said 'passing through' and you read 'set up shop'. You have comprehension issues. Serious comprehension issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon