U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:47 PM

36 posts, read 85,315 times
dang...i didnt know macon was that badd.
i mean im from Atlanta its bad here but its home i think its just bad for people who are new here????

i love Atlanta i havent been to Macon i just wanted to move thier one time but im just going to stay in ATL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 10:22 PM

177 posts, read 8,167 times
The only thing that makes Macon worse, in my opinion, is the small town political motivation and the (yes, I`m gonna say it) bullying by blacks. Blacks in Macon will throw the race card nomatter how wrong they are. That may not be politically correct, but its the truth. The sad part is that the wealthy, white minority of North Macon has a small voice, even though they carry the largest majority of the tax burden, of which the money has been unwisely spent, putting the city in a bad financial situation.

I would stay in Atlanta if I were you. The races get along better there and (its been my experience anyway) blacks, whites, Asians, and Spanish....have all learned to coexist without all the aformentioned "junk"

Old 01-02-2008, 09:18 AM

511 posts, read 1,710,200 times
North Macon that im speaking of is not in the city limits of Macon but is in Bibb County. If you were from Macon or really knew it you would have known that it doesnt lie in the city of Macon and doesnt pay city taxes but pays county taxes. Also the majority black class does make up a huge percentage of North Macon as I said people in North Macon no matter how wealthy or what race they carry themselves correctly and respects everyone and there property. The area of North Macon must of had a large enough voice to land Bass Pro Shops one of the biggest hunting retailers in the country, and it cant be found in every and any small town around like Wal-Mart, it couldnt have landed stores that cant be found anywhere else in Georgia except Atlanta, why because these companies realize Macon is a shopping mecca amoung GEORGIA ( your probably going to try to twist my words with that ) but yes Macon is a shopping mecca in GEORGIA.

Not to say that the same respect and generosity cant be found in Macon as certain parts of city has been known to, areas such as Vineville, & Ingleside which sits just south of North Macon, the Riverside Drive area, Shirley Hills, & many more carry themselves to higher standards. There is also the fast growing Rutland area which can be compared to North Macon but a little further along. The Rutland area doesnt sit in the city of Macon and pay county taxes and has a very large vocie. The area will look to become its own city in the next couple of years, as growth is outgrowing land availiblity. Not only do I and everyone else who drives down I-75 in Macon realize the suppositional but major companies like Sara Lee, Geico and more importantly the state of Georgia recognize it.

Because of all the growth the Hartley Bridge Road exit has been completly redone to except three times as much traffic in the near future, this also why the first tunnel will be built in Macon outside of Atlanta because there isnt enough space because all of the growth. Macon and Bibb County gets the most traffic funding from the state outside of Atlanta why you ask? Because they realize the growth of North & South Bibb County and Macon's potential to be the next major thing is unparalleled to the rest of the state.

Last edited by MayorOfMacon2019; 01-02-2008 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 03:04 PM

I`m not going to argue with you about any of this.
Just ride through ANY affluent neighborhood in North Macon and look at all of the "for sale" signs....People are leaving in droves!! Your own paper reported it just a few months ago.
And all the "growth" you speak of on Hartley Bridge is the brain child of Moon Properties.......Building it doesnt mean it will fill up.
You are delusional and if you knew anything about real estate,development, or where folks were really migrating to, you would know Macon isnt on the list.
"A shopping mecca of Georgia"??? Are you serious????!!!!!LOL

Old 01-02-2008, 10:48 PM

Your just like the dude who said his insurance rates would rise a few weeks ago due to crime in Macon turns out crime has reduced once again by double digits number especially robberies where many of the Macon precints saw a 44 % decrease. Turned out his insurance comapny was based out of basement in India! Sounds like the same for whatever real estate company you claim to work for. But good luck with that. Also its not arguing its just conversating. I dont take anything you say serious.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 AM

LOL...Whatever you think little man.
Crime reduced in Macon...ROTFLMBO....that is funny right there!!
The sad, pathetic thing is that you probably truly believe it!!!LOL

Old 05-18-2008, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,497 times
Peelo..."for sale" signs on houses doesn't mean people are leaving Macon. It just means they can't afford their house. On another note, most of the growth Macon is experiencing is in North Macon. Thats where I live. I've been here 4 years. I like it.

Just recently its come out that there will be alot of development in Downtown Macon.
I think Macon is about to really boon once all this new development takes shape most b/c the cost of living is low and only 1 hour from ATL, busiest airport in the world. Since the cost of labor is lower here I see Macon growing

Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,765,205 times
I would ask a real estate professional to show you areas in South Bibb County (considered a sub of Macon) Look at the Hartley Bridge Road area-considered Lizella!! There are a lot of new/newish subdivisions there and friendly/family people. The kids can play in the back yard safely. There are major chain grocery stores close by and a few strip malls. Interstate is close so you can hop over to the Macon Mall and Macon in no time!! Prices are great, and you'll be happy. Lots of local churches to attend to get to know your neighbors. Best wishes and enjoy!

Old 06-16-2008, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,445 times
Default Macon, GA

I have lived here 4 years, but have been coming here 4 years before that when we started bringing our 2 kids here to private schools. We moved from the mid-west to a small town half-way between Atlanta and Macon, but found we were naive about public schools in GA. For the record, at least 10% of school-aged kids in Macon go to a private school. Originally it was mostly (Catholic schools are the exception) because of "white-flight", but now it's because most parents don't want the risk of their kids getting in with the crowd that doesn't value education. Check out the graduation rates (while you are at it, look at the test scores, too) for the public schools.

I work for the public school system in Macon, but my kids will stay where they are. My experience is that the public school system is very adequate, but many of the students come from families that find no value in education, so guess how well they do. The result is that advanced opportunities for even average students are just not there.

We live in N. Macon in a subdivision that seems mostly comprised of "transplants". Yes, there are a good many for-sale signs, but they tend to be company transfers, retirements, and occasionally those who want to build yet a bigger house. There is some crime up here, but not much. Most of the crime is in the lower socio-economic areas. I work in a school in one of those neighborhoods, and I feel much differently there than I do in N. Macon. And the new mall is very near us, and now open!

Jones County has all the conveniences of Macon, but a better mix in the school system. Same thing with Monroe County. Warner Robins has several outstanding public schools.

Macon can be a very narrow, conservative community, but that does make it a good place for raising kids. "Alternative" lifestyles are not prominent or celebrated, and you don't see much weird dress/hair, etc.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:07 PM

Well perception is everything and goodluck to you to. Remember that luck is what happens when preperation meets opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon