Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,355 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My husband and I are going to be moving to Madison mid-december and we looking for a 2 bedroom apartment priced up to $800ish. We have a small dog too. I just don't what the good areas of town are and I want to live somewhat close to the downtown area. I have found a few complexes online that I'm not really sure about, one in-particular is Arbor Hills Apartments. Anyone have any apartment recommendations? I just need some advice haha. I would also like to know how much utilities for a 2 bedroom estimation. thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 07:51 AM

95 posts, read 291,007 times
Arbor Hills is not close to downtown. It is on the other side of the beltline. What criteria are you looking for aside from being close to downtown. There are some decent rent specials in the area because of the time of year. Many places are working hard to find good renters (good credit, able to pass a criminal background check) so they are willing to negotiate. If you want to be close to things try and stay inside the beltline (Hwy 12/18). Utilities are going to very greatly, depending on the age of the building. Usually you can call the management company. Always a good idea to contact the local police department to check to see if there have been a lot of complaints in one area.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:03 AM

PS You are on a tight budget, so you might want to consider large one bedrooms so that you can be in a safe neighborhood. Amy

Old 10-31-2010, 03:23 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
Amy gave another poster good advice. Call the local police regarding the crime in an area. I've always heard bad things about Arbor Hills and an adjacent property Alhambra Apartments. I've heard of people being mugged in the parking lots, car break-ins and apartment break-ins. This is just hearsay, but I've heard enough comments to think there might be something to them. Check to make sure. This is from the Madison Police Department site: Welcome to CrimeReports.com

Looking at the above map there aren't as many violent crimes as I expected but, whoa , there are a *lot* of registered sex offenders living in that area.

Amy is also right on when she encourages you to look at larger 1 bedrooms. $800 is about as low as you would want to go for a two bedroom in Madison and it would not be in a desirable neighborhood at that.

Check out the east side for less expensive rents.

Try Craig's list madison apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist, too.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Also, go to the area and SEE the apartments for yourself. Many look nice, but when you see the other renters you will know if it is the place for you. Some places are nice during the day, but when people get home from work it's a different (wild) world.

In general I don't think any apartment near Arbor Hills is really safe by Madison standards. Check for something along University Avenue or along Sheboygan Ave behind Hilldale Mall and the DOT building. Safe and convenient!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:53 PM

first of all thanks for all the advice! since last posting i have found out that my husbands job is going to be more in the middleton area. I have been searching for more apartments and i have found the springtree apartments and new fountains apartments. does anyone know anything about these apartments/area?

Last edited by prettymuchsb; 11-01-2010 at 03:31 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 03:28 PM

also, if my husband works in the middleton area, what would the commute time from the above apartment areas be aproximately?

Last edited by prettymuchsb; 11-01-2010 at 03:40 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 04:29 PM

I'm going to say yuck to both of those complexes. There are a lot of flats in the downtown Middleton area. You might want to try craigslist. If you lived down in the hilldale area your husbands commute to middleton would be about 10 minutes.
If I see any for rent signs here in Middleton I'll send you some phone #'s. Downtown middleton is VERY safe.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:07 PM

10 posts, read 34,339 times
I recently moved to the West side of Madison too, and I can definitely suggest apartments over here. My first suggestion would be High Point Commons. You can probably find a 2 bedroom within your price range, and it's basically between downtown Madison and Middleton (plus on bus lines that go to downtown if you need that). Also will allow a small dog probably.

Seems like most of the apartments along High Point Road, Randolph Drive, or anywhere around West Towne Mall and Mineral Point Road area are pretty nice. It's definitely a nice area and completely safe. Been here for a while now, so I have plenty of advice for you and would be happy to give more details/help if you want (feel free to private message me as well).

And not to discourage you, but Arbor Hills and the New Fountains might not be the best areas to live in.

Your safest bet would be somewhere up near Mineral Point Road or even further north a bit into Middleton.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 AM

I would totally agree with tootenstein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison