Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 PM

47 posts, read 167,033 times

Advertisements

Has anyone brought up the idea that hunting clothing and cold weather fishing clothes go pretty close together, as in, someone ice fishing could very well wear camo, hence the rise in 'appearances' when cold weather comes around? There's quite an ice fishing culture in this area, and state in general obviously.

Madison is very insular for many people that have been here and nowhere else, but also has plenty to do, and many times much more than people know (namely from Minneapolis, even want to know in my experience, as they'll tell you). It doesn't have as much as Milwaukee or Minneapolis, and none of these places combined have what Chicago has.

I've enjoyed living here for the most part, but am not sure how much I'd miss it if other opportunities arose....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 PM

23 posts, read 71,203 times
Well, I have definitely gotten some laughs from some of the responses. Can't say people don't have a sense of humor around here. Speaking of 'rural', my future in-laws were in town for a game and there were 6 deer in our neighbors yard and the biggest, fattest raccoon I had ever seen sauntered up my driveway. It like a National Geographic special!

Anyway. we're adapting well and my fiance has had no problems finding employment and just snagged a good job downtown. She is starting to make local friends too. (I'm focused on work)

Checked out the Old Fashioned and that was a good scene. The Lazy Susan was delicious.

PS: Anyone know a good place to find used furniture? We're struggling to find a good sectional.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 PM

280 posts, read 648,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Hey Milwaukee....

Hope the New Year is treating you well.

I think we all know that Madison likes to pretend it is some anomalous cultural island akin to San Francisco and we all know that the people who believe that live in the UW-Downtown-Isthmus world and don't get out of the city much. They are the vocal minority and live in their own "world". But they aren't the whole city either, most people who live in Madison are typical Wisconsinites who go about their lives and like where they live without the pretension of some of the people who never leave their bubble.

At the same time you have to realize that some of these posts are going the other extreme in trying to portray Madison as a place for hunters in the forrest. No one here is saying Madison is a major city or cosmopolitan even, but it is a metro area with half a million people so at the same time when people are saying it is rural, people here dress in camo lol it doesn't give an accurate impression. I am sure if you actively seek out someone wearing camo you could find that, but you would find that anywhere if you looked hard enough...so when people have first impressions of Madison and think they are exclusive to the city when they are isolated cases is kind of strange to read. I haven't seen people dressing like this around town either, and if I had I would be the first to admit it. There isn't anything wrong with that...so don't take that as an elitist comment from the other poster because I had the same reaction when I read that part of the post too. He or She seemed very down to earth in their post and didn't give me a snobby vibe at all.

Madison has plenty of quirks and is overrated on a lot of levels and I think it is good when people give it a reality check, but that doesn't mean that just because Madison isn't a major city that it's powdunk, USA either.

Just as some people build MSN up to something it's not, others try to portray it as something much less than it is. I don't know why it's so hard for people to come together in the middle on this one and say Madison is a nice, small metro area. Not very diverse overall but for Wisconsin yes. Not diverse when compared to Milwaukee, but not lily white either. I think a lot of people have impressions of Madison from yesteryear and the city, although still true to it's roots, is slowly changing overtime.
Great post. Everything here is pretty much what I take away from Madison. It seems like all the main cities in Wisconsin are still judged by what they were in the 1960s (Milwaukee: stodgy, blue-collar... Madison: hippie liberal activists... Green Bay: family friendly, "Titletown," etc.) no matter how irrelevant it is to what they are today.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:55 PM

95 posts, read 291,007 times
If you can't find something on craigslist or freecycle, try Another Home in Middleton, but make sure you call ahead. They have new stuff coming in all the time and if you let them know what you are looking for they might be able to help you out.
Or sometimes Atomic Furniture or the Pink Poodle has some interesting stuff.
Hope that helps.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:17 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devitron5000 View Post
Great post. Everything here is pretty much what I take away from Madison. It seems like all the main cities in Wisconsin are still judged by what they were in the 1960s (Milwaukee: stodgy, blue-collar... Madison: hippie liberal activists... Green Bay: family friendly, "Titletown," etc.) no matter how irrelevant it is to what they are today.
Yeah I know what you mean. Remember not too long ago a black bear was found in the Chicago suburbs? Imagine if we started giving impressions of how rural Schaumburg is because of an isolated incident and started saying it reminds us of Animal Planet because of that lol. Well that happens here too. I guess people can only understand their point of view after a recent move before they can get a better feeling of their new home. Afterall, there are coyotes in in Los Angeles too! I guess LA is rural as well because of that? Oh well, sigh. I guess it's semantics. I think people like to project what they think a place should be vs.what it really is initially, until the newness wears off and they get a more accurate perspective. Many people have a hard time dropping old stereotypes like you mentioned as well or looking past them to see the coin has two sides.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:55 AM

10 posts, read 35,535 times
yeah, I wanted to make the point that IN COMPARISON to just about everywhere else in the state, north of here, Madison is not super big on hunting. Big deal. I don't see how that makes me a snob. Did I say hunting was bad? No. Most of my family lives north of here, and a lot of them hunt. I don't have opinions about it one way or the other. But to be perfectly honest, I have no desire to live elsewhere in this state and am hoping to move out of state anyway. Mainly because of weather and lack of landscape. So the idea that madison people are snobby? Sure, some are, if you want that just go to Middleton (where I work) and shop around.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:00 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I just am having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of Madison being rural? I think some people may have taken a drive to the country because Madison is not rural, it is the state capitol with suburban sprawl surrounding it for several miles in every direction...but maybe people are thinking of the outlying suburbs? But then again that isn't Madison.

And people in hunting gear in Madison? I haven't seen that unless they are at Sports Authority or Gander Mountain going shopping for, hunting gear. People go up north to hunt, Madison is too populated for that kind of activity...but to see people dressing like that just around town? I suppose you could find some wierdos like that but they could live anywhere for that matter. Probably tourists from Chicago thinking they are going to blend in amidst the rural wilderness that is Madison lol.
I guess her perspective doesn't count......I guess it is a her, whoever the OP was. (not a her, I gather)

Last edited by AnnieA; 02-20-2011 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: eta: not a "her" I guess....LOL

Old 02-20-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
"Oh no not in madison we are so proper and more elegant we would never wear country bumpkin camo. We are more of a suit and tie city who likes high class wine bars and fancy restaurants. I have never seen camo in Madison are sure they weren't military?"

Signed, Madison.

I use sarcasm but I have seen this "oh never in madison" behavior before and it is why people stereotype madison as being too good for their own snobs and from my madison friends they seem to be proud of the fact that a lot of people don't like to be around madison people because we are always hearing how much better madison is than the rest of the state and how diverse it is and how non-college it really is.

Go to any mall in madison and even Milwaukee and Chicago and I guarantee you will see at least 5 people wearing a camo hat or jacket or pants or sweater. You will see hunting stickers on trucks in the Northbrook mall parking lot.

I heard a saying that is very funny about madison. "Madison is probably not a bad town if you take out the people"

or another version I heard was "Madison is a great city if you don't mind the people"

Look I have learned to like madison for what it is but I still come across strangers from madison that look down their nose at the rest of the state as if they are some backwards hicks and don't know any better.

Not trying to start a fire here so feel free just to ignore me I am just stating what I see time and time again. Don't worry same could be said for all my chicago friends on their view of anything Milwaukee.
Milwaukee city, I think I could learn to love you.....LOL.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Milwaukee city...snipped...You will see 5 things, a Church and 4 bars even a town with 45 people
You ought to live in Florida. You see 4 churches and 2 bars in a town of 45. The churches are sitting on 4 corners of the main intersection.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,534 times
Smile Funny you mention that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Is this sarcasm? you cannot be serious. I was just in Madison over the weekend and noticed people in camo, yes hunting hats, blaze orange, Deer antler stickers on truck windows, the whole 9 as they say. It's not a Madison thing but a Wisconsin thing, I am a little embarrassed by it but you gotta live with it just like the idiots that put a cheese block on their head and think it looks "neat" or "coo"l.

Madison does have some rural parts which is not a bad thing it is just what madison has to offer. I wouldn't feel ashamed of it, I have once said Madison feels like a giant suburb.

Bars on every corner is also a Wisconsin thing, ever notice any small town,WI ?

You will see 5 things, a Church and 4 bars even a town with 45 people.

BTW: Go Bears!
I just moved to rural Wisconsin from South Dakota, less than a year ago, and it's funny you mention the hunting gear being a WI thing because it's big back home, too. LOL. Also, bars on every corner back home along with a church on every corner. I think it's more of a northern plains/upper midwest thing. Small towns, small minds, with moderately sized cities that have a slightly more liberal stance. Nothing new to me.

BTW, had I been on here earlier, I would have applauded the "Go Bears!" That's my team

So, I'm on this forum because I wanted to learn more about Madison. I need to get out of the small town scene. I want public transit and culture and diversity. I have three young children. I'm happy to learn that Madison gets high rating for schools, women, and community! I am a graduate student (all online at the moment) and want to be back in a college town, too.

Peace!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison