Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,607,330 times

Advertisements

Hello Madisonians,
I'm seriously considering a move to Madison next Spring. I'm looking at the west side as I attend schoolat Matc-West. I'm looking for a 2 bedroom and I don't want to spend more then $950.00 a month on rent. I'd like something newer with amenities like a pool, fitness center, off the beaten path. I don't like complexes where there are tons of familes. I'm hoping for something a little more quiet, older crowd, more affluent et cetera. I know that $950 isn't much but I'd like to see what I could do with that price.

I've tried many of the local apartment search engines and magazines and have found many places to be too old and no amenities. Many are dives that have newer carpet, but old floorplans. I found a place on Luann Lane in Madison. I'm not sure how desirable this area is?

Thanks, Josh

Last edited by JoshB; 09-05-2011 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Had to add a sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 09:31 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,060 times
Hey Josh,

Right away when I saw Luann Lane I knew I knew it from either newspaper or tv news incidents, but wasn't sure where it was. I googled it, it is the Fish Hatchery Rd. cooridor, and that is more on the SW side.

Since you are in Baraboo, I suggest you drive by that area, it is under an hour from you. That area of Madison and Fitchburg has many apartments, rentals, transient lower income people, older apartment complexes and higher crime than the rest of the city.

If you want a new complex, you will have to look on the fringes of the city on the far west side or far southwest side, going towards Verona. Other places closer in will be older. There are plenty of decent older apartments that are in good west side locations but they may be dated or not have the ammenities you are looking for and you may have to pay extra for them at a new complex.

You could also look in Fitchburg in the NEW areas, but stay away from anything cheap in Fitchburg as it is the same as the South Madison areas that abut up against it. But there is a marked change in F-burg once you get near McKee Rd and further away from the Beltline.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:04 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,392 times
Unfortunately, Josh, Madison isn't a cheap place to live, and the west side is generally more expensive than the east side. For the type of place you describe, you'd probably be looking at $1,250 or more per month. You can find perfectly decent places for less, of course, but if you want the newer place with the pool and the fitness center, and neighbors who are affluent young professionals rather than families, I don't think you're going to find it for the price you are willing to pay.

I'd definitely recommend avoiding the Luann Lane address you mention. Chelito is quite correct about its problems, and her description of areas to look at and avoid in the south-Madison/Fitchburg area is spot-on as well.

One thing that does occur to me is to suggest you might look a little farther afield, in the smaller communities west of Madison. Cross Plains, Black Earth, Mazomanie, Mount Horeb and the like are all at least somewhat closer to MATC-West than Baraboo is, and you might be able to find something a little more modestly priced that has at least some of the amenities you seek.

Good luck, and I hope you find a spot you like, or at least can tolerate. Keep in mind, though, that you won't be there forever, and living in a less-than-perfect apartment while attending college is something that I suspect many or most of us have done. The whole point of going to college is to learn the skills that will allow you to earn the kind of money to afford the lifestyle you desire, and sometimes a little sacrifice or hardship along the way is necessary.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:26 PM

10 posts, read 35,549 times
Hi there,

Not sure what the going rates are at now, but my husband and I used to live at Highland Ridge apartments on Highland Way in Middleton. Managed by TR Mckenzie. We really loved it there and had almost no complaints. It was super quiet, rent was very affordable considering location and apartment features (I think some units are more updated than others), etc. Also the Pheasant Branch conservancy is right in the backyard. It would probably only be about 10 min or so to MATC West. It's a great location because it's tucked away from street noise, etc but not too far from anything.

Only thing is, it doesn't have a pool, or a fitness center...so in that regard it isn't as upscale, but considering what you can afford, it may be more realistic. Also from many, many exhausting apartment searches I can tell you that a LOT of places around here are either bad management or bad neighborhood...no place is perfect but if I had to live somewhere again on your budget (or less), I would go back to Highland Way.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Thanks gang for the help. I've honestly toured about 14+ complexes. It's getting exhausting.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:22 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,298 times
Westhaven Village used to be nice and inexpensive, but I've heard the neighborhood had gone down hill. Two bedroom, Two bath loft for $845 I think it is worth checking out at least.

Home | Westhaven Village

Old 09-05-2011, 10:16 PM

Megan, I was going to check out WHV but the leasing agent had no models to show and she seemed kinda prudish. I was looking at TRMackenzie website as they have a few nice properties. We will see.

I was also looking at properties south of the beltline around Elver Park. For example Maple Grove? Is the Raymond Road, Mckenna Blvd, S. Gammon a quiet area?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:39 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,298 times
I could be wrong, but you don't strike me as a "hanging from the chandlers" kind of guy. I would give whv another chance. They were really nice when I lived there, the question is whether they've been maintained.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:10 AM

What does "hanging from the chandlers" kind of guy mean? lol

Where I live in Baraboo is a nice place, it's the drive that kills me. I spend alot of time in Madison besides school and would love to live closer to it all. Now the amenities I'm looking for are just things I'd like to have...

Old 09-06-2011, 08:35 AM

467 posts, read 1,890,643 times
The UW Arboretum is a great place to see fall colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison