Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:58 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times

Advertisements

You are correct NonExpat. It wasn't the specific examples he or she cited, it was the basic idea that it takes a certain kind of person to appreciate or want to live in Madison, especilly if they are a young adult. There are differences, and I agree, it isn't brainwashing or lacking goals *****...but take away those charged comments and the rest of the post gives an insightful view regarding what is important to a lot of young adults...and things that they will not readily have in Madison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:40 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Ignore these stupid "Top Ten" lists. I have no idea where they get their choices. Most of the time they look like they were chosen by throwing darts at a map.
Eg. When I lived in Goldsboro, NC, it was picked as one of the "Top Ten" places in the country to live. Everyone who lived there laughed. The schools were some of the worst in the country. My guess is that someone in Goldsboro paid for the town to be put on the list.
Example #2. Lubbock Texas was recently labeled one of the "Top Ten", most dangerous cities in America to live. Its a joke. Just look at the crime statistics for the last 5 years in the CD listing. We're nowhere close. Its actually pretty safe over all as big cities go. What was left off the list. Cities like Philadelphia, Chicago, St. Louis, East St. Louis.

Point is, ignore those "Top Ten" lists. They are like most of what is printed in the media anymore. A pack of lies.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:31 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
Well, these top ten lists sure get the locals talking, as well as folks who are not so local. It all just perpetuates free advertising for the list, of which I am willingly taking part.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 AM

607 posts, read 977,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
You are correct NonExpat. It wasn't the specific examples he or she cited, it was the basic idea that it takes a certain kind of person to appreciate or want to live in Madison, especilly if they are a young adult. There are differences, and I agree, it isn't brainwashing or lacking goals *****...but take away those charged comments and the rest of the post gives an insightful view regarding what is important to a lot of young adults...and things that they will not readily have in Madison.
I spoke the truth in my earlier post in this thread. The "brainwashing" is in reference to those who grew up in the area and mock any idea of living in a different city because nothing can be as good as living in Madison.

The other poster that didn't like some aspects of my list wasn't able to connect with the meaning of some of the things in my list.

Some young adults need the college atmosphere to continue to feel young and some want to get away from it. That is refereed to living in a city where the main emphasis is the universtiy vs a working city like New York.

The majority of managers, VPs, etc, have been in the city for over 20 years and never left after college. A lot of those jobs have become occupied and will not be opening for at least a couple of decades until those people start to retire. I am not the only person who picked up on this that is in my social circle. When you have interviewed at various companies all around the city and keep finding out that the manager is from UW Madison you tend to pick up on a trend.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:56 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Yes, Madison is certainly limited in opportunities, it is like a small town in that regard. There are only so many companies to apply at, so people know people for sure and there aren't tons of upper management positions waiting to be filled.

The people who think "this is God's country" and would never want to live anywhere else is prevelent, but you see that in other places as well. I will say that it is quite common though and can feel like you are being put down or something is wrong with you for not "loving" Madison.

There is also, ontop of that, a tendency to look down on other areas. I think this last part is what bothers people because they are alienated if they don't have the same ideas, mindset or certain appreciation that the majority does have in Madison.

I don't think that is brainwashing, it seems more like people are just isolated from interaction with people that are different from them and they live in the Madison bubble. People are a product of their environment, so it is understandable to an extent. Plus, many things work the right way in Madison, it is friendly, laid back, safe, there is a high quality of life, low unemployment, good schools, etc. and this is what many people use as their "proof" that they are right, especially when they hear about things goings on in nearby cities and states.

Personally, I think Madison needs more balance, a broader group of people that more accurately represent the makeup of the country...but that isn't Madison's fault that a more diverse group of people don't live here. I think Madison would love it if that happened lol.

Over time, the city is sloooowly diversifying regarding race, political ideas and socioeconomically. It will never be on par with truely diverse cities in that regard, but it is certainly a tolerable place overall. If someone has a 4 year stint here at the UW, they may very well be excited to move away after that. But to find someone who was miserable here for those 4 years would be somewhat uncommon. That is because Madison is nice in general, it just isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
I spoke the truth in my earlier post in this thread. The "brainwashing" is in reference to those who grew up in the area and mock any idea of living in a different city because nothing can be as good as living in Madison.

The other poster that didn't like some aspects of my list wasn't able to connect with the meaning of some of the things in my list.

Some young adults need the college atmosphere to continue to feel young and some want to get away from it. That is refereed to living in a city where the main emphasis is the universtiy vs a working city like New York.

The majority of managers, VPs, etc, have been in the city for over 20 years and never left after college. A lot of those jobs have become occupied and will not be opening for at least a couple of decades until those people start to retire. I am not the only person who picked up on this that is in my social circle. When you have interviewed at various companies all around the city and keep finding out that the manager is from UW Madison you tend to pick up on a trend.
Obviously New York, Chicago, Dallas are all big cities with millions of people. I don't think anyone would try to say living in Madison is like living in any of those places. Of course people who are born and reared in Wisconsin would like it and want to stay more than many outsiders since they have family and experience and a sense of place.

This isn't brainwashing or being stupid or having a lack of goals. It happens everywhere. Try living in Texas for years as I did. People there think it is the best place ever and declare, "I'm a fourth generation Texan" proudly. Well, I'm a fifth generation Wisconsinite, and it has never occurred to me to boast about it, nor have I heard others say such a thing, but it is common in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: