U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 AM

16 posts, read 24,602 times

Advertisements

I'm a 33 year old single young professional who is excited to have a great new job based in the Madison region. I'm a field sales manager so I will travel throughout western Wisconsin and Madison is the best area for me.

I've found it quite surprising how few condos or apartments in Madison fit my bill (under $250,000, allow a medium sized dog, have an open loft feel, have "character" instead of cookie-cutter amenities).

I think I've located a great little development in Middleton - a loft that's in my price range, will allow my dog, has a balcony, exposed brick, high ceilings, tons of character. I have not been able to find a comparable place in Madison.

My only dilemma is that I was eager to network and date in Madison (single, know nobody) and I worry that being out in Middleton might isolate me to the extent where my social life suffers. I am at a stage in my life where I am unwilling to risk a DUI, so if the only social scene is 15 minutes away in Madison I would be limited to 2 drinks or so for the entire night

Would I be able to have fun in Middleton? Do they have young professionals organizations or any semblance of nightlife? Do single kids in the mid to late 20's and early 30's buy in Middleton?

Thanks much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 02:35 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,638,476 times
Well, being an east-side-Madisonian, I can't really comment on Middleton's social scene, but I guess it's hard for me to see what prevents you from engaging in social activities in Madison if you'd be 15 minutes from downtown. I appreciate (and agree with!) your desire to avoid a DUI, but is intoxication an absolute must for socializing? And if it is, do you have a problem with the idea of taking a cab home if you get to the point of being unsafe to drive? Also, do your social interests involve large numbers of college students? You can find other people partying downtown, of course, but the vast majority of the folks you see getting falling-down silly on a typical weekend night are students at the UW.

I guess if I found a possible home that met as many of my needs as the place you describe seems to meet of yours, I wouldn't be so worried about a 15-minute commute to reach the downtown area. It's not like you're planning to live in Mt. Horeb or Spring Green or something; Middleton is seen by many folks as an extension of Madison, and it's a very desirable address to have, to boot. If it suits you as well as you describe, then take the plunge.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM

959 posts, read 1,017,124 times
I agree. Middleton will be quiet when you want quiet and you can easily head downtown for some more excitement whenever the need arises.

In addition, Middleton is a desireable area due to the schools and other amenities, so home resale could be easier for you in the future should you decide to move.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:02 AM

36,599 posts, read 57,896,760 times
It's really not that hard to travel 4 miles to downtown Madison to socialize.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 AM

2,542 posts, read 1,962,174 times
4 miles? I would jog there if it was cool enough to prevent sweating, then take a cab home. Or make some friends closeby, find a hotel room, or whatever. A professional should be able to afford it. Hopefully Madison is not one of those towns where the cops nail you for just walking around outside drunk. Seems like some areas are more lax then others. You could always invite a woman over to your place instead of course and drink there, which is my preferred method.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM

95 posts, read 168,515 times
I live in Middleton and am also a Realtor so I'm going to give you my advice on both the condo and the scene.
My opinion is that the entire Madison area can be a tough place to date/make friends in your thirties if you don't figure out something you like to do besides go to the bars. My suggestion is to find something, either a sport or charity or intellectual persuit and start your group of friends through that.
Condos are also tough. We have a huge inventory of condos in the Madison area. It's good that you are looking for something that isn't cookie cutter, because cookie cutter is going to be really hard to sell. Middleton isn't quite as over-burdened with condos as many areas so it's also a good choice. If you must buy a condo it sounds like you are on the right track.
I commend you on your desire not to drink and drive, but I will tell you right up front that if you want to go to downtown Madison a taxi is not going to be cheap. We've done it, but more often we go with a group and either designate a driver or share a cab. Of course the cab option is a lot less expensive than a DUI.
There are a lot of great dining spots and bars in the Middleton area, but you most likely won't be walking to them either. You can meet some nice thirty-somethings in the Middleton area bars, but like I said you'd be better off finding people doing something other than hitting the bar scene.
Madison is a great place to live, but we aren't a big city.
Middleton is a fantastic place to live and resale is generally higher than Madison but there are no guarantees.
I'm hoping that you are working with a buyer's agent that knows the area and the market so that you can make a well informed decision.
Best of luck and welcome to the area!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:53 PM

40 posts, read 35,982 times
I don't live in Madison, but I'm hoping to move there next year. I think it's true what others have said regarding making new friends in your 30's, especially in a college town.

Here is a website where you can find other people in your area to do things with: Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup. And not just going to bars, but any kind of activity you can think of. I'm a member here in Milwaukee and have made so many new friends over the last few years. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison