Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 PM

41 posts, read 77,300 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have an opportunity to move back to Madison from Florida. The ONLY thing holding me back is the long periods of darkness due to both shorter winter days and the high number of overcast/dreary days. It puts my depression into overdrive.

When the sun is out, I feel like anything is possible. Where I live now has about 300 days of sunshine each year.

Does anyone have any experience using those special lights? Do they really help? I'm wondering if I could actually live back there during the winters again and feel alive, or if the lights only have a limited effect.

Anyone with any similar experience, please let me know if you were able to notice a difference.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 04:57 PM

182 posts, read 612,493 times
I have a friend who uses an Ion Therapy Lamp and he's happy with the purchase.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:29 AM

95 posts, read 291,062 times
I have never lived in the sunshine state, but I do have a light and I really think it helps. However, I have found that getting outside and doing something for 20 minutes each day helps more than the light does. Some days it's really hard to go outside (i.e. when it's 7 degrees), but it makes such a huge difference I decided that it was worth it. I try and get out for a walk or ski or sometimes just shoveling is enough. Hope this helps!
Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:16 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,019,345 times
just make sure when you see the sun come up and it looks beautiful outside.... that you do heed the weather forecast and dress for it. Some days that sun did make it reasonable to go out and do something in the cold. Other days, well that sun would be deceiving and a cold reality would slap you right across that bare face lol.

All the years we were up there, even when we were not happy and knew we were relocating, we never tried any indoor lamps to copy the sun's effects. But yes if the weather permits and you get some fresh air, that can make a difference even if temporary. Heck no different then down here; a few days of overcast/rain/"cold" and when the sun does break it always feels good to get out in it.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,183 times
I never really had problems with winter when I was younger, but as they years have passed I've noticed a clear mood change during the winter months. My wife is also the same way, so we've considered trying those lights. However the problem for us is the amount of time recommended to spend in front of them each day. We have too much going on to spend 30-60 minutes each day looking at a light.

If your job/life opportunity is too good to pass up, there may be ways to make Madison work for you, and you are aware of the risk. But if you are generally happy in FL, you may not wish to purposefully put a big obstacle to life enjoyment in your way. Only you know your situation the best.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:39 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
I heard they work and I thought about buying some lights as well, for now I make sure I take my one a day vitamin and separate vitamin D pills. I have also heard people taking 5 HTP as well for this condition.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:31 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,019,345 times
guess one just has to embrace all they can when they relocate. At least the OP is familiar with Madison and what it has to offer; though i'd still think that going back from FL may still take some time to adjust again. Heck as we've only been in SC 3 years after moving from Madison area it didnt take long for us to acclimate to the warm/hot weather down here. To the point that while we know 20 above zero is not bitter cold, we sure as heck dont miss the real cold and snow and would never move back.
Just seems odd to have to use false lighting to try and pull one out of a deep funk. If they work and honestly help then that's obviously better then dealing with depression. But it's almost like knowing you have to take a pill to get over something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison