Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times

Advertisements

Living surrounded by people who are on the opposite end of the political spectrum from you is hell, even if they are nice as pie about it. I'm a liberal who comes from a very right leaning family. I have to bite my tongue throughout the holidays. Living this way 24/7 would be hell indeed, even if your neighbors are accepting of your views. It just gets wearisome having to always either hold your tongue or fighting a loosing battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 PM

63 posts, read 170,655 times
As a conservative who has lived in Madison before, it certainly wasn't "hell". It all just depends on how open-minded one is... Madison has a lot of wonderful qualities about it and I enjoyed it (and continue to enjoy it when I'm there) in many ways. I certainly didn't let the fact that most of my neighbors were way more liberal than me effect me in any way...it was no big deal....

Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Living surrounded by people who are on the opposite end of the political spectrum from you is hell, even if they are nice as pie about it.
I too would disagree, I live in liberal gay valley of Milwaukee and I have to walk past 8,000 recall walker signs and a lot my neighborhood friends are all liberal and some very extreme by their own account. We all get along fine, it's not like we are talking politics 24/7. When talking about the brewers, bucks, drinks, vacations we have taken politics just doesn't come up. I think the whole living among the other side is way over blown. While politics and the outcome of politics is very important is also very important to keep in mind where it falls in the grand scheme of things in life.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 AM

63 posts, read 170,655 times
I will add that Madison isn't anywhere as close to "liberal" as many there think it is. A lot of people there follow the Democratic Party, true enough, but try being a Black person or Mexican who wants to open a bar there. How many Black people have served on the City Council there in the last 15 years? One? Two?

A lot of people in Madison talk a liberal game but are resistant to more funding for public schools, especially if it means giving up more tax dollars, too. Which really is a much more conservative viewpoint than they'd like to admit...

Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 PM

87 posts, read 150,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_South View Post
And THERE, ladies and gentlemen, is an inside peek at how tolerant of others the typical Madison "liberal" is....
I agree and have experienced that. If the transplant opens his mouth and has a southern accent, he'll be looked upon as racist, stupid, etc. so I recommend that if someone from the south moves up here and isn't black, they move to a smaller town outside of madison. The areas suggested are west high/UW professor area, so that tends to be in a cocoon.

I'd suggest getting a realtor, but also fly up here, get a motel and drive around. Then also do research on prospective areas--data driven research that is.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,889 times
Well I am liberal, but very open minded. I am not to concerned with any liberal/conservative areas. But, thanks for all the advice. I think we are looking in the west madison/middleton area.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 PM

87 posts, read 150,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellarose08 View Post
Well I am liberal, but very open minded.
Then you should enjoy madison and the west side more than the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison