Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:25 AM

108 posts, read 401,589 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think finding acerage and water front may not be possible anywhere close to Madison. However, after doing a search for water front properties within 20 miles on Realtor.Com their are 77 properties on the water. Some of these include; Lake Wisconsin, Yahara River, Rice Lake, Sugar River, Rock River, Lake Koshkonong, & the Wisconsin River. Is anyone familiar with any of these? Are any of these good for Water skiing, sand bars, fishing etc. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 02:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty8940 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think finding acerage and water front may not be possible anywhere close to Madison. However, after doing a search for water front properties within 20 miles on Realtor.Com their are 77 properties on the water. Some of these include; Lake Wisconsin, Yahara River, Rice Lake, Sugar River, Rock River, Lake Koshkonong, & the Wisconsin River. Is anyone familiar with any of these? Are any of these good for Water skiing, sand bars, fishing etc. Thanks
Where on the Yahara River? Yahara is the river that links a handful of lakes together, including Lake Mendota and Lake Monona, the two lakes that surround downtown Madison. If you're on a navigable part of the river, you'll have access to these two lakes and Lake Kegongsa and Lake Wabesa. The suitability of these lakes for fishing and waterskiing is somewhat questionable thanks to industrial pollution, agricultural runoff, and the resultant algae blooms that plague the lakes starting in early to mid summer. Sand bars? Mmmm.... not so much.

Some parts of the Wisconsin River are suitable for waterskiing, depending on how close you are to Lake Wisconsin, which is really just a wide part of the river. Plenty of sand bars, particularly on the portion just north of the lake. The downside is Lake Wisocnsin can get massively crowded on weekends. Don't know much about the quality of fishing on the river or in Lake Wisconsin.

Rock River.... don't think I've ever seen anyone waterskiing on it. It's probably wide enough and deep enough for it technically.... but a less than ideal environment for water skiing.

Rice Lake in Dane County (there's more than one Rice Lake in the state) is an oversized mud puddle.

Don't know much about the rest.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:20 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,603,949 times
Have you tried Crystal Lake up by Lodi?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,193 times
Actually, the Rock-Aqua Jays ski on the Rock River....

But all I can ever think of when I hear about it is EW. It is a really grungy, stinky river.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:17 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty8940 View Post
as noted, and depending on how each summer plays out, any waters in the Madison chain of lakes can and have had issues with water clarity, algae bloom, etc which is a shame as they are nice bodies of water for recreation. Some years were ok, but others had serious issues with the algae, actual health concerns including for pets. And any hard flooding brings no-wake zones to the lakes, curbing any boating you may want to try. The Wisconsin River/Lake Wisconsin 'may' be cleaner as far as weeds are concerned (except for the shallows and bays of course) and may also give more options that you are looking for.

One site i used frequently for fishing info when we lived up there is Lake-Link, Find A Lake In Wisconsin
You can find &click on near any lake in the state on there, and while it may be a fishing-based website you'd be surprised the amount of general info you can either read or request from those who use it.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,603,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
as noted, and depending on how each summer plays out, any waters in the Madison chain of lakes can and have had issues with water clarity, algae bloom, etc which is a shame as they are nice bodies of water for recreation. Some years were ok, but others had serious issues with the algae, actual health concerns including for pets. And any hard flooding brings no-wake zones to the lakes, curbing any boating you may want to try. The Wisconsin River/Lake Wisconsin 'may' be cleaner as far as weeds are concerned (except for the shallows and bays of course) and may also give more options that you are looking for.

One site i used frequently for fishing info when we lived up there is Lake-Link, Find A Lake In Wisconsin
You can find &click on near any lake in the state on there, and while it may be a fishing-based website you'd be surprised the amount of general info you can either read or request from those who use it.
I love using Lake Link too. Great source of information. They have forums too!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
Actually, Drover, you can't get to Kegonsa from Mendota/Monona/Waubesa, unless you're in a canoe. The Yahara's never been dredged out that far.
And the Rock River's not bad at all, it's nice and wide at Newville, which is the mouth of Lake Koshkonong. I've seen water skiiers there. Koshkonong is pretty shallow, but still navigable. And the properties are going to be cheaper than on the "Madison lakes".
My problem with boating the Wisconsin River is it's constantly changing and I'm always afraid of hitting a stump or sandbar that wasn't there last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison