U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-18-2007, 02:01 AM

10 posts, read 20,476 times
Default Request for Madison area info

We are a young family with two kids; my oldest is a second grader. I want a good place to raise them: safe, baseball and swim lessons, places to eat out. On the other hand, I'd really like to enjoy the beauty of open Wisconsin land and woodsiness. Our price range is about $210,000. Taxes are a concern, also. Some areas we've considered looking are Oregon, Verona, Mt. Horeb (how far from Middleton?), and maybe Waunakee/Sun Prairie area. It appears that Sun Prairie has high taxes. Anyone know if that is true?
If anyone can tell me anything about any of those areas, I would really appreciate it! Links and other suggestions welcome also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 02:40 AM

Hmm, no feedback?

Old 09-22-2007, 05:36 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,143,898 times
You might get more responses if you start a thread titled with the specific communities that interest you. I checked this one because I'm fairly familiar with Madison itself, but when I saw that you were looking for data on Oregon, Verona, Mt. Horeb, etc, I did not reply, because I'm not as knowledgable about those communities as I am about Madison.

There are several threads that have been started in the past month or so that would contain some useful information for you. Since you mention wanting links, you may want to look at this one in particular: http://www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...adison-wi.html. Again, it's focused more on Madison than on the surrounding communities, but some would be relevant to Dane County as a whole, as well as Madison.

Good luck in your move.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:15 PM

Thank you for responding, that does make sense.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:38 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,350,920 times
Prices and taxes are high ANYWHERE in Dane County, and the tren ANYWHERE in Dane County is urbanization...so I wouldn't buy a wooded lot or lots of open land, expecting it to remain that way for many more years....this is a very desireable county in the state..it is expensive and growing. If you want cheaper, with trees, hills and open space to stay that way for a reasonable amount of time, try areas in adjacent counties, like Iowa County (past Blue Mounds)...it has good access to West Madison, maybe a 30 minute drive at most. Otherwise, you will pay a premium for the soon to be developed land...and trust me, if you see it as desireable, so will others, and it is not financially viable to farm land that has more potential as a subdivision or superstore...especially with escalating taxes.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 PM

48 posts, read 167,644 times
Where are your jobs going to be located? The entire Madison area is loaded with wonderful parks, bike trails, and organized recreation activities. Owning land may not be what you really need, just access to it. All of the out lying areas have pros and cons. Actually Columbia county has lower taxes. More of a commute. So I would say, try to stay as close to the job as possible, the rest will fall into place.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:18 PM

That's good to know. My husband will be working in Sun Prairie. I plan to go to school.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:02 PM

14 posts, read 30,555 times
I'm not aware of significant tax savings anywhere in Dane county. I thought a condo would be cheaper but actually I learned that taxes are a percentage of the property value. You pay no matter what so you might as well get something you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison