U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2006, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,740 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering attending the university of wisconsin at madison to study polish. i will be living off campus though and i have no idea where to start looking for an apartment in terms of location, neighborhoods, ets. can somebody please give me some pointers? Ive never been to wisconsin or the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 10:25 PM

22 posts, read 5,012 times
Default University website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apreel View Post
I am seriously considering attending the university of wisconsin at madison to study polish. i will be living off campus though and i have no idea where to start looking for an apartment in terms of location, neighborhoods, ets. can somebody please give me some pointers? Ive never been to wisconsin or the midwest.
Start with the UW website (www.wisc.edu) (broken link). There's quite a bit of housing information there. Then search on Madison, Wisconsin for city sites, as well as the Madison newspaper online.

Just websearch (google or other search engine) on topics of interest and you'll find out tons of information.

If you find apartments and can't figure distance to UW, use mapquest or another online mapping tool.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:22 AM
LML

7,090 posts, read 5,411,700 times
Right now there is more available student housing than use to be the case. The UW recently built new dorms and many students who previously rented off campus housing have chosen to live in these slick new dorms. So you should have no problem finding off campus housing. Call or email the student services center and they can give you a list.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:00 PM

21 posts, read 89,180 times
Default What's most important to you?

There are many possibilities-- it depends on what you value most.

Closeness to campus? A particular flavor to the neighborhood (e.g. preppier vs counterculture)? House/flat vs. vertical complex? Will you have a car or only bicycle? Want to live alone or interested in sharing a flat or co-op (cooperative living house) with others?

During my time there, i lived both off campus in flats with several other guys (splitting the rent) and on campus, in several co-ops. The co-op route is pretty good if you enjoy being around other people. In many of the co-ops, people take turns cooking the supper meal for all the residents (though joining this is often optional).

These two methods are among the most economical as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: