Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 PM
a_k a_k started this thread

17 posts, read 31,502 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job opportunity in Beloit and am looking for input on what would be some good places to live in. We would prefer staying near Madison because we both grew up in large cities and Beloit would likely feel too small. Also, we both grew up in India, and would prefer staying in at least a somewhat diverse area. Other considerations:

* Good public schools (we have a 3 yr old) -- although not a must-have if there are decent private schools nearby
* Prefer suburban locations as opposed to city proper or rural
* Access to shopping -- decent mall, Costco, etc.
* Not more than 45 minutes one-way commute to/from Beloit
* Easy highway access
* Being near a lake would be nice, and so would being near a golf course/club
* Would consider staying in the direction of Milwaukee instead of Madison if there are better options that fit the above criteria

I saw Evansville listed as one option that fits some of the criteria above. Would like opinions on Evansville as well as any other places you'd recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,379,322 times
Madison is a one hour commute to Beloit in perfect driving weather conditions, so you would have to stay at least 15 minutes south of Madison. Realistically, you would probably have to look in the Evansville/Edgerton area. Both are very rural and I don't think you'd be happy in either town. There isn't much between Beloit and Madison in terms of major cities. Perhaps Rockford would be more appropriate?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,757,194 times
I wouldn't even consider rockford. They have a horrible school system and bad crime for a city of its size. Milton or South Beloit Illinois are other options to consider.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 PM

I agree Rockford isn't a wonderful choice, but their alternatives are limited if they want to stay in a city of at least 150K.

South Beloit is not a place I would ever consider - similar to your observations of Rockford - horrible crime and terrible schools.

Honestly, if I were considering an international move, it would have to be one hell of a job to convince me to move to the Beloit, WI area.

Then again, I am biased. Madison & Minneapolis are about the only two places I would actually choose in midwestern United States.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:06 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,100,973 times
Remember, this poster wants to be near a mall and in a suburban area (yet cheap and nice, lol). That rules out most recommendations so far.

The bottom line is, there are a few choices: Madison, Janesville, Beloit and Rockford are the only places that offer real shopping vs. just a town with a Wal Mart or mom and pop stores and that are not rural. All of these places have their pros and and you need to weigh them because you make the call ultimately.

Madison has the best schools, is the largest, has the best shopping, is the most expensive for housing costs and is the farthest commute-an hour.

Janesville is 20 minutes away, has standard shopping and a mall, is safe, affordable and clean. It's a small city that could pass as a large suburb based on it's upkeep and decent schools. Personally, I think it has most of what you are looking for if you don't mind the fact that it isn't a large city. It is not very diverse though so I am not sure if you would find an Indian Market there.

Beloit makes sense as you will work there. The crime is not as bad as people say, it is a small city in between Rockford and Janesville. Affordable as well, but lacking in shopping...but then again, Rockford and Janesville are within 20 minutes so it may not be an issue. It is diverse and has many decent areas and there are acceptable schools. In general, people in the US write off communities if they have a known bad area and overgeneralize that all the city or school is bad because of this. That is why Beloit tends to get a bad rap.

Rockford is in Illinois...so it's expensive all around. There are many perfectly fine areas in north and east Rockford with schools that are what you want. Plenty of shopping as well (too much). Essentially, it would offer what Madison would, assuming you find housing in a good school district/attendance area, which I'm sure you can. But remember, a home in a good school district/attendnce area will cost more...so private school may be more practical as part of th trade off if you pick a more affordable home Rockford. The only downside IMO is you would be living in Illinois and paying even more money overall...(taxes) but it comes down to what you want. Rockford has a very industrial and urban base, or it did historically, so it has it's urban areas and a wider socioeconomic range that what you would see in Madison (which is more suburban in demographics overall). But it is the most diverse city as well out of the realistic choices. So, if you overcome people's disuassion to Rockford, it could be a viable option if that hour commute to Madison isn't for you or JV and Beloit are too small.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:44 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,970,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Rockford is in Illinois...so it's expensive all around. There are many perfectly fine areas in north and east Rockford with schools that are what you want. Plenty of shopping as well (too much). Essentially, it would offer what Madison would, assuming you find housing in a good school district/attendance area, which I'm sure you can. But remember, a home in a good school district/attendnce area will cost more...so private school may be more practical as part of th trade off if you pick a more affordable home Rockford. The only downside IMO is you would be living in Illinois and paying even more money overall...(taxes) but it comes down to what you want. Rockford has a very industrial and urban base, or it did historically, so it has it's urban areas and a wider socioeconomic range that what you would see in Madison (which is more suburban in demographics overall). But it is the most diverse city as well out of the realistic choices. So, if you overcome people's disuassion to Rockford, it could be a viable option if that hour commute to Madison isn't for you or JV and Beloit are too small.
it's been some years since i spent any time in Rockford but i used to run delivery routes there and one could find nicer areas to live/shop in (no different then any other metro market). Knowing how winters can be, i myself would not live in Madison and work in Beloit as there will be times that 45 min drive will be much much longer.....
I'd second Janesville, again one should be able to find an area where housing and schools work for them and the drive to Rockford/Madison for a day of shopping or recreation is not that bad. I'd also have to think Janesville has to be cheaper then Madison to live in

Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 PM

Janesville is cheaper and in many ways like a suburb, but diversity was an important point for the original poster. I grew up in Janesville and my mom and sister still live there so I spend time there on a regular basis. Most of the people of color there are black and economically disadvantaged. There are some middle to upper class people of color, but they are few enough that they stand out. That said, people are fairly accepting of people in the later category. An Asian Indian would face a certain amount of prejudice in Janesville and would most definitely be stared at in public, however. People in Janesville have become accustomed to African Americans, but Asians of any nationality are a curiosity there.

The more we talk about this the more Rockford is sounding like the best option. I can't say I'd want to live there, but there are worst places and in all fairness I don't spend a lot of time there.

Madison is just too far away to be practical. You would have to allow for at least an hour to an hour and a half commute in bad winter weather. Plus, if shopping is important to you, you'd want to live on the West side of Madison. East Towne is not all that nice and only has the very basic chain stores. You have to go to West Towne for William Sonoma, Pottery Barn and the Apple Store. The west side is a solid 20 minute drive from the interstate and usually more like a half hour.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. They are very insightful and helpful.

Sorry, I should have clarified -- I am not moving from out of the country. I have been in the country for over 15 yrs and currently live in PA. Living in the suburbs, we are used to not living in very diverse areas ... although I must say I haven't felt stared at, or maybe I just don't pay attention. Also, I am not as worried about cost of living because if I move there, it would be for a substantial pay hike for a senior exec role.

Also, my wife may disagree, but shopping is perhaps not as important as some of the other factors as long as there's a decent grocery store (not mom-and-pop) within a 15-20 minute drive.

Megan1967 - I'd like to hear more from you about Evansville/Edgerton. Other than the fact that they are rural, are there any reasons not to consider them? They seem to be mid-way between Madison and Beloit, so commute would be tolerable yet having easy access to Madison on weekends.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:36 AM

Evansville is *slightly* more sophisticated than Edgerton and of the two, the one that would best meet your needs. Evansville has more cultural opportunities - a good library, a fine arts community, theater, restaurants, etc. This is a relative statement, however. Edgerton has a library, but that is about where it's cultural sophistication ends.

Both Edgerton and Evansville have very agricultural based economies and most of the people who live these towns either were farmers at one point or are related to farmers. Almost everyone is related by blood in some way and they all know everything about everyone else.

These small towns are not at all similar their suburban equivalents population-wise. They exist to serve the surrounding agricultural community as a place to send their kids to school, a place to get staples without having to drive all the way to Janesville or Madison, a social gathering center and a place to sell their goods. Suburbs, by contrast, exist to house the workforce for a larger metro area. These different purposes for existence makes for very different inhabitants. What I'm saying is a rural town of 5,000 is not at all like a suburban town of 5,000 people.

I'm sure you are planning to check these towns out in advance and I encourage you to do so. You will have a better idea of what I am trying to describe.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:58 AM

What about Oregon, WI? Do you think it would meet my criteria (other than commute time) better? Even though I am not a Buddhist, I like the fact that it has a Buddhist Monastery ... shows some diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison