Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
You know Ranger, South Carolina is on the map for Culver's markets where it wants to open restaurants and looking for franchisees....so it probably won't be too long before you have one around there.

I was just in a Culver's in Arizona and it was a weird feeling. Same food, same taste...but you don't have the busy feeling like it is in Wisconsin. It is like one of another million places to go and most people don't know of or appreciate Culver's outside of their core market, unless they knew the chain from the Upper Midwest.

Same goes for Sonic in Wisconsin. I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens if and when Chick-fil-a gets here.

I hope Culver's catches on in the new markets...they have a more contemporary design that doesn't feel like a you are dining in grandma's kitchen on the farm. The also have a more attractive, upscale look at the newer locations I saw in Arizona. I think that will help in their expansion.

To be honest, I have tried chains that have cult followings (like In N Out) and although decent, it doesn't seem worthy of all it's praise. I think people outside of the Midwest may view Culver's similarly. Maybe we are predisposed to liking what we grew up with? Not sure. But this certainly is an interesting thread.

Also, Hardee's used to be big up here...but it isn't really big anywhere nowadays. It is around, but it isn't as common anywhere out of the rural south.

We don't have Bojangles or Zaxby's. We did get some Popeye's which closed also, but I think there is still one in Fitchburg.

It really is odd how some chains kill in one area and fizzle out in another.
we actually were lifelong WI residents and lived in Madison 'burbs for 25 years before our relocate to SC 3 yrs ago so are quite familar with the tasty treats at Culvers lol (and have family in the biz). We do have a lot of Sonic's down here, which make sense as you can have a drive in year round. Dont worry, no jokes inserted about how nice it is in Feb to drop the top and take a drive for an outdoor lunch break
I do agree about growing up with certain chains; i think that's the kicker here with Chick Fila. For my wife and I its decent enough but Bojangles and Zaxbys is better in our opinions. But tell that to the lines blocking traffic to get into their 'fila for lunch each day. I think regional chains can be successful if they venture into other areas, especially if that new area has it's own transplants used to said restaraunt.
I'm sure everyone who moves away misses something about their food. Locals here arent always sure what a good brat is, have no concept of cheese curds, and (for those of us who grew up in WI) the idea of those long gone candy raisens makes no sense at all... good thing we're hitting Wi in a month so we can stop at the local cheese house to stock up on curds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 12:50 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
I remember when I was younger, We had a Hardees in Portage and in Baraboo. They both closed in the early 2000's. Baraboo used to have a Taco Johns. I also think that Culvers will make a go of the southeast U.S. I would like to see a Church's Chicken here in Madison, also when I was in Washington DC I enjoyed a place called Roy Rogers, it was very good.

Yum Culvers cheese curds does sound good right now.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I remember when I was younger, We had a Hardees in Portage and in Baraboo. They both closed in the early 2000's. Baraboo used to have a Taco Johns. I also think that Culvers will make a go of the southeast U.S. I would like to see a Church's Chicken here in Madison, also when I was in Washington DC I enjoyed a place called Roy Rogers, it was very good.

Yum Culvers cheese curds does sound good right now.
and to think back in my day, we had to go to Portage for dining and fun (ie cruising 4 lanes). You knew you were hitting the high life when we'd go from montello to portage to eat at pizza hut lol. that's how you treated your girl to a good time

Old 02-08-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
and to think back in my day, we had to go to Portage for dining and fun (ie cruising 4 lanes). You knew you were hitting the high life when we'd go from montello to portage to eat at pizza hut lol. that's how you treated your girl to a good time

Wow, Did you grow up around Portage and Montello?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Wow, Did you grow up around Portage and Montello?
went to HS in montello in late 70's, actually used to stay up there as a kid at one of the resorts each summer. still have family up there. So yeah we're pretty familar with the area; weird to see how some things in either town changed over the years yet others are the same as decades ago

Old 02-08-2012, 05:11 PM

I agree. I graduated from Portage in 2007. I spent alot of time fishing @ John Muir Park on county F and also on Buffalo Lake. I spent many late nights in high school cruising Marquette county back roads. Ahh good times... What a small world.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I agree. I graduated from Portage in 2007. I spent alot of time fishing @ John Muir Park on county F and also on Buffalo Lake. I spent many late nights in high school cruising Marquette county back roads. Ahh good times... What a small world.
an example of an even smaller world--our first SC neighborhood we moved to, a family down the street saw us in our UW gear and mentioned they were from Poynette recently and lived just down from our daughter back home lol.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
an example of an even smaller world--our first SC neighborhood we moved to, a family down the street saw us in our UW gear and mentioned they were from Poynette recently and lived just down from our daughter back home lol.

Wow, So how do you guys like South Carolina?

Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Wow, So how do you guys like South Carolina?
we moved for the weather (lack of winter, long summers) and love it; only regret is missing our daughter and family back home. Thre are lots of nice people here, we're 2 hours from the mountains and 2 hours from Charleston and the ocean so either can be done in a day trip. And plenty of good southern cooking to enjoy on those hot lazy days lol

Old 02-09-2012, 04:42 AM

I guess back to the orignal thread lol; i would wonder a bit on how Chick Fila would do up there overall. Like KFC it's a chicken place only (though i'd say better food); but unlike all the other fast food locations they will be closed on Sundays. That seems OK down here in the 'bible belt', plus people raised on 'Fila know and accept it. But imagine a new location to go eat, and it's closed half of every weekend.
Just wonder if the draw and customer flow the other 6 days can make it successful enough. I'm sure it probably can, just thinking out loud there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison