Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,504 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I'd like to start off by thanking everyone involved for the wonderful information compiled in this forum, I've been using it extensively as I plan my relocation, and have found the advice overall fantastic and very much helpful! Hopefully you can be as much help to me now as well

I'm looking to relocate to Madison in the very near future, but am having some trouble in my apartment-hunting endeavors, most notably in the way of determining the safety of the area. I've been trying to determine where some of the areas to stay away from are, but I've heard people mention that many of the "bad" areas are somewhat landlocked and it very quickly changes between bad and good neighborhoods. Many of the appropriate apartments I've found have been close, but not in these areas. So, for instance, I've heard that the area south of the Beltline around Verona Rd (Allied Community) is not the best of neighborhoods, but I found a seemingly nice apartment just north of the Beltline. Does it bleed over, or are people saying that the areas are very much contained, to the point of neighboring it not being so bad at all?

I've found my housing search severely limited by the face that I have a large dog as well, and many of the apartments I've found within my price range that allow large dogs seem to be in seedy areas.

Being a young, single female, I want to ensure that I choose to live someplace I feel safe, and do not have to be concerned if I feel the need to leave in the middle of the night to go to a convenience store or something. That being said, I think I may be overreacting a bit. Can someone put my mind at ease, or advise me places that really really should be avoided? I'm from Rockford, and have been living most recently in Chicago, and am aware that it's all relative, but I also don't want to dismiss the safety claims that some people here have made. No matter where I lived, I always managed to find someplace that was safe enough, and don't want to break that trend now

And if anyone has any advice on specific apartment complexes with studio/1BRs that allow large dogs and are reasonably priced, it would be very much appreciated. On that front, as an additional addendum, what would you say is an average price for a studio/1BR (say around 400-500 sq ft)? I don't need any frills or luxury living, just someplace clean and safe. Ideally located within Madison proper rather than surrounding communities. In my searches the average seems to be around $750-800 at least, does that sound about right? Any I've seen below 700 seem to fall into what has been portrayed as "seedy" areas.

Sorry that this post has seemingly taken so many directions, but really any advice you can give would help tremendously
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
The thing is, bad is relative. What is bad in Madison probably isn't in most other cities of its size. Fortunately, most of the bad areas-bad by most people's standards from anywhere-would be pockets and small areas. For example, Allied Drive and adjacent streets (but not crossing north of the Beltline-that area is fine). There are some pockets on the SW side as well, likewise in the south central, east and north sides. But they are just pockets. As you have seen though, affordable apartments tend to be in these undesireable neighborhoods, where affordable housing is concentrated.

You are correct, south of the beltline, near Fish Hatchery can be seedy, but it becomes nice rather abruptly, there isn't a lot of spillover in Madison. Bad areas are self contained to quite a large extent.

With all that said, write some of the street names the complexes you are considering are on and we can give more specific feedback. I went to school with someone who lived in a neigborhood that backed up to Allied and it was quite a nice area at the time. Even Arbor Hills (single family home area) is still nice- but it is surrounded by less desireable areas in general. But who knows how these adjacent areas will age as the families have grown up and the elderly couples that remain eventually pass away. Stay tuned. But for now, they are stable.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:22 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,236 times
I think you are a little low for rent for a 1 bedroom.

How much does your dog weigh?

A friend moved in the The Meadows in July and really likes it. Like you said, not a luxury property, but clean, quiet and safe. They have a 40lb dog limit though. Perhaps you could talk to them... Get a reference from former landlords...

Is the complex off Verona Road (Midvale inside the beltline) to the east or the west? I've been in apartment to the west and they seemed fine, but I've heard bad things about the apartments to the East - ironic because it backs up to Nakoma - one of the snazziest neighborhoods in the city.

This is a really nice property company. Unfortunately, they say under 50#, but again, perhaps you can negotiate
http://www.sba-hill.com/107gorham.php

$855

Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 5,577 times
hi there, how about commuting? some of the smaller towns just south of madison are great, i work in madison and live in orfordville ( about 1/2hr south of madison) it's a small town of 1400 people and it's safe here, i lived 9 yrs in janesville and moved because of the crime and drug explosion there, rent here is cheap, i pay $500 for a town home without a rescriction on pets, just a extra $2o on my rent, just a thought

Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,085 times
The great thing about Madison is that because of its relatively small size and good biking infrastructure, you can save a lot of money (and time too) by just using a bicycle as your main mean of transportation, except in the winter for most people, including me (I have friends that keep riding even in the winter!). If you are into biking, you can easily afford a pricier place in the city by saving on gas spent in longer commutes.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
There are some 1 bedroom, quite large apartments on East Pass which is very near PD. These apartments are about 1-2 blocks from a grocery store, Walgreens, fast food places, etc. and within 1/2 mile of gyms, parks, etc. I lived in one for a year while my house was being built and I really enjoyed it. And I had a very large dog while living there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison